Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 03:02 PM

131 posts, read 298,166 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm finally making the move to Charleston, hooray! In May. I've scoured the Internet to answer my question, but I cannot find an answer to it, so I'm hoping one of you fine folks who also relocated to Charleston from out of state can help me.

To sum it up, currently my car is under my mom's name and so I get a discounted insurance policy here in Ohio. Technically, she owns the car, but I'm a fully insured driver on the policy. My insurance agent told me that I can remain on her policy, with my car in her name, when I move to Charleston. So, when I first move to Charleston, my car will be titled in Ohio and my insurance policy will be an Ohio policy.

However, if Charleston is a state that requires residents to carry a South Carolina insurance policy (versus an Ohio insurance policy), I'll eventually have to carry South Carolina insurance, which will drive my costs up.

Does anyone know if the state of South Carolina requires drivers to carry a South Carolina policy? Have any of you driven a vehicle in the state legally with an insurance policy from a different state?

I would really appreciate your help so that I'm prepared in the event I face a hike in my insurance costs. Thanks! :-)

Last edited by cebu077; 03-18-2019 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: grammar error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Congrats Cebu and welcome in advance to Charleston! I don't have the answer to your question but I'd suggest you just call an insurance agent here to get all of the answers you need. Taylor Agency, CT Lowndes, and I'm sure many others can help you out.
I know I've been seeing your posts here for quite some time and it's great to hear you're finally making the move!

Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
cebu

While I do not have answers, what you are looking to do might not fly. First of all as a SC resident you will have a period of time (30 to 90 days????) to obtain a SC drivers license. In order to cover yourself on insurance, this would require you to notify the Ohio insurance company of your residence thus opening a Pandora's Box.

You might find that insurance is less in SC so the best thing might be to have your Mother assign the title of the car over to you and register/insure it in SC. Explore this before trying to be "devious".

Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 PM

606 posts, read 730,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
cebu

While I do not have answers, what you are looking to do might not fly. First of all as a SC resident you will have a period of time (30 to 90 days????) to obtain a SC drivers license. In order to cover yourself on insurance, this would require you to notify the Ohio insurance company of your residence thus opening a Pandora's Box.

You might find that insurance is less in SC so the best thing might be to have your Mother assign the title of the car over to you and register/insure it in SC. Explore this before trying to be "devious".
I might be better for her to buy/gift the car after she moves here and becomes a resident to possibly avoid the added import tax on a vehicle. I think you're ok on Ohio insurance until it is time to renew the policy.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM

131 posts, read 298,166 times
LocalHero, thank you very much for your kind words! Yes, moving to Charleston has been a dream of mine for a few years. I’m so excited it’s finally happening!

BaconIsGood and Johngolf, thank you for your insight and advice! Hmmm, it sounds like I may very well need to follow LocalHero’s advice to call a Charleston insurance agent and make sure carrying Ohio insurance would be legal once I have my SC driver’s license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area