Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:58 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Another thing I just learned is that if you are arrested for something and it's a first offense and you do stay in jail for however long (i.e. short) and don't go before a judge because you were released/time served or whatever, then the next time you commit that same crime, it is listed as a 1st offense once more. The only way that same crime is listed as a 2nd offense is if the criminal actually went before the judge and was found guilty on 1st charge. Wow.

That makes it sound like a criminal could go to jail 10 times for the same crime but if he keeps getting released and never goes before a judge, then each offense is 1st offense and he/she is always punished for 1st and not as a habitual offender of same crime.
To be fair, If you are not proven guilty then you are innocent legally so there would be no offense to keep a record of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:18 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
To be fair, If you are not proven guilty then you are innocent legally so there would be no offense to keep a record of.
I agree. Innocent until proven guilty.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
My point was they were arrested for the crime, but since they are released by doing time or released for whatever reason before appearing before the judge, they aren't charged for the crime.

This can happen many many times for the same crime and since they keep getting released before seeing a judge, they are never found guilty of the crime. How can they ever be found guilty of the crime and maybe 'punished' if they are always let go? This person may be guilty of repeating the same crime over and over again but yet set free each time and back on the streets as if never committing any crime.

I give up. Jails are too full. I know, I know, unless you kill someone, they can't find the room to keep you. It's ok. I've come to accept that it's just the way it is. The area is growing too fast to keep up with the growing crime. I get too frustrated and not worth my time anymore when it is what it is. They can let the guy out that scammed me and he can make more counterfeit money and spread the money around to other victims. I have my Pen and light to test for fake money so all is good for me. Just sad that someone else will be victim to this same guy as soon as he is freed. I got scammed because they let him out of the O'Burg jail. When they let him out of Berk County jail, he will go do the same to some other innocent person. It is clear from the long list of offenses this guy has, that he isnt' learning a lesson. There is no punishment. Why should he stop doing what he does? Bless his heart.

But hey, he is innocent since never found guilty so nothing to worry about. Who cares about the victims or helping to keep our community safe?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I just keep checking to see if this guy is still in jail. He's spent 2 weeks so far so I am thankful that he's at least done that. I'll be thankful for any day more that he is still behind bars.

I won't reply in this thread anymore. Nothing I can change. I just have to protect myself. This experience will make me think twice about calling the police next time I may have the need because I feel like what's the point?

Last edited by diddlydudette; 02-16-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times
You are right. The system has truly failed if they are not putting anyone who's arrested in front of a judge. I hope he gets shot in the nuts next time he pulls this crap with somebody and I'm sorry for you having to be a victim. Tell me more about the pen and light for checking currency please. Unfortunately if somebody is never convicted of a crime they are innocent but they should definitely be going in front of a judge to make that determination.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I think it’s time to call some news folks and tell them your story.
This... You’d be surprised how much this would help if you’re willing to go through it all.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
You are right. The system has truly failed if they are not putting anyone who's arrested in front of a judge. I hope he gets shot in the nuts next time he pulls this crap with somebody and I'm sorry for you having to be a victim. Tell me more about the pen and light for checking currency please. Unfortunately if somebody is never convicted of a crime they are innocent but they should definitely be going in front of a judge to make that determination.

lol. I love your punishment. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. Thing is he probably lacks having balls.

I purchased this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM

515 posts, read 482,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2019 View Post
Simple. The media and activists have pushed for reform of bond laws. They dont want criminals sitting in jail for a long time before court. Courts are backlogged because criminals commit a lot of crime.

So they get out early and often to reoffend. Remember....media loves crime. It sells. They cant sell crime stories if less crime happens. So when you read “criminal reform” thats what they want.
This is so ridiculously and LAUGHABLY ignorant, I don't even know where to begin....

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM

33 posts, read 39,391 times
Authorities charge 14 in SC counterfeit ring that made thousands in fake US currency.

The indictment filed Wednesday lays out the case against the defendants: Samuel Forte, Keerstin Lax, Stephan Moore, Shelby Brunson, Donna Isaacs, Jeffrey Zensen, Aubrey Schultz, Patricia Seary, Imesha Ragins, Ashley Woods, Lovan Green, Kendall Grant, Sharnseearay Goddard and Neil Hines Jr. Ages and cities of residence for the defendants were not included in court documents.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7fb4d08ec.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area