U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 30,220 times

Advertisements

Hi -

We are going back to MA for a couple of weeks for a family wedding, and my dog wants to stay here in Goose Creek..... I hate having to leave him - he's never actually been boarded, but the resort we have to stay in for the wedding has a no pets policy.

So, I need a GREAT place...... if anyone has any recommendations for my "oldest son" I would be very grateful! We're in Goose Creek, but can be anywhere from Charleston to Myrtle Beach if the best places are not local.

Thanks!

MASC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,038,731 times
Definitely go to My Three Dogs in Mt. Pleasant (on 17 almost at the town center). Kris, the owner, LOVES dogs and we went there (our Lucy girl passed away) as well as all our friends' dogs. No question about the level of care you doggie will receive there. We never kenneled our dog either. Tell her April sent you! The staff is great, the facility is great, and best yet, she never kennels the dogs. She sleeps there most nights (or someone does) and hangs out with them all day. She even let Lucy sleep in the bed with her some nights. It's a little pricey at $40/ night but it includes doggie daycare for the day (w/ all the other dogs) and if your "doggieson" is staying for a couple weeks, then I'm sure she'll cut you a deal. There is usually a dog there staying for an extended period of time, so your doggie will make friends! The website has an application on it and she will want you to come by w/ your dog first and make sure his temperament is good and he has all his shots and all that. Her site still says she's brand new, but she's been open over a year now.

I hope you find a great one you like, even if this doesn't work out for you! Picking a place for your pet to stay is such an important decision!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 AM

That place does look great - way out of my price range, unfortunately. I figured that I would need to pay about 250 - 300, but that would be over 600 for the two weeks .... as much as I like the looks of that place, there's just no way I can come up with that kind of cash.

I sent a note, asking about the total cost, but I'm still open to suggestions for anyone else that has a place they trust.
Thank you, though! Maybe we'll look into them, just for a treat for Wrigley to play at occasionally.......

Anyone else?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 AM

106 posts, read 474,910 times
The Goose Creek Animal Clinic has a boarding facility that is very nice. You're required to have his bordatella (kennel cough) shots so make sure you have them done (2 sprays up the nose, 6 weeks apart) or you won't be able to board anywhere.

Animal Medical Clinic of Goose Creek - Bed & Biscuit (http://www.amcgoose.com/page6.php - broken link)

Last edited by gdog1985; 05-25-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 AM

380 posts, read 769,006 times
I have priced tons of dog boarding facilities in the area and they are so expensive! One of the "cheaper" ones I have found but still very nice is in Mt. Pleasant just over the bridge. It is called Best Friends Boarding and it is attached to a vet's office. There are several rooms you can choose from. I took a tour and felt very comfortable leaving my yorkie there.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:11 AM

2,501 posts, read 6,894,613 times
What about hiring a reliable pet sitter to just stay at your home with your dog...some will take your dog to their home as well. I know a few young teachers (animal lovers) who do that for extra income. I believe both will do either, stay at your home or take your dog to their home. They said they know of other young professionals who are doing this as well. If you're interested in this option, I will ask at school on Tuesday for you. I have no idea as to what they charge...they may be cheaper or more expensive than traditional boarding.

I trade off of with other friends and family members who have pets when I go out of town....I keep my brother's dog whenever he leaves and either he or friends come stay at my home to pet sit (3 dogs, 3 cats!) when I go out of town. Perhaps there is someone you could work out this type of arrangement with? This way my pets don't have to change their routine and still have their large yard to run around in during the day and their own beds to sleep in at night.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,038,731 times
that's a great suggestion. i know a great lady who pet sitted our's sometimes. dm me and i will give you her contact if you'd like.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:11 PM

71 posts, read 337,565 times
Silversmith Farm on Johns Island. My dog loves it out there.
Silversmith Farm Boarding Kennel in Charleston, SC

Old 05-26-2008, 02:59 PM

I've considered a dog sitter, but two weeks is an awfully long time for him to be alone at night etc... and I really don't know anyone around here very well. We rent our home, and I don't know how our land lords would feel either about us leaving the dog and hiring a stranger to come in while we're away.

We're new to the area we live, and all family will also be traveling. My brother in law used to stay at our house, but we're not near him anymore...... it was so easy then!!

I've gotten some GREAT suggestions - so I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for their advice. I hope to start looking at some places this week, but I'm still open to more and more suggestions, just to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:01 PM

548 posts, read 1,807,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASC Girl View Post
Hi -

We are going back to MA for a couple of weeks for a family wedding, and my dog wants to stay here in Goose Creek..... I hate having to leave him - he's never actually been boarded, but the resort we have to stay in for the wedding has a no pets policy.

So, I need a GREAT place...... if anyone has any recommendations for my "oldest son" I would be very grateful! We're in Goose Creek, but can be anywhere from Charleston to Myrtle Beach if the best places are not local.

Thanks!

MASC
Sounds like you are originally from MA. If so, do you know a kennel up there that you are happy with and can bring your dog to board there. You might then be able to visit him during that two weeks to take him out for a walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area