Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times

Advertisements

I've been here 9 years now and I have loved my experience here in Charleston. I don't regret moving here at all but I do miss home. Now that I'm retired, I feel the void of family and friendships left behind there. I am not a fan of the winter weather but that will be a great time to rent a place here in Charleston for a few weeks to escape the nasty cold for awhile. In the nine years we've lived here, Charleston has changed dramatically. We live off Bees Ferry and it's so congested now and the traffic is just insane. When we first moved here, this area of Charleston was so isolated and quiet. Not so much anymore. They've mowed down the trees to accommodate large apartment complexes and more subdivisions. The wildlife we enjoyed so much is gone. It will be bittersweet to leave Charleston, but next spring we'll be going back to the north country but I leave with only the best memories of my time spent here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
That’s how census data works, professor. It gets released at the end of the year. There’s not data for 2018 yet. Your article literally makes up a stat that NY state has been losing people and didn’t cite the source.

But that’s fine. Nothing like a little fun-with-google-searches to prop up your flimsy bias with spurious info.
That’s all you did. You did t even read your own article.
New York’s growth is mainly driven by births vs deaths and international immigration. Cut NYC out and you’d lose the international immigration as well.
New York is however bleeding residents to other states. Feel free to read whatever Google stat you want, but people are born in NY and move. That’s why Florida is now larger than New York:

Last edited by Ziggy100; 11-19-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
SC is behind the times, and one of the poorest states in the country. You are justified to miss home. It's pretty on the coast, but is still years behind other major cities. Myrtle Beach is ahead of Charleston with infrastructure and planning, so do not move to Charleston unless you want to step years back and see very poor planning for infrastructure.
You’ve got to be kidding. MB is a dump.
New York and the northeast as a whole consistency rank among the poorest roads in America, and their gas tax is still expensive.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-overhaul.html

Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That’s all you did. You did t even read your own article.
New York’s growth is mainly driven by births vs deaths and international immigration. Cut NYC out and you’d lose the international immigration as well.
New York is however bleeding residents to other states. Feel free to read whatever Google stat you want, but people are born in NY and move. That’s why Florida is now larger than New York:
Lol. I read both articles actually, unlike you. Your article states, inaccurately, that the population of the state of New York fell. Census data, from the same time period in your BS article, shows it actually went up.

Reality: 1
Ziggy: 0

Now you’ve realized your blunder and are quibbling over the details of why and how that’s true. As usual.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkcozmo17 View Post
I moved here to Myrtle beach and I am from upstate n y. Honestly I find it expensive. I think the rent is the same. The gas is cheaper and the electric. For sure it has nicer weather in the winter but I’m beginning to miss the wood burning and the snow.
Jobs are very low paying here and I have the opportunity to go back to n y for Lockheed. Does anyone have any regrets?
I moved from NC to Charleston and stayed 3 years....then moved back to NC....

a lot of reasons but it wäs worth it to make the move again. I missed cold and snow too...plus summer is so darn hot there.

Do what feels right and good luck.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Lol. I read both articles actually, unlike you. Your article states, inaccurately, that the population of the state of New York fell. Census data, from the same time period in your BS article, shows it actually went up.

Reality: 1
Ziggy: 0

Now you’ve realized your blunder and are quibbling over the details of why and how that’s true. As usual.
Here's reality for you. You didn't read both articles.

Here's what my article said:
Quote:
According to recent data, New York state tops the charts in terms of outmigration from the state, and is followed by Illinois, California, New Jersey and Connecticut. All five of these states have negative net migration rates.
While more New Yorkers are leaving the state each year, the question must be asked of where they are going.The top five states that New York migrants head to are Florida, New Jersey, California, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.
Here's your article:
Quote:
The state as a whole has seen its residents depart for other regions in the country to seek jobs and lower retirement costs. This has been offset in part by international immigration with New York City continuing to be an attractive new home.
You posted a link saying the same thing and think you scored some kind of argument points.

I made a general but relevant observation, one everybody else has already noted over the past few decades. You as usual are just trying to make a petty and weak argument on semantics just for the sake of it.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkcozmo17 View Post
I moved here to Myrtle beach and I am from upstate n y. Honestly I find it expensive. I think the rent is the same. The gas is cheaper and the electric. For sure it has nicer weather in the winter but I’m beginning to miss the wood burning and the snow.
Jobs are very low paying here and I have the opportunity to go back to n y for Lockheed. Does anyone have any regrets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I moved from NC to Charleston and stayed 3 years....then moved back to NC....

a lot of reasons but it wäs worth it to make the move again. I missed cold and snow too...plus summer is so darn hot there.

Do what feels right and good luck.

+1 to GeatBlueHeron's post. Charleston is a different animal from Myrtle Beach but if you miss snow, neither one has much to offer. Western NC might be what you're looking for. You can have 4 seasons but it's not nearly as severe as upstate NY. Not sure what the employment opportunities are there... wages will be low but cost of living should be lower too. Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There’s a reason NY is shrinking. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...other.amp.html
You said it was shrinking. I posted a link that showed that's a false statement. Case closed. Go rally against NY in the politics forum if you want to continue.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
You said it was shrinking. I posted a link that showed that's a false statement. Case closed. Go rally against NY in the politics forum if you want to continue.
Thank you semantics police. I made a generalized statement and posted a link to better explain. You felt the need to randly defend New York’s population stats.
Only you would think this is a political discussion.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you semantics police. I made a generalized statement and posted a link to better explain. You felt the need to randly defend New York’s population stats.
Only you would think this is a political discussion.
No, you didn't make a generalized statement. You made an incorrect statement that was the opposite of the truth. I fixed it for you, you didn't like it and now you're quibbling. Just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area