Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 PM

20 posts, read 96,511 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into a home that's in the Hollow Oaks subdivision off of Otranto Rd. on the edge of North Charleston. Do you all know anything about this subdivision-- good or bad-- or anything about that area in general? Thanks- y'all are the greatest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 78,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurab3 View Post
My husband and I are looking into a home that's in the Hollow Oaks subdivision off of Otranto Rd. on the edge of North Charleston. Do you all know anything about this subdivision-- good or bad-- or anything about that area in general? Thanks- y'all are the greatest!
Avoid Otrano Rd as a general rule.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurab3 View Post
I think there were only about a dozen murders near there last year... yeaaa stay away from that basic area

there are some "nice" looking houses and neighborhoods real close to that area but I wouldn't move into them if I had a choice

in the not too distant past that was a really nice area, it's a shame...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 96,511 times
Yikes, I didn't realize it was that bad around there. We saw the house online, it looked great and we were planning on scoping out that area this weekend when were are there. I guess I need to take it off of the list! Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 33,253 times
North Charleston has the highest crime rate in the area. Of course that doesn't mean all of it is bad, I would just be careful. I live in Summerville in a subdivision called Sunburst Lakes off of Orangeburg road. I have an elementary school 1 mile from the house and a middle school about 3 minutes away. We also have a new Publix grocery, two drug stores, and several small restaurants within a 1 mile range. Sunburst lakes is also a fairly small community with around 100 homes, swimming pool, playground, and only 1 way in or out (makes for zero through traffic). I have a 12 year old daughter and I have no problem letting her loose to ride her bike or go to the park. The homes are also reasonably priced for the square footage (around $95 a sq ft)with a lot of them backing up to protected forest land for privacy. We also love that we can get to "downtown" Summerville in about 10 minutes with access to a new Target, Movie Theatre, Best Buy and lots more! It is real quiet here with no issues with crime or vandalism. There are a few homes for sale out here right now, they vary from 1 story (around 1500 sq ft) to 2 story (around 2200 sq ft). Happy hunting!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM

