Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 23,744 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are re-locating to the Charleston area from Chicago. We are both young female professionals. We found a place that is in the Park Circle area, right next to the naval base. Is this a safe area? -- I know that areas of North Charleston are not so good. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Park Circle on the whole is a great neighborhood. The are spots in it that are less desirable, just like in any area. The undergoing revitalization in Park Circle and surrounding neighborhoods is sure to do wonders for it once completed and many investors are buying there for just that reason.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
We drove through Park Circle a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the people that were out playing frisbee, running and walking their dogs. It is getting back to what it used to be year's ago.

This morning I saw this new neighborhood coming up on Mixson Ave. that is being built by the same people that built I'On. We may check them out this Sat. to see what they look like in person.
M I X S O N (http://www.insidemixson.com/Home - broken link)

Old 05-18-2008, 06:32 PM

106 posts, read 513,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann75 View Post
A friend and I are re-locating to the Charleston area from Chicago. We are both young female professionals. We found a place that is in the Park Circle area, right next to the naval base. Is this a safe area? -- I know that areas of North Charleston are not so good. Thanks!
Some areas back in there are nice, some are certainly not. The front part of Park Circle that runs along Rivers Avenue is mostly rentals which brings trouble. North Charleston isn't that great of an area by any means and they are trying to clean it up but i've seen no difference as of yet.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 23,825 times
For a good overview of Park Circle see myparkcircle.com This is a weekly on-line new 'zine that is not designed to promote any particular business. The Merchants Association is also running a radio ad throughout the month of July on one of the top rate local stations. This is one of the FEW areas in Charleston which has not seen a drop in median price of homes in 2007!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 63,899 times
there are areas of park circle that are not good of course, but some crazy people are comming in and paying 200,000 for a tiny house. as for the mixon...it is crap...huge "green" houses that are cheaply made on land that is merely a filled in marsh...now who could build on filled in marsh land? so who do you think is getting the money here? i live in north charleston in a good area, but many "native" charlestonians do not even know of the neighborhood...

Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Hubby and I rode over to Mixson today and didn't like it AT ALL. We didn't even go into any of the homes but from the street they looked cheap. They put on a good show when they were on a local tv program which is why I posted the info here.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:52 PM

43 posts, read 164,389 times
Mixon is one of those neighborhoods like Ion or White Gables that either you "get" or you don't. Personally, I don't see it, but many people love new urbanism. As for Park Circle as a whole, it was the first live/ work planned community in the area with commercial (Old North Charleston), residential,and industrial (Garco) components. There has been a lot of interest shown in redeveloping the area, and there is probably some smart money being invested there now. The Beach Co. owns the Garco site, and I hear they're developing that into condos and retail. As for none of North Charleston being nice, I promise my North Charleston home in my North Charleston neighborhood compare favorably with any place in the Charleston area.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Have they even sold anything in Mixson? It didn't look like anyone was living in any of the homes yet. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. lol I wish them luck! I'm in the Park Circle area a couple times a week and have seen how it's changing. I hope it can get back to where it was year's ago or even better. Part's of NC are nice and I shop there all of the time.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 22,100 times
The reason Mixson looks odd is that it's not finished yet. It's a nice idea, and they have plans to build over 400 units in various phases and even a small township complete with shops and restaurants. They probably are going to hold off until the market rebounds. Park Circle is changing rapidly and new, young professionals are moving in every day and it was recently voted "One of the Coolest Neighborhoods" in America recently in a major magazine. It's location is great, and the homes are still reasonable compared to the outrageous costs of West Ashley homes or the new cookie cutter homes with toxic and cheap looking vinyl siding in Summerville. The commute to anywhere from Park Circle is awesome as it literallly is in the center of the city. (10 minutes to pretty much everywhere). The city of North Charleston has big plans to ungrade the city over the next 10 years as well. It's an up-and-coming area complete with a really cool main street with restaraunts, bars, theater and even major art shows and events now. As far as crime, guess what, that happens in all areas of Charleston including downtown, Mt. Pleasant and even Isle of Palms. There are great areas and some bad areas just like any city. I know I love this area and it took me a year for my realtor to talk me into living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area