Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You have 80K income,no school age kids,and like to boat where would you live?
I.O.P 3 30.00%
M.P. 1 10.00%
J.I 4 40.00%
Other 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM

33 posts, read 102,913 times

Advertisements

Looking to possible relo to I.O.P.,or area.

Looking for a "walking " community with basic local ammenities,drug store,starbucks,etc,within 20 mins of shopping malls,hospital etc.

Safe,very little violent crime or homeless:close to water access to launch boat. Like the "Non-Tourist Beach feel"

Schools are not an issue. 1500-1800 s.f house or townhouse,under 200K.

Considering I.O.P.,J.I,or M.P.
Nothing like local knowledge,thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,538,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticsun View Post
Looking to possible relo to I.O.P.,or area.

Looking for a "walking " community with basic local ammenities,drug store,starbucks,etc,within 20 mins of shopping malls,hospital etc.

Safe,very little violent crime or homeless:close to water access to launch boat. Like the "Non-Tourist Beach feel"

Schools are not an issue. 1500-1800 s.f house or townhouse,under 200K.

Considering I.O.P.,J.I,or M.P.
Nothing like local knowledge,thanks!!
Move to James Island and go to Folly Beach.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,394,172 times
In northern James Island you have deep water docks along the ICW leading to downtown and the City Marina and the harbor and the Stono River on the other side. You have at least two boat ramps steps away to under a mile away from where you might live. A Muddy Waters Coffee shop and the Crab House(waterfront) Restaurant and J Paulz tapas bar and the Mustard Seed REstaurant and other restaurants and the Terrace Theatre are all steps away. Just one mile away and an easy walk over the drawbridge over the ICW to South Windermere in West Ashley is a Starbucks, an Earth Fare (a smaller scale Whole Foods) and more Restaurants, an artisan bakery and shopping and a library (and even a tackle shop). There are marinas in West AShley where you could keep a big boat and another waterfront restaurant called CAlifornia Dreamin' right on the harbor looking across to downtown Charleston. For the beach there is Folly Beach south of James Island which has plenty more shopping and businesses along the way including a Lowes.

I think Northern James Island is much more walkable to all of what you are interested in with the possible exception to the Groves section of Mount Pleasant which would be farther to the marina at Patriot's Point.

To see how walkable an address is try this website: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.. They will actually list the businesses nearby and how far away they are from the address you put in.

I like to sail and I was looking for much of what you are. I joined a community sailing program at the College of Charleston which uses space and keeps their boats at Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant. While the marina is a nice facility, it is very exposed and expensive to keep your boat there. Also the ships coming into the harbor pass by really close to the marina. The marinas on the peninsula and West Ashley are more protected and are much closer to a Starbucks either in West Ashley or downtown

At Isle of Palms, I'm not sure if you are walking distance to a Starbucks AND to boat landings and marinas unless you don't mind walking a few miles or more.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,993,246 times
1500-1800sf home for under $200k.

Cross off IOP, there's nothing available in the $225k price range with that square footage besides timeshares.
Mount Pleasant has roughly 10-15 townhomes, condos available that would match it.
James Island would give you much more options.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM

55 posts, read 250,305 times
Default Really tough to find

Other than James Island, your request is not going to be easy to fulfill. Especially the part about walking to things. Downtown is the best walking/biking area around here.

Mt. Pleasant is horrible for biking except on a couple of streets. Also, downtown and mp are pretty pricey.

IOP starts at prices way higher than $200k so not a chance there. Plus, they don't really have a drug store, Starbucks, or etc. Not convienient except to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area