27 posts, read 120,327 times
Northwoods Pointe / Hollow Oaks - Otranto = GREAT AREA TO LIVE IN!!! PLEASE READ====
For those of you that are speaking negatively of North Charleston, specifically around the Otranto area, how many of you actually live here? I am the President of the Homeowners Association for Northwoods Pointe, a Beazer development almost identical (but smaller) than Hollow Oaks - the 2 subdivisions are about 1/2 mile apart along Otranto Rd. These subdivisions are on Otranto Rd. just adjacent to Northwoods Academy (an excellent private school), and Northwood Assembly (a large nondenominational church). Additionally, Northwoods Pointe backs up to Highway 78, which connects directly to Interstate 26 (only about 2 miles away). Along highway 78 in very short proximity (2 miles) is a premier private college - Charleston Southern University, Trident hospital and several brand new businesses including East Bay Deli. Zaxby's, Dunkin Doughnuts, Atlanta Bread Company, Bruster's Icecream, Kerr Drugstore, 2 brand new large hotels (Fairfield Suite's and another in progress) are recently built businesses within the 2-3 mile radius of Northwoods Pointe, Hollow Oaks and Otranto Road (many others not mentioned). Also, Nason Medical Center is in the process of being built - this is an emergent care medical facility - This is adjacent to the road that enters the back of the subdivision where another church, Deer Park Baptist Church sits...In this area, there is very little to no crime. I have lived here for 7 years in Northwoods Pointe, off of Otranto Road. I truly love it. I am President of the Homeowners Association, and we have very few problems, (none crime related). It is an extremely clean, quiet area. Those people who posted above MUST NOT LIVE IN THIS AREA. This is a very fast growing area with primarily young families with children in single dwelling homes. On my street, there are 8 children (exactly) who live on this street and have absolutely no problem riding their bikes along the street, playing basketball, etc....There are many joggers and people walking dogs. It is a GREAT area to buy a home and live. By the way, there is a GREAT county park with an awesome waterpark exactly 1.0 mile from my driveway (I clocked it on my car). I have a season pass and go very often - Wannamaker Park, North Charleston. So, to those of you that spoke negatively about this area, I suggest that you only speak to the area you live in and not mine. To those of you thinking about moving to this area, I welcome you to contact me or explore this area yourself. I know you will see that it is in stark contrast to the entries above. This area is growing in many positive ways, and inevitably with the new medical building and the new businesses, property values are rising making this a good place to invest in a home. Where else can you find 2 churches, 1 private school, a large park, a waterpark, a hospital, a college, several restaraunts, interstate access, a bank, drugstore, medical emergent care facility, 2 brand new hotels, gas stations, etc...within less than a 3 mile radius?? Would all of that exist in a crime-ridden, dirty, poorly maintained area??? I do not think so!
As the HOA President, I can tell you that we strive to set and uphold very high standards for the properties in our subdivision in congruance with the surrounding community, and this area is above comparable to any other area in Charleston.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestonmom View Post
Northwoods Pointe / Hollow Oaks - Otranto = GREAT AREA TO LIVE IN!!! PLEASE READ====
For those of you that are speaking negatively of North Charleston, specifically around the Otranto area, how many of you actually live here? I am the President of the Homeowners Association for Northwoods Pointe, a Beazer development almost identical (but smaller) than Hollow Oaks - the 2 subdivisions are about 1/2 mile apart along Otranto Rd. These subdivisions are on Otranto Rd. just adjacent to Northwoods Academy (an excellent private school), and Northwood Assembly (a large nondenominational church). Additionally, Northwoods Pointe backs up to Highway 78, which connects directly to Interstate 26 (only about 2 miles away). Along highway 78 in very short proximity (2 miles) is a premier private college - Charleston Southern University, Trident hospital and several brand new businesses including East Bay Deli. Zaxby's, Dunkin Doughnuts, Atlanta Bread Company, Bruster's Icecream, Kerr Drugstore, 2 brand new large hotels (Fairfield Suite's and another in progress) are recently built businesses within the 2-3 mile radius of Northwoods Pointe, Hollow Oaks and Otranto Road (many others not mentioned). Also, Nason Medical Center is in the process of being built - this is an emergent care medical facility - This is adjacent to the road that enters the back of the subdivision where another church, Deer Park Baptist Church sits...In this area, there is very little to no crime. I have lived here for 7 years in Northwoods Pointe, off of Otranto Road. I truly love it. I am President of the Homeowners Association, and we have very few problems, (none crime related). It is an extremely clean, quiet area. Those people who posted above MUST NOT LIVE IN THIS AREA. This is a very fast growing area with primarily young families with children in single dwelling homes. On my street, there are 8 children (exactly) who live on this street and have absolutely no problem riding their bikes along the street, playing basketball, etc....There are many joggers and people walking dogs. It is a GREAT area to buy a home and live. By the way, there is a GREAT county park with an awesome waterpark exactly 1.0 mile from my driveway (I clocked it on my car). I have a season pass and go very often - Wannamaker Park, North Charleston. So, to those of you that spoke negatively about this area, I suggest that you only speak to the area you live in and not mine. To those of you thinking about moving to this area, I welcome you to contact me or explore this area yourself. I know you will see that it is in stark contrast to the entries above. This area is growing in many positive ways, and inevitably with the new medical building and the new businesses, property values are rising making this a good place to invest in a home. Where else can you find 2 churches, 1 private school, a large park, a waterpark, a hospital, a college, several restaraunts, interstate access, a bank, drugstore, medical emergent care facility, 2 brand new hotels, gas stations, etc...within less than a 3 mile radius?? Would all of that exist in a crime-ridden, dirty, poorly maintained area??? I do not think so!
As the HOA President, I can tell you that we strive to set and uphold very high standards for the properties in our subdivision in congruance with the surrounding community, and this area is above comparable to any other area in Charleston.
is a honorable thing to stick up for the area you live in, I applaud you for that... and good luck keeping your area clean!

I like many other posters know that area extremely well, I lived on that road before the area changed... my kids go to school there at Northwood Academy and have for years, including on the day last year that they locked it down because there was a shooting within a block of it and they couldn't locate the shooter...

I'm on that road everyday of the week, I see what comes and goes on it

facts are facts, and they speak louder than any poster here... look up all the shootings/murders within a couple mile radius and you'll be surprised to find out what you are living in the middle of... try the archives of charleston.net or the likes

like I said before, there are many nice looking houses in that area... but I personally wouldn't volutarily live near there, when the sun falls there's some unsavory characters walking around looming all over that area...

that is one of several reasons they are moving that school and church in the very near future... it's all heading out to Canebay off of hwy 176

on the flip side, the N.Chas mayor and police chief have done an excellent job within the last year at cleaning many areas up in N.Chas... if they keep on target that area will again become the very nice area it once was years ago IMHO

it's about forwarning others before they move, not demeaning your area... sorry if you take offense, not meant... dats just the facts...

side notes - wannamaker park: gang fights shut it down last year... watch the crowd when you go in to decide how long you stay
college - several armed robberies last year, so many that the college now employs armed guards

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I think a product of being in an urban area is more crime in pockets surrounding great little communities.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think a product of being in an urban area is more crime in pockets surrounding great little communities.
great assement, I agree...

