Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 03:26 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times

Advertisements

To put things in perspective, in about 1970 a 50something black police officer scolded my father for having his family north of Broad close to sundown.We were on Cumberland Street a block south of Market! Few people today, even locals, understand the hidden meaning in the restaurant named "Slightly North Of Broad".

Last edited by mckee16; 04-28-2019 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
To put things in perspective, in about 1970 a 50something black police officer scolded my father for having his family north of Broad close to sundown.We were on Cumberland Street a block south of Market! Few people today, even locals, understand the hidden meaning in the restaurant named "Slightly North Of Broad".
Thats funny..
I have been to Hominy. Simple food, simply good..

Old 05-05-2019, 08:52 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
Hominy will be missed. Chef was just on TV last night -- a 2-year old episode of Andrew Zimmern's show.....Chef whipped up a big pot full of grits.

That spot will soon be a hub for that corner of the peninsula.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I had an architecture/planning professor speak about Charleston pre-Omni (what is now Charleston Place.) He said the big joke wasn't that there were homeless people in that part of downtown at night, the problem was they were literally the only people there.

It's funny how quickly things can turn around or a business can redefine an area. I actually know someone who runs a soup/sandwich shop within a quick walk of Hominy. They added shrimp and grits to their weekend menu because Hominy stays so busy they felt they could attract some of the customers not getting into there. I guess its the sign of the times that the young/upstart in a fringe area could help bring back the traditional dishes and run their course in 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area