U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 8,579,853 times
Default Swimming with the Dolphins!

Hey Everyone,

Was anyone at Sullivan's beach today in the late AM? I was swimming there with a friend and was thrilled to see a Dolphin or two swim by us only about 20 feet away from us.

Has anyone else ever had that happen?

Also I'll admit, although the water was a lot warmer than what I'm used to, compared to the air that felt like 98 degrees, the 80 degree water that got cooler the deeper you got was cool enough to qualify as refreshing, I guess.

I think it was probably about the same temperature as I remember the water being in the Yucatan in Mexico at Cozumel.

There's little need for tropical vacations if you live down here. I'd swim here on a nice day in January. I walked the beaches during last winter and didn't swim but did wade and I didn't think the water was cold at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:19 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,903,987 times
It's quite a usual occurrence down here.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM

899 posts, read 2,330,657 times
Sorry, Too Late!
The green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) are edible, although not encouraged as they eat all the spiders. So, tell your cat.

The dolphins are typically a bit further out, but come in for the bait often. You want to see a real dolphin show, head to Edisto.

Please remember, it's an old (or young) wive's tale that dolphins keep sharks away.
They eat the same fish.
jim

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 AM

8,560 posts, read 8,579,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Sorry, Too Late!
The green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) are edible, although not encouraged as they eat all the spiders. So, tell your cat.

The dolphins are typically a bit further out, but come in for the bait often. You want to see a real dolphin show, head to Edisto.

Please remember, it's an old (or young) wive's tale that dolphins keep sharks away.
They eat the same fish.
jim
I figured most of the frogs and lizards must be good. I know the geckos also eat roaches although I dn't see how they can get their mouths around the big ones. I don't think they can. I always seem to find a big roach every once in a while by the door, upside down on their backs and dead.

Regarding dolphins, I saw a show on cable that showed dolphins swimming around three girls keeping the girls together so they wouldn't swim out in different directions and get bitten by a shark that was also nearby. The girls were terrified that the dolphins had trapped them together but their father who was in the water farther away knew about the shark and knew the girls would be even more scared if they knew about the shark. Eventually, the four of them were rescued but it was neat how the dolphins protected the girls from the shark.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,903,987 times
There have been some truly amazing stories of dolphins aiding humans in the ocean, from the above to rescuing drowning sailors. I wouldn't "depend" on them to keep me safe from sharks while swimming, though. It's always refreshing to watch them frolic nearby though.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 PM

899 posts, read 2,330,657 times
I've been in the salt water since I was a toddler. Still am as often as I can get there.
I truly love to see the dolphins around me. Try it on a kayak & you get to see, up close, how massive, powerful and graceful they are.
But I know the sharks are there as well...

I personally know of three hits on surfers in my life. That doesn't count the chunks out of surfboards. It's a different feeling when you see the shark fin.

It is immediately recognizable as a threat by someone who spends time on the water.

I know better than to romanticize the presence of the dolphins. They are there to eat.

Just the facts from a (at times) frantic paddler;
jim

Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM

890 posts, read 2,906,000 times
This happened to me in Daytona Beach. A large school of fish had come in close to shore and the dolphins were eating them up. When a wave would go up before it would break you could see all the fish and the dolphins speeding through the wave to get the fish. I tried to keep my distance, as fascinating as it was to watch, but it was a dangerous situation in that the dolphins probably didn't care who or what got in their way. Eventually the lifeguard called everyone in until the dolphins went further out.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:50 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,001,713 times
I was with some family & friends tubing in the Waccamaw River in pawleys Island last year. I fell off the tube mid-river and was wating for the boat to come back & pick me up whne I saw a dorsal finn about 25 feet or so away from me. I had a sudden WTF moment until I saw a couple of more come up in the usual dolphin motion. It was a very cool experience.

On the ocean side of Pawleys this past week has been loaded with shark sitings. The surf casting fisherman were pulling up small (1-2 foot) nurse & bonnet-head shark constantly. There were a few larger ones spotted pretty close to the shore, also. Plenty of sting rays around, too. I guess the bait fish have been making their way in. Keep your eyes open when swimming!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,694,931 times
I have seen several dolphins get close to me while swimming at Kiawah Island and the Isle of Palms. Usually, the closest has been mayb 15' or so.

As to the comment about the warm water, yes, in summer, it's warm, but in winter, that water is very cold. It is only 55 degrees or so I believe. I wouldn't even wade into that, but my dog likes it still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area