Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 11:55 AM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what they are doing on 61? At first I thought maybe they were widening the road but then noticed they were clearing land along side the road but not wide enough for a new lane and they left land between the clearing and the hwy. I always thought it would be nice to have a long bike path along Hwy 61. Maybe it's a bike/hiking trail?

They've got the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville. It's wonderful. We need something like that.

Also I noticed they were clearing a big piece of land on the right coming from Sville. I wish they would leave that pretty hwy alone and not build more houses or schools there. At least leave that oak tree lined hwy alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 05:42 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
No. Riding a bike on that road would be pure suicide. There's a new community (Ashton Woods called Watson Hill) being put in and the widening was first off to allow for a larger shoulder but also to clear land for new drainage pipes and upgraded infrastructure to allow for new developments in and around Cook's Crossroads. There's four more developments being drawn up to add homes to the area and they are trying to stay ahead of the curve with the pipes, wires, etc.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 05-11-2021 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
No. Riding a bike on that road would be pure suicide. There's a new community (Ashton Woods called Watson Hill) being put in and the widening was first off to allow for a larger shoulder but also to clear land for new drainage pipes and upgraded infrastructure to allow for new developments in and around Cook's Crossroads. There's four more developments being drawn up to add homes to the area and they are trying to stay ahead of the curve with the pipes, wires, etc.
Thanks....I hate to hear more trees being cut on that beautiful road for more housing developments. I guess eventually that whole road will be nothing but new homes. It would be nice if they had to build, to build the neighborhood back off 61 and maybe keep some of the old oak trees for the neiborhood instead of chopping all the nice trees down and everyone have a token pear tree in their new yard. I also hate that there will be even more traffic on that pretty hwy. I know Whitfield owned a lot of land in that area. I wonder if he's to blame.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 05-11-2021 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks....I hate to hear more trees being cut on that beautiful road for more housing developments. I guess eventually that whole road will be nothing but new homes. It would be nice if they had to build, to build the neighborhood back off 61 and maybe keep some of the old oak trees for the neiborhood instead of chopping all the nice trees down and everyone have a token pear tree in their new yard. I also hate that there will be even more traffic on that pretty hwy. I know Whitfield owned a lot of land in that area. I wonder if he's to blame.
Almost every tract is already owned by developers. It's inevitable that it will all be homes at some point.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Almost every tract is already owned by developers. It's inevitable that it will all be homes at some point.
I know people always love growth but I wish we could preserve that highway and not build anymore on it. I always enjoy riding down that hwy into Chas. Oh well, at least I'll have my memories of how beautiful it once was.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:05 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Doesn’t mean the government needs to cater to them. Choke them out. Give them a narrow 20 mph road to commute on and make them use well water and septic tanks.
When I first moved to SC from FL I was blown away by it’s gorgeous backroads. Now you people want it to look like Orlando. You don’t appreciate what you have.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Doesn’t mean the government needs to cater to them. Choke them out. Give them a narrow 20 mph road to commute on and make them use well water and septic tanks.
When I first moved to SC from FL I was blown away by it’s gorgeous backroads. Now you people want it to look like Orlando. You don’t appreciate what you have.
Where would you have all that tax revenue go? Charlotte? Regardless of whether or not you run off all the developers, chase them out of town, people will still be flocking here in droves because "it sure beats New Jersey". So we either a) build places for them to live or b) have our home prices on par with San Francisco which will price most locals with average jobs out of the market as transplants with more income/equity will pay more than those here with average savings/income/equity.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:10 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Wow.....four more developments on that stretch of Hwy 61 ?? That's insane.

They are going to ruin this area, and they'll have nothing to show for it but some old receipts for Building Permits. No money for roads, schools, fire and police....just a few cancelled checks from big builders.

Have you seen all the new construction going up behind Summers Crossing ?? They've clear cut that pine forest back there. This place used to be called 'Flowertown in the Pines' There will soon be no more pines and dam few flowers.

There's a open air shooting range, Palmetto Gun Club or something. They're putting a huge subdivision back there. This should go well.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:20 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You should have seen what North Mount Pleasant looked like before your neighborhood was built.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You should have seen what North Mount Pleasant looked like before your neighborhood was built.
Remember when Mt Pleasant was woods above Bownman Rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area