Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 18,207 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I have visited Charleston several times and are considering a move there from Atl. As of now I am laid off from my job and she is working. I just can't seem to find any work in Atlanta but funny enough I have 2 interviews in Charleston next week! Anyways, I was just wondering how different it will be living there for 2 young professionals in their mid 20's - lower 30's? I know it will be much more laid back and that's exactly what we're looking for. But we are just wondering how different it will be living there vs vacationing there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,283,962 times
Charleston is a lot more laid back, not so much hustle and bustle....

Old 06-14-2010, 07:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,408,489 times
It is also more expensive...higher cost of living than Atlanta...unless you live 45 mins or more outside downtown..and aren't picky about amenities like you were used to in Atlanta.

I moved here from a small coastal city in New England much smaller than Charleston but I was less than 1.5 hours from Boston with its subway system that made getting around easy; 45 mins from Providence; 1.5 hours from Hartford and three hours or so from NYC.

Charleston's architecture and quaint feeling of downtown has it all over where I came from but there are no big cities or ivy league schools here or anywhere in the state. Food and utilities are more expensive and there aren't as many transportation options here.

If hyperinflation courtesy of Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve weren't looming around the corner it might not be such an issue. But since it may well be, the last thing I'd want to do would be to move to an area that doesn't have a lot of the amenities you are used to having close by.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,866,605 times
We moved to Atlanta area in 1997 and moved to Charleston area in 2007 (actually have lived in both cities for the last 3 years).

Cost of living -- while housing is initially cheaper in the Atlanta area, the taxes aren't. We may be getting less for our buck but we are paying way less in property and state taxes. Not sure rent is that much more expensive than the greater Atlanta area. My kids have an apartment in midtown and are paying about as much as a two bedroom in Mount Pleasant, 10 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes to downtwon.

Cost of food -- a bit more expensive at The Pigg at Seaside. Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, same prices at the ATL.....Publix -- same prices.

Cost of alcohol -- holy cow Charleston way cheaper (yes thrown in for a tongue in cheek comment but it's true).

Insurance, car tags, etc...I haven't noticed a big difference from Atlanta.

Atlanta is more of 'big city' feel...Charleston more quaint. Depending on where you end up living -- you could be in a truly coastal area.

Shopping -- HUGE difference. Atlanta is the mecca for shopping in the southeast with Lenox, Phipps, Perimeter. Charleston doesn't even have a Macys -- big stores are Dillards and Belks???j No Crate & Barrell, no Restoration Hardware.

Sports teams -- Charlestonhas some great minor league teams -- no major league teams. You won't be getting the Superbowl, ACC or SEC championships, FINAL FOUR.....etc.

Culture -- Charleston has a thriving theater, music scene. It may not get the big ticket items but it gets enough.

Dining -- Like the Atlanta area -- Charleston has amazing restaurants.

Outdoor activities. Charleston is a mecca for outdoor activities.

I haven't noticed a change in pace....I'll get back to you on that. What have noticed -- a definite difference in lifestyle. Went to the DMV in Mount Pleasant to get my new tags and licenses and people show up beachwear....sure sure they had a cover up over the bathing suit...but still -- a bathing suit and cover up for a line up at the DMV <G>.

If you are young professionals that love to shop, go to clubs, scene and be scene (yes pun intended) Charleston will not work even with all the charm.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,866,605 times
One more thing.......in Charleston you won't be hearing any of the UGA/Georgia Tech trash talk. <G>.....well not much anyways.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM

This is all great to hear. Thanks for all your comments.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,408,489 times
The public libraries..if you do business research here.. are poor. They have zero books related to options trading. I know because I looked, put in requests for books and they came up empty. I think you wouldn't have that problem in Atlanta. Thankfully there is a Barnes & Nobles here that did have a few books (and you can order new ones without having to buy them). I resolved the problem by going to Barnes & Nobles and skimming through most of the books and buying one. It would have been easier on my pocketbook to have been able to borrow them from the library.

In fairness, I did not try the College of Charleston Library, I don't know if they would have had anything or not and I probably would not have been allowed to check out any books from their library.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Thumbs up I love Charleston!

Charleston is awesome for 20-30 somethings! There's a vibrant night club scene downtown, lots of outdoor activities, lots of music festivals, and weekends at the beach. Living here is great, because you can easily get away from the touristy stuff if you need to.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM

MattSC -
Where are some of the best places to escape all of the tourist stuff for the 20-30 age groups? Just curious.....thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
One more thing.......in Charleston you won't be hearing any of the UGA/Georgia Tech trash talk. <G>.....well not much anyways.

How about Clemson/USC trash talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area