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 AM

27 posts, read 120,327 times
Exclamation Northwoods Pointe, Otranto Rd., GREAT place to live!!!

thanks for responding to my post, but.....the primary reason that the school and church are moving (I go to NA) is because there was a fire in the sanctuary which severely damaged the roof and services cannot be held in there....in combination with the fact that a developer donated 60+ acres to the church and school to make his development (Carnes Crossroads, not Cane Bay) more attractive, - to create a community surrounded by a private school/church in a county and state where a quality public education is hard to come by...

About Wannamaker Park---I go there on a regular basis, and personally, I enjoy the numerous waterfront picnic grounds, very large and nice playground area with picnic areas, water fountain for children to play in, dogpark, and the biggest waterpark Charleston has to offer (Whirlin Waters).....Funny thing that I have never seen any "shady characters" lurking around. And....I have never seen anyone who resembles a gang member, nor do I remember the park being shut down due to gang activity. And..they close the park as they do all parks around sundown, so nobody has the option to stay late , your words = "watch the crowd when you go in to decide how long you stay".

Regarding Charleston Southern University,-- I hope with tuition costs between $16,000 and $20,000 a year, this premier private University would be able to hire "security guards"...In fact, I do not know of a college that does not have them...Why did you fail to mention all of the numerous and recent rapes and robberies targeting the College of Charleston students?? I assure you that there were WAY more of those serious crimes at the College of Charleston than incidents on the CSU campus...

The point of the above is to demonstrate that you are unjustly describing this area and your information is just not accurate. Therefore you are misleading people on this forum (or attempting to) into thinking that this is a "shady", crime-ridden place to live, when it is absolutely not and cannot be much different than the area you live in.

Additionally, if the area is "so shady" and school shootings were a problem, then I question your decision to have your children attend such a school in such a crime ridden area...and, you wrote that "It is a shame".....Well, NO it is not...there is nothing shameful about this area. Like I said, it is clean, well-maintained and crime is no more of a problem in "this" area than anywhere else....Now, I definately would not go walking around Dorchester Rd. where the Naval Hospital is -, especially at night.....but here, I would feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a matter of preference as to where we all live, and that is the great thing about our country.....But please don't try to deter people from living in this area by posting "a dozen or so murders last year, ....it used to be a nice area....It is a shame..." I get the crime reports emailed me to me EVERY SINGLE DAY form the city councilman of our district, and I assure you I KNOW what is going on around here. So, yes, I will tell you that crime does exist in the entire city of North Charleston just like every city, but in this area, it is not more than what you probably have in your own neighborhood. Do you want to deter people from living in the "city of Charleston" as a whole, because you know there were more shootings in Charleston than North Charleston last year. So, you are VERY WRONG, it is NOT A "SHAME"....Nothing about this area is a shame. It is an area of great, clean subdivisions, positive commercial and residential growth, full of young professionals and families just like mine. Several military members (including my own husband) live in this area....Yes, crime is just about everywhere but does not run rampant on our streets or around our schools. (I am not saying that a school shooter incident did not happen, but I live 1/2 of a mile from the school and am home during the day and never heard a thing about it...) So, again, I ask that you please refrain from "demeaning my area", even though you pretend not to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
is a honorable thing to stick up for the area you live in, I applaud you for that... and good luck keeping your area clean!

I like many other posters know that area extremely well, I lived on that road before the area changed... my kids go to school there at Northwood Academy and have for years, including on the day last year that they locked it down because there was a shooting within a block of it and they couldn't locate the shooter...

I'm on that road everyday of the week, I see what comes and goes on it

facts are facts, and they speak louder than any poster here... look up all the shootings/murders within a couple mile radius and you'll be surprised to find out what you are living in the middle of... try the archives of charleston.net or the likes

like I said before, there are many nice looking houses in that area... but I personally wouldn't volutarily live near there, when the sun falls there's some unsavory characters walking around looming all over that area...

that is one of several reasons they are moving that school and church in the very near future... it's all heading out to Canebay off of hwy 176

on the flip side, the N.Chas mayor and police chief have done an excellent job within the last year at cleaning many areas up in N.Chas... if they keep on target that area will again become the very nice area it once was years ago IMHO

it's about forwarning others before they move, not demeaning your area... sorry if you take offense, not meant... dats just the facts...

side notes - wannamaker park: gang fights shut it down last year... watch the crowd when you go in to decide how long you stay
college - several armed robberies last year, so many that the college now employs armed guards

Last edited by charlestonmom; 01-29-2009 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area