U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 65,647 times

Advertisements

My wife is a native of the Palmetto State, and only recently moved here with me to Virginia after we were married. Well, to make a long story short, she badly wants us to move down there - and I love the state, so we're trying to get ourselves moved! The problem: finding a good job. I am in hotel management, and the positions which I ever see open up are few and far between. When I have submitted my resume for them, I get the brush-off (despite having 18 years experience). Am I running into a situation where I have to "know somebody" to get a job?

We would love to settle down in the Charleston/Hilton Head area; any advice you folks can offer would sure be appreciated! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,088,354 times
my friend, if you are in Hotel Management, look at Kiawah Island resorts. Great place to work and wonderful surroundings.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM

548 posts, read 1,806,134 times
Locate a good headhunter on the coast who deals with hotel managment.
Don't limit yourself to just one area but also consider all along the coast even down to Savanah, GA.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,115,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaaina View Post
My wife is a native of the Palmetto State, and only recently moved here with me to Virginia after we were married. Well, to make a long story short, she badly wants us to move down there - and I love the state, so we're trying to get ourselves moved! The problem: finding a good job. I am in hotel management, and the positions which I ever see open up are few and far between. When I have submitted my resume for them, I get the brush-off (despite having 18 years experience). Am I running into a situation where I have to "know somebody" to get a job?

We would love to settle down in the Charleston/Hilton Head area; any advice you folks can offer would sure be appreciated! Thanks.
Well, Charleston and HH are a little far apart. Surely you've tried at the numerous hotel resorts on HH??? Weren't you looking at Wilmington also???

Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM

19 posts, read 65,647 times
I was, in fact also considering Wilmington; but after visiting there and talking with the job prospect, we are once again keeping our fingers crossed for the SC coast. I've scoured the resorts and hotels on Hilton Head, and in Charleston, and check daily the listings in all publications and online resources, but little ever pops up.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,548 times
Don't know if you have gotten much success yet. I'm relocating as well and have been interviewing with the Charleston Place Hotel EXTENSIVELY. My move is in April and I'm going down there with no job. What I've heard from other people who have relocated to the area....most companies aren't going to hire you until you are in town..no matter how many times you tell them you are coming.
Another good headhunter is LOUIS@YUHASZSTAFFING.COM and a great website is http://www.charlestonjobnetwork.com

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area