U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 29,873 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Any suggestions on a great location for a casual sunrise wedding on Folly Beach? We are coming from Colorado and dont really know the area.
We are planning late June, casual wedding, on the beach, with about 20 people. We would possibly like the view of the lighthouse (we have seen pictures) if that is a good sunrise photo-op spot. We are big nature fans and originally wanted the mountains to be our back drop but family decides all....
Any tips would be great! Thank you!
Patrice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,688,252 times
This website should answer your questions. My sister was married on the Folly Pier at sunset.

FOLLY BEACH, South Carolina (SC) Home Page

Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 17,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricegonzales View Post
Hello,

Any suggestions on a great location for a casual sunrise wedding on Folly Beach? We are coming from Colorado and dont really know the area.
We are planning late June, casual wedding, on the beach, with about 20 people. We would possibly like the view of the lighthouse (we have seen pictures) if that is a good sunrise photo-op spot. We are big nature fans and originally wanted the mountains to be our back drop but family decides all....
Any tips would be great! Thank you!
Patrice
The Public park on Folly has a very cool shelter that can be rented for weddings!:If I can help, let me know!
[url=http://www.surfergirlchicweddings.com]Surfer Girl Chic Weddings - Home[/url]

Last edited by surfergirlchicweddings; 04-25-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 14,471 times
I am getting married on March 20th and want to rent out the folly beach pier. Does anyone know pricing and who to contact?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM

416 posts, read 1,334,075 times
i would say june is not the best time, unless you do it before school lets out...otherwise all your photos will have people in the background. the beach as a totally differetn feel int he off season. and folly is soooo packed and the traffic is terrible on weekends in summer. march is a much prettier time...and april. even may. by june it is hot and crowded.

i don't think the park on folly is that great for a wedding cause then you don't get the pretty shots and backdrop of the dunes and ocean as well. i'd say the prettiest place is the far tip of the county park, off hours. like midweek at lowtide for a wedding. ther i s a shelter at the county park too...but by june it would be kinda nuts to try to have it there. the parking lot near by is like a zoo once summer hits.

i don't think you can rent out the whole pier.....i ti sopen for fishing and to the public as a county park location.

if i were to be planning a wedding down here, and was thinking about scenery and wedding pics, i totally would plan for it at charleston landing or middleton place in spring amongst the azalea blooms....then have a reception on folly and get pics in both places

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM

83 posts, read 185,561 times
I used to book weddings on Folly Beach, so just wanted to chime in and give you a couple things to be aware of:

1. Always check the tide for timing of the wedding. We’ve had high tide weddings and no room on the beach for guests... but... that's the time the bride insisted on! Guests were forced on the dunes, which is of course a huge ‘no-no.’

2. Season is big as mentioned before. March, April, May, October are great (and popular so book early) wedding months because the weather is typically wonderful. Not too hot and less chance for hurricanes. (hurricane season is June thru October.... but don't let that deter you from planning!) June, July, August and beginning of September are HOT!!!! and HUMID!!!! The breeze from the shore is not even a relief at times, because the air is so warm.

3. If you do not rent chairs for guests, be sure to have a few chairs for any elderly, not only for possible hot, humid days, but also the unsteadiness of the sand. Even think of having a few umbrellas for elderly to provide shade.

4. You'll have to get a party permit from the City of Folly Beach Public Safety to have an event with 75 or more people anywhere on the beach. It's free, easy and you only need to fill out a one-sided piece of paper. It basically just documents for the Public Safety department, that you are authorized to have an event on the beach, and officers are notified to assure there are not any disturbances for you (not that there are.... but they are at least aware) here is the contact person:
Mary Cunningham, CMC
Office: 843-513-1836
Cell: 843-708-1113
Email: mcunningham@cityoffollybeach.com
http://www.cityoffollybeach.com/marriage.html

5. Charleston County Parks and Recreation run both the Folly Fishing Pier and the Folly Beach County Park both mentioned earlier. You can contact them for details and requirements for events:
Beth Kempton (or she can get you to the right person)
Group Sales Coordinator
bkempton@ccprc.com
http://www.ccprc.com/

6. If you plan to marry in front of or in the vicinity of the Holiday Inn Charleston on the Beach hotel, you need to contact their sales department to let them know and be sure they have not already booked weddings for that area of the beach, since their weddings groups get priority of the beach space:
http://www.follybeachhotel.net/weddings/

7. Not a lot of options for large group receptions on Folly, unless you book a meeting room at the Holiday Inn Charleston on the Beach hotel, if I remember correctly, they can hold up to 250. Other places to have a reception if small, is the county park under the shelter (Call Beth @ ccprc above for details), Folly River Park (call Mary @ City of Folly above for details) and maybe a few choice restaurants, but options are small and limited. You may need to go off Folly for receptions pending your ideals.

8. Weather of course is always an issue of concern. Be sure to ask any of the above contacts what your options are and what protocol is followed in the case of looming inclement weather.

Other recommendations...
- best photo ops are at sunrise and sunset, so research the time of year for the best photo times.
- had a bride once who wanted to throw rice, then bird seed... not a great idea unless you want a flock of seagulls picking at you and your guests! We suggest bubbles, bells... anything non-edible and of course bio-degradable
- Morris Island Lighthouse IS a stunning backdrop... however, it is not completely easily accessible when dolled up for a wedding. Cars can go only so far and then you have to walk... maybe 1/2 mile(?... I'm not good with distance, but a good 10 min walk) to get to the lighthouse... either through the brush or along the beach. If it’s high tide you may be climbing rocks to get there. I would never ask guests to make that trip... but for the photos.... totally make your wedding party, if not at least you and your groom make the hike. Again... if it's hot, you most likely will be miserable pending your wedding attire. But it will be worth it!
- and yes... beach weddings will have public viewers... if you do it in high season (when school is out), you'll have a big audience. Since it's a public beach, you cannot prohibit beach-goers from passing by, so you risk them in your pics. FYI... school gets out mid May in Charleston, not June like up north.

