Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 15,066 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 25 year old who is looking to teach and live in Charleston. I grew up on Long Island and want to get out of here soon for various reasons....I was originally thinking of either Raleigh or Charleston but I am not a big city person so therefore I think Charleston would be a better fit. (I enjoy a more quaint neighborhood where I can still find a nightlife). My parents recently bought a house in Mt. Pleasant and are currently renting it out ...They love it down there...They also claim that there are a lot of young people there...Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated!

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Rent your parents' house from them and come on down. You'll find plenty of young single people, plenty to do in the smaller city life. Have you checked into the school districts and colleges for teaching positions?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,543 times
Also looking to relocate from the northeast (PA) and visiting Charleston this summer to look around. We are at a different time in our lives than dirish18. Our youngest will be a senior in high school next year and would like to attend college in north or south carolina. We are taking her to look at schools over the next few months, including College of Charleston. Her dad and I feel this may be our best time to re-locate as well since we both greatly desire warmer year round temps and have been waiting patiently to make the move (she is our youngest of four). He is close to retirement though should be able to work home based for a few years and thankfully I have built a home based business so that my work does not limit our choices for re-location. Any ideas on areas of town to look at that would be compatible with our stage in life? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 AM

There's plenty of locales in the area that could fit your stage of life. It's all about what you want around you, and what you want to do during these years. You could want to find something downtown close to all the shops, or head to the beach and finally take up surfing. Either way, I'm sure we can help.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM

19 posts, read 47,277 times
I just relocated to Charleston from South Florida. I love it here so far. Only thing is where do you meet people around your own age (mid-30s) to hang out with? My hubby and I are best friends but I'd love to meet some girls I can go do girl stuff with and possibly other dog owners who can tell me the best places to go with my pup... Oh and Diane, there are definitely a lot of young people here!
- Kellyn

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM

James Island County Park for dog lovers. There's a great dog run area there alongside the lake. You both could also try the Charleston Sport and Social Club (Play Sports, Have Fun, Be Social with Charleston Sports and Social Club) as another way to meet up with late 20's-mid 30's groups.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 47,277 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

For the info - I'll definitely look into that although I'm not exactly the most coordinated person I know... I can dance but as for hitting a ball with a bat?? hahahaha! Not so much! My hubby can, though! I'm a swimmer, although I could give the kickball a shot, I was always a decent kicker!

I'll definitely take my dog to James Island County Park - sounds great!

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,142 times
[quote=Streamline;3915254]Also looking to relocate from the northeast (PA) and visiting Charleston this summer to look around. We are at a different time in our lives than dirish18.

What part of PA? We moved from Lancaster County PA in 2007 after years of waiting, wanting and spending so much money visiting. We love it! It's beautiful all year long. We love exploring new places and there is so much to see here. We live just outside of historic Summerville. We still have kids in high school and one in college. Do your research. You will find what is best for you.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 335,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirish18 View Post
I am a single, 25 year old who is looking to teach and live in Charleston. I grew up on Long Island and want to get out of here soon for various reasons....I was originally thinking of either Raleigh or Charleston but I am not a big city person so therefore I think Charleston would be a better fit. (I enjoy a more quaint neighborhood where I can still find a nightlife). My parents recently bought a house in Mt. Pleasant and are currently renting it out ...They love it down there...They also claim that there are a lot of young people there...Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated!

Diane

I met my wife at MUSC. She says meeting good guys was tough, so she settle with me. Oh, she's the apple of my eye, but I do remember fondly the women of the CofC....well, back to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area