U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

First off let me thank you for any help that any of you may be able to offer.

I am a recent 100% disabled Soldier after suffering severe damage to my spine and both legs. I currently am living in New Hampshire though I have been stationed throughout the country and especially enjoyed the south.
Due to the severity of my injuries I no longer can deal with the cold New England winters and need to move to a warmer climate.
I fell in love with Charleston on earlier visits and am looking into moving that way. I am hoping any of you out there might be able to help me find a nice area to call home, I am a 33 year old single man who would prefer to be in an area that is within walking distance (I walk with a cane) of stores and places to eat etc. and is safe and won't break the bank (The VA isn't too generous these days).
I was also wondering how Charleston and the surrounding area treats its veterans, I am coming from liberal New England where I have been tormented
and on one occasion spit on for going to war. I guess I just want to find a great city where I will be accepted and not have to shovel! Not too much to ask, is it? Lol!!!
Have a great day every one and again, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,967,372 times
First off let me say thank you for your service and sacrifice. It's a total SHAME that ANYONE would torment or spit on any of our veterans.

The Charleston area really isn't a walkable area unless you live downtown which can be expensive. There is a VA hospital here though. You may want to contact someone there that maybe able to help direct you to a place to live.
Charleston VAMC Home

Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
I second the sentiments of Luvsdabeach and thank you for your service.

Downtown would be your best bet for being able to walk. There are some areas with townhomes/neighborhoods on James Island, West Ashley and Mt. Pleasant that would allow you to walk for some things, but you wouldn't have access to the number of things you would downtown. Summerville may have some areas as well. Overall, downtown is by far the most walkable.

Charleston, and the lowcountry in general, has a strong military tradition. You will find that your service is well-respected.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM

459 posts, read 1,405,803 times
From reading a few of the postings here in the Charleston section, I know I cannot dare speak for all of the Charleston area, as it has diversified much in my life. I can speak only for those I know. You are more than welcome in my part of the world. If you have come across those who have views too narrow and simple to see the man and not just the military representation, then that is an issue they need to overcome, not you. Good luck and much thanks to you for your service to my Country.
Mt Pleasant, Summerville, and the revitalized areas of North Charleston are some places to look. Urban sprawl caught those responsible for maintaining infrastructure by surprise, so it can be somewhat hodge-podge here in the Charleston area. Take a few trips down South and look around. Good people and good places are everywhere.

Last edited by fqtravlr; 04-24-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 AM

183 posts, read 673,670 times
I had truely believed that the days of treating our vets so badly, as was done after Vietnam, were over. It breaks my heart to think that ANYONE would spit on another for serving in such a hellish place and situation. I personally thank you for your service and sacrifice as well as the sacrifice you will continue to make for the rest of your life. Its also disgusting that our government takes such poor care of our Vets once they return home. That argument is for another time on my soapbox. Like you, my family and I are relocating to Charleston soon and I feel like you will be welcomed with open arms. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Many Thank's

Thank you all for your advice and kind words, I have been told several times before that I should move "south", not simply for the warm weather but most importantly for the wonderful people.
I was in Charleston after a funeral for an Iraq war veteran that I served with was buried in another part of S.C. and was blown away by the city but as I said before, it was the people who made it amazing.
As far as moving there, I would focus more on the downtown area. Are there certain streets/neighborhoods to steer clear of?
Again, your words meant more to me than you will know. A lot of us are starting to feel alone with the way we have been treated. I have already told a few friends of the responses I got here, thank you again for your kindness but as far as thanking me-no need. It was my job and my honor, I only wish I could have done more.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
I would suggest staying south of Calhoun Street. The vast majority of that area would be safe. There are some nice areas north of that as well, but given that you're interested in being able to walk to stores, restaurants etc., south of Calhoun would be my recommendation. The majority of stores etc. run from Calhoun down to Broad Street and are primarily along King St., Meeting St., and East Bay St. and some of the cross streets. If you focus on being in that general area, you will find want you want. I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM

272 posts, read 794,945 times
I'm sorry you have been treated so poorly. People here are not like that. They are kind, helpful, polite people. I'm a military widow and find this to be a very nice area. My brother had surgery at the VA Hospital here, and I was surprised at the quality of care he received, it was excellent.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,300,380 times
Thank you so much for your sacrifice. I can't believe anyone would treat you like that.
Many good suggestions have been given so far. I just wanted to say thank you more than anything.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,362 times
From 100% vet to another 100% vet. Whatever you do - do not go to North Carolina, especially Fayetteville, home of Fort Bragg, Pope Air Force base and more lying, corrupt, cowardly, unethical and callous people than anyplace I have ever been. To say they are dishonest,
My personal experience is one that would be laughable if it had not caused my life to be ruined and shortened.
Due to my disabilities i was unable to undersatand and clean my backyard as the city demanded. Anyway they had the cops keep under house arrest for two days while a crew took everything including my therapy equipment and materials that were less than a week old. The trauma set off the PTSD and the symptoms were more severe than they were originally.
Taking my therapy equipment caused my legs to deteriorate to the extent that I have to wear braces, use a cane(s), walker and some heavy duty meds. Theri actions destroyed 4 years of hopitalization and over 15 years of therapy. The PTSD symptoms worse than they even were originally caused me to loose my home, business, life savings, credit standing etc. etc.
Having lost my home and with no credit (I forgot to tell you they also fined me, a 100% physically and mentally, permanently and totally, housebound, unemployable veteran $10,000.00 in fines and $1,000.00) I had to rent a substandard house that clought fire and ruined my lungs. I have to use a nebulizer and cpap machine.
They got5 a court order stating that the defendant,me, was not under any disability. It means they had to lie to the judge to get it because they never did check for disabilities.
Another lie is when they kept telling me while stealing my materials and equipment that I would be reimbursed. Then when I put in for reimbursement I found that the same people who took everything were also in charge of reimbursement.
They knew they could do anything they wanted when they found out that my disabilities precluded me from going to court. Hell, I even have to have someone do my shopping for me.

so North Carolina is a definite NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area