Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times

Advertisements

Here we go again.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
I guess it's all in the interpretation. Both areas have excellent school systems. Historically Summerville's schools have been scoring higher, but it seems that Mount Pleasant schools have been overtaking them in recent years. Either way, neither would be a bad choice.

Test scores aside, the most important inspection of the area for you should be when you come into town and take a tour of the schools yourself. I never trust numbers, students can and do fail out of some of the best schools in the nation, and even private school systems can have violence, drugs and disciplinary problems. Always talk to the teachers, talk to the principal, tour the schools yourself. Once you find schools you like, and would feel comfortable sending your children to, then you can easily narrow down the neighborhoods zoned for them.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I guess it's all in the interpretation. Both areas have excellent school systems. Historically Summerville's schools have been scoring higher, but it seems that Mount Pleasant schools have been overtaking them in recent years. Either way, neither would be a bad choice.

Test scores aside, the most important inspection of the area for you should be when you come into town and take a tour of the schools yourself. I never trust numbers, students can and do fail out of some of the best schools in the nation, and even private school systems can have violence, drugs and disciplinary problems. Always talk to the teachers, talk to the principal, tour the schools yourself. Once you find schools you like, and would feel comfortable sending your children to, then you can easily narrow down the neighborhoods zoned for them.

Well said! Summerville, James Island, and Mt. Pleasant all have some good schools, nice homes and neighborhoods, activities for children, etc.....one is not better than the other - it is just a matter of personal choice and proximity to one's place of employment, which should make the decision as to where one chooses to live.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
After attending Stratford's awards ceremony on Friday I have seen there are bright, well educated students at every school. It's just the ones that don't care about school that bring the number's down. Typically the ones that live in low income areas and those that do not have parents involved with schools. My DH and I have been involved with our daughter's activities and her education throughout her 12 yrs of school in which we were rewarded on Friday with the award's she received.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Congrats to you and your daughter on her accomplishments!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Thanks DJ, we are very proud of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area