Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:05 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Charleston’s voting patterns were more anti Trump than blue. For example we voted for a Republican senator and congressmen on the same election.
Hillary Clinton, Jamie Harrison, Joe Cunningham, and Joe Biden all won Charleston and Charleston County, Clinton by nearly 14,000 votes, and that was before Trump was the Trump whom “anyone would be better than for president.” Mace needed Berkeley and Dorchester counties’ District 1 voters to win by a razor-thin margin. Charleston and Charleston County are medium blue despite being about 72 and 65% white respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 08:52 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,730 times
Trump won more votes in 2020 nationally than he did in 2016 and won more minority votes than previously.

Trump also won Berkeley and Dorchester counties easily. Those are part of the Charleston metro.

Mace's district includes Hilton Head as well. Trump won Beaufort County by 10%. Trump no doubt won more votes than any local level Republican in the Charleston area.

Trump won the majority of the white vote in the Charleston metro. It is strange to see people try to minimize the importance of the black vote for Democrats to win. You can tell by Biden's rhetoric that he understands the black turnout is key. Biden received more black votes than Hillary probably because he was Obama's VP. Biden was on the ropes in the Democratic primary until black voters in SC gave him a big win.

My main point is the poor Democratic voters, both white and black, in Charleston are generally not liberals in the context used on here. They are fiscal liberals no doubt.

Keep in mind the current Charleston Democratic mayor had a statue of segregationist former Democratic senator and governor Fritz Hollings erected in downtown Charleston. The liberal Charleston newspaper did not criticize this. I'm not sure if politicians could get away with erecting new statues of segregationists in cities like Portland and Austin.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-16-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 AM

I don’t agree with the mindset that even politicians who genuinely changed for the better in the later years of their service should be shunned in terms of honoring them by statues.

I was speaking only of Charleston and Charleston County being blue. I feel I let that be known by saying Mace needed the Berkeley and Dorchester portions (okay, conservative Hilton Head, too) to barely beat Cunningham, who won Charleston and Charleston county easily despite the fact that together they’re around 70% white, and despite the fact that she’s from here and he isn’t.

I realize the South Carolina suburbs are mostly red. When I speak of Charleston as a place someone might or might not want to move to on the basis of which way they may lean politically, I don’t lump the area’s suburban voters into the equation. If I speak of metro Charleston in that light, I’ll make sure to differentiate which areas of the metro they may prefer to live in.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:16 AM

My Mace comment wasn't for you. I agreed with your comment, you only forgot about Hilton Head being in her district. Trump would probably blow out Mace in a GOP primary in that district and easily defeat the former Democrat congressman who probably sounds more conservative than Democratic pols nationally.

Democrats should never lose an area that is 30% black, in my view. That's about as favorable as it gets demographically for the party.

I don't think you and other people with your views would be ok with a statue of Strom Thurmond going up now in Charleston. That would be described as a 'Southern Strategy', because he switched to the GOP.

I believe Charleston attracts a lot of the Old Democrats who supported segregation. They romanticize Charleston because of its Civil War history and slave mansions. Those voters would know Biden was good friends with the former segregationist Democratics Hollings, Thurmond, Robert Byrd, and others. Do you consider these voters to be liberal? Typically Democrats call these voters conservatives even if they vote Democratic. They hurt the 'progressive' branding.

There is probably a similar dynamic in Austin with it being in the south. A liberal city like Portland probably doesn't have many Democrat voters like this.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-16-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
My Mace comment wasn't for you. I agreed with your comment, you only forgot about Hilton Head being in her district. Trump would probably blow out Mace in a GOP primary in that district and easily defeat the former Democrat congressman who probably sounds more conservative than Democratic pols nationally.

Democrats should never lose an area that is 30% black, in my view. That's about as favorable as it gets demographically for the party.

I don't think you and other people with your views would be ok with a statue of Strom Thurmond going up now in Charleston. That would be described as a 'Southern Strategy', because he switched to the GOP.

I believe Charleston attracts a lot of the Old Democrats who supported segregation. They romanticize Charleston because of its Civil War history and slave mansions. Those voters would know Biden was good friends with the former segregationist Democratics Hollings, Thurmond, Robert Byrd, and others. Do you consider these voters to be liberal? Typically Democrats call these voters conservatives even if they vote Democratic. They hurt the 'progressive' branding.

There is probably a similar dynamic in Austin with it being in the south. A liberal city like Portland probably doesn't have many Democrat voters like this.
Strom Thurmond in my view is an example of a politician whose views changed. He worked for everyone in his later years. James Brown adored him.

I personally would have no problem with a statue of him in Charleston, but without context explaining on a plaque the latter part of his political career compared to the earlier part, it might not get enough support.

I believe your beliefs on what kind of people Charleston attracts politically are for the most part wrong. This is 2021.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I believe Charleston attracts a lot of the Old Democrats who supported segregation.
Those folks are mostly dead, and I seriously doubt the few who are left were voting for Biden/Harris or Harrison. They wouldn't be voting for Scott for that matter either.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:38 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Hillary Clinton, Jamie Harrison, Joe Cunningham, and Joe Biden all won Charleston and Charleston County, Clinton by nearly 14,000 votes, and that was before Trump was the Trump whom “anyone would be better than for president.” Mace needed Berkeley and Dorchester counties’ District 1 voters to win by a razor-thin margin. Charleston and Charleston County are medium blue despite being about 72 and 65% white respectively.
Never was like this, very sad , this has happened. Charleston continues downhill.......

Old 10-20-2021, 08:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Never was like this, very sad , this has happened. Charleston continues downhill.......
If adding tons of new jobs and new residents and new development hand over fist is what "continuing downhill" looks like, I'm not sure if it can handle reversing course.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:51 AM

Not to mention new ideas, and ideals.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Strom Thurmond in my view is an example of a politician whose views changed. He worked for everyone in his later years. James Brown adored him.

I personally would have no problem with a statue of him in Charleston, but without context explaining on a plaque the latter part of his political career compared to the earlier part, it might not get enough support.

I believe your beliefs on what kind of people Charleston attracts politically are for the most part wrong. This is 2021.
People with your views typically use Strom Thurmond switching to GOP to argue segregationists as a group switched. I'm surprised to see you say that he changed.

What context was placed on the Fritz Hollings statue? You don't think it is odd they put up a statue of a former segregationist in Charleston given there has been a big push to have statues removed and buildings renamed, as well as the riots? The Confederate flag went up on the state house soon after he became governor. It seems like if black voters are voting nearly 100% for a party, that party would not put up a statue of a former segregationist. It is bad optics.

There's been a push by students and faculty at UofSC to have the Thurmond fitness center renamed.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-20-2021 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area