Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 54,269 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Couple questions for you! I've decided to move here for various reasons. Most of all i miss being down there (lived in myrtle for 5 years), but have been living in Pittsburgh, Pa for the last 4 years and its tough up here. Ok so i'm a guy whose 28, i have finished college and got an MBA in corporate finance and have been working for wells fargo financial as a credit manager for over a year. I will be moving in with a friend in Myrtle (cause i know no one in charleston) come july 2nd. I figure that way at least i will be closer to charleston and can apply for jobs that way. So thats some of my background. Basically, here are my questions. Being 28 and single, im trying to figure out which part of chaleston i should be. Obviously a good night life would be awesome and i love the beach. Right now im looking to rent (looking for something not too too pricey) or perhaps finding rommates down there to move in. AS far as employment, any places you would recommend for me to check out (again i have experience with loan lending, mortgage refinancing, credit analysis and such, plus with my MBA in education). I saved enough money to hold me thru 3 months so i'm not on empty. What is the job market like down there? IS it as bad as teh rest of the country. Your input will be greatly appreciated very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 AM

403 posts, read 935,708 times
Hi Mkbus, I moved here a few months ago myself. I grew up in Philly so I understand how tough it can be living up north.

I do think the job market is terrible here. I worked in financial services when I was in Philly and had a hard time finding anything when I moved here. Be prepared to probably take a pay cut.

As far as places to live...downtown is where a lot of night life is. Housing in nicer areas is expensive (probably would need a roommate) but there is so much to do down there. James Island is filled with young professionals and more affordable than downtown. I like this area because you are right between the Folly Beach and the city. Mt. Pleasant is very nice also but kinda yuppie and very family oriented. Then there is West Ashley. It is a bit further out from the beach and traffic to and from the city can make a commute downtown a bit frustrating (although nothing like up north). There are a lot of affordable apartments in that area but you have to be careful because there are nice areas mixed with shadier areas.

I personally would say James Island or downtown would be your best bet.

Lots of luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM

46 posts, read 147,685 times
Seems like everyone is moving here. West Ashley is where I rent now and it's the nicest place i've lived since moving here.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
I'm going with James Island & West Ashley.
You gotta remember that West Ashley is LONG! You may have a 5 minute commute or a 45 minute snooze/commute in the morning.

Check out Craig's List for a roommate & see what comes up.

As far as job market, hmmmm...
The MBA sure will help, & our market is not as bad as just about everywhere else;
but it's gonna be tough.
jim
jim

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
There are plenty of rentals downtown as well. You could bike to work, shopping, partying, etc. But James Island sections on Folly Rd/Harborview would put you just as close to everything.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 AM

46 posts, read 147,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I'm going with James Island & West Ashley.
You gotta remember that West Ashley is LONG! You may have a 5 minute commute or a 45 minute snooze/commute in the morning.

Check out Craig's List for a roommate & see what comes up.

As far as job market, hmmmm...
The MBA sure will help, & our market is not as bad as just about everywhere else;
but it's gonna be tough.
jim
jim
Yes, West Ashley is very oddly shaped!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,249 times
Default Moving to Charleston & Noticed Alligator Signs

Our family is also moving to Charleston in July and looking for a house to rent for the first year. We were ready to sign a lease agreement today for a very nice home in Hamlin Plantation (The Sound subdivision) and noticed signs posted throughout the community "Beware of alligators". This is a big concern for us coming from Colorado.

Can someone tell me if this is a big issue there? We are now looking in Park West as this seems very family oriented and may not have as much reptiles.

Help!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
If there is water, assume there is a gator in it.
They don't care how nice the area is...
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area