I think I that’s most of it... hope this helps in your planning. Folly Beach is a great place for weddings, but you need to be prepared and have your ducks in a row to pull it off!!

If you also need help for things to do while in the Charleston area for any out of town guests, you can offer them this site that give decent details of what's going on around town, or if they have time to kill, what locals or other tourists like to do here.

http://www.things-to-do-in-charleston.com/index.html

Best of luck in all your wedding planning!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 AM

14 posts, read 40,103 times
I've just read the above advice re: a summer/high season and am now feeling a bit worried about the possible lack of privacy during my wedding ceremony. The wedding is planned for 16th July: I wish we could do it in the off-season; however, my fiance and I live in Burma and this is the only time we have free.
Could someone please suggest a quiet place to have the ceremony? I've seen other people recommend Sullivan's Island for a more private affair, but the accommodation and reception are already booked for Folly.
I originally thought of the lighthouse area at Folly, but friends reminded me it's quite a hike to get out there. The other area I'm thinking of is the opposite far side of the beach from the lighthouse. I'll have a week in Charleston before the wedding to scope out things and (hopefully) get my "ducks in a row".
We're thinking about 4 pm for the ceremony, and I'm not sure that we'll do chairs: I recently went to a beach wedding in Thailand and most guests were sitting. We'll have about 60-75 guests (none of them elderly). We're trying to do everything on a budget.
Thanks so much for any advice.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM

83 posts, read 185,561 times
I would call Mary Cunningham at the City of Folly and ask her any advise on how to accomplish a private (or private as possible) ceremony. She may have suggestions or even provide a service to keep bystanders at bay.

I hope your ceremony will be short because July is typically the extreme of temperatures... very hot, even at the beach, so anyone feeling the heat won't want to stand for too long out there.

Best of luck with your planning and congratulations!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 PM

8,955 posts, read 12,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygrace View Post
I've just read the above advice re: a summer/high season and am now feeling a bit worried about the possible lack of privacy during my wedding ceremony. The wedding is planned for 16th July: I wish we could do it in the off-season; however, my fiance and I live in Burma and this is the only time we have free.
Could someone please suggest a quiet place to have the ceremony? I've seen other people recommend Sullivan's Island for a more private affair, but the accommodation and reception are already booked for Folly.
I originally thought of the lighthouse area at Folly, but friends reminded me it's quite a hike to get out there. The other area I'm thinking of is the opposite far side of the beach from the lighthouse. I'll have a week in Charleston before the wedding to scope out things and (hopefully) get my "ducks in a row".
We're thinking about 4 pm for the ceremony, and I'm not sure that we'll do chairs: I recently went to a beach wedding in Thailand and most guests were sitting. We'll have about 60-75 guests (none of them elderly). We're trying to do everything on a budget.
Thanks so much for any advice.
I have an idea for the PERFECT spot---even more perfect than anywhere on Folly Beach. It is a little known park on James Island next to the James Island Lighthouse and has a panoramic view of Sullivan's Island, Patriot's Point to the east and the Ravenel bridge to the north; historic downtown Charleston / the Battery Section to the Northwest and the Ashley River bridge over to West Ashley to the west.

It is about a 10 mile or so drive North Northeast from Folly Beach. After the ceremony, everyone could drive back to Folly afterwards.

While there is plenty of room for your group of 75, there may only be enough room for half of the cars. So, I would call the James Island Yacht club next door to the park and see if you can get permission to use or rent for a small fee, their parking lot.

Another spot right on Folly Island that is intimate but not nearly as spectacular views as the first idea above is a little park with a Gazebo on the east side or Center Street across from the County boat landing where people could all park. Using this location, people would not have to drive off Folly Island to get to the ceremony. There is also a public dock in front with a river/creek view.

Lastly, and this might be the best suggestion (all things considered) there is White Point Gardens the famous park at the southern most tip of the peninsula of Charleston in the historic district which faces James Island and Charleston harbor or any of the other waterfront parks on the Peninsula of Charleston Map of Charleston, South Carolina by MapQuest

The above link shows where White Point Gardens is located. You can move the map around with yout mouse to find the other parks.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 AM

14 posts, read 40,103 times
thanks so much for the input.
For the record, the wedding took place at the lighthouse and was great. The weather was perfect, and though there were some people at the beach it really felt private.
The only person who didn't respect the privacy was a woman in a hideously too-small swimsuit type item, who had the nerve not only to be in public looking so atrocious, but walked by right at the end of the ceremony. She wasn't too close, but it made for a good laugh.
The photos are amazing, we made an "aisle" out of shells and a heart in which my husband and I stood during the ceremony.
Each time we went out to the lighthouse during the week (to scope it out) and during the wedding we saw dolphins, which was really nice.
The reception was at Bowen's Island and absolutely perfect. Dolphins there as well.
Good luck to anyone else having a wedding at Folly! Ours was on a Friday and the next day my husband's parents saw two weddings outside the Holiday Inn, which sounded like a nightmare. They said people were shouting, "Don't do it!" and the like from the balconies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area