U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

106 posts, read 359,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Sad how many people are residents of SC, have been for years, and still have out of state license plates.
Yes, it is. Unless they're military (which many are since this is a major military state) they're going to have one heck of a time trying to renew their registrations when their tags expire. Think of the fines ontop of the years of personal property taxes they'll have to pay.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM

85 posts, read 161,283 times
Question - we will be renting for a year so we can decide if we are staying. We will still own properties in our home state. Can we legally keep our vehicles registered in our home state? What about our drivers licenses? Thanks.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:14 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,125,412 times
Legally, you have 45 days to change your vehicle registration when you move to SC. If you are still using your other address as your official residence the state may never know, but be careful. Most counties have auditors/inspectors that run spot checks and reference other data to catch those who have not paid the property tax.

From the DMV website:

Moving to South Carolina

If you move to South Carolina from another state, you have 45 days to transfer your vehicle title and registration. You may apply for the title and registration by mail. The Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration, which must be completed, contains the proper mailing address for the department.

You must have the following to transfer your out-of-state vehicle title and registration:

-Your out-of-state vehicle title and registration
-If there is a lien on your vehicle, you must bring the name and address of the company that holds the lien.
-Liability Insurance information
-You must provide the name of your automobile liability insurance company, not the name of the agent.
-Completed Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration
To complete the form, you must have your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information.
-Paid Vehicle Property Tax Receipt
-Before you can register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must first pay the vehicle property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside.

Title and Registration Fees
Title - $15.00 fee

Passenger cars - $24.00 fee
RV's - $24.00 fee

Persons 64 years of age $22.00 fee

65 or older or disabled $20.00 fee

(If disabled, a statement from a medical doctor as to the permanency of the disability must be submitted)

Motorcycles - $10.00 fee

Utility or Camper Trailers - $10.00 fee

Trailers with empty weight in excess of 2500 lbs. - $20.00 fee

Trucks, Truck-Trailers and Road Tractors (All Property Carrying Vehicles)*

GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT FEE

0001-4000 $30.00

4001-5000 $40.00

5001-6000 $60.00

6001-7000 $70.00

7001-8000 $80.00

8001-9000 $90.00

9001-10000 $100.00

(Over 9000 GVW upon request)

* Trucks over 26,000 GVW and buses 16 passengers or more for hire must show SSN or FEIN, but tax receipt is not required.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 PM

106 posts, read 359,330 times
Baylovers is correct. I wouldn't take the chance personally

Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,869 times
Default Property taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog1985 View Post
We paid $425 for our truck last year so it can't be capped.
From what I read the $300 'cap' is on the sales tax on initial purchase. Subsequent yearly property taxes are figured by millage rate in county. All info posted on SC tax pages just search for it.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrep View Post
I have a problem. 1.5 months ago I bought a car in Maryland but my address was in NC. When they calculated the cost and sales tax it was for NC. Now they just called and said since I moved to Charleston, SC that my sales taxes were $1500 more and I have to pay that out of pocket. I have heard about people getting their car appraised or something to show a lower value to make up the difference some but I don't know much about it. I do need some help on this though because I have about 10 days before I have to get it registered and get tag for SC. Thanks!!!
$300 maximum SALES TAX in SC. If you buy from a dealer the county will bill you in about 30 days for the property tax.
Check out this from the SC Dept. of Revenue
[url]http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/64686F81-AF32-4D5B-BD8B-4A5F8B67FBE4/0/IL036.pdf[/url]

Old 09-28-2008, 03:56 PM

32 posts, read 95,126 times
I just moved here and I have been wondering about the sales tax. I understand there are 2 types of taxes here that need to be paid; 1. personal property tax, which is based on the assessed value of your car, and decreases every year. 2. Sales tax, which is 5% of the selling price or $300 max.

My question is this. When you move here and your car was purchased in another state and the sales tax in that state was already paid (mine was 10 years ago), does SC still expect sales tax to be paid again? I wouldn't think so, but I am wondering.

Cheri

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM

959 posts, read 729,402 times
I lived in SC twice, and VA, CT, OR, HI etc and they all try to force me into getting their state plates. Yes I am military, but they try anyways.
Now, when I retire my primary vehicle is registered with two names on it. One Oregon, and mine. I will keep it in Oregon. SInce there are two names on it and both on the insurance, they cant say crap. They can try, but its both our cars, just located in another state.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM

3,008 posts, read 2,529,090 times
If you still own land in another state, you should be able to keep your car registered there. If your only residence and/or property is in SC, then you MUST pay your car taxes in that state.

DO NOT trust the car stealer for this information! It sounds as if the Maryland stealer is gonna make a hefty profit for registering your car in SC for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,670,909 times
Ok, some on here are confusing sales tax with property tax.

SC sales taxes on all new and used vehicles is capped at $300.00 one time charge at purchase.

Personal property taxes are assessed each year and will decrease as the car ages and gets more miles on it, this is based on the value of the car. Ie my son's 1994 Jeep has yearly taxes of about $55.00, my wifes 2006 Durango is about $295.00.

You property taxes should never be over $1500.00 unless you are driving a Mazeraty or Poshe or some other high end vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area