Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,838 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Charleston next spring. I am a professional groomer, 30+ yrs, and would be looking to open a hip and trendy shop. I am curious if there's a demand for truly top quality grooming. Do people in the area understand the need to groom their pets on a regular basis and also be willing to compensate the groomer fairly? I'm wanting to move from ABQ because of the bad attitude folks have toward their pets and don't want to move to another town with more of the same. Any suggestions on good areas to open such a shop? As much as I love living and working in historic areas, I need to be realistic about where I can make $$ and affordablity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Hmmm,
Sounds like a Return On Investment question.
I am friends with SPCA board people that are just nuts about animals.

My first inclination is that we love pets here, but perhaps not to your price point.
I'm thinking that "hip and trendy" and "truly top quality grooming" may not necessarily coincide with the "willing to compensate the groomer fairly" in the owners mind.

Downtown for sure, just a feeling I'm getting, but you never know!
jim

Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
i think you would DEFINITELY fit in well in charleston. people here (now there to me) LOVE their pets (us included) and we spend a pretty hefty penny making sure they are well groomed, dressed, fed, treated, etc. check into palmetto paws, dolittles, and my three dogs for a good idea of shops in the area. palmetto paws is an upscale dog store w/ nice leashes, a self bathing station to take your dog in, expensive treats, and dog food. same as dolittles. my three dogs is an upscale doggie daycare with treats and groomers. also check into lowcountrydog.com - that will definitely get you in the know. as long as you do good work with the shelters and really care about the animals - you will do well. i know that we went to a ton of groomers before we found the right one and the ones with good reputations are always booked.

good luck!

Last edited by fisher33; 06-22-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: added

Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 PM

16 posts, read 47,978 times
Look into Mt Pleasant!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 AM

160 posts, read 534,171 times
Out of curiosity, how much is the grooming for a Bichon?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
yes, definitely mt. pleasant or the staples/ whole foods shopping center on james island is booming now. it has that upscale home store now and i think it's doing well. dolittles is also there. or of course, daniel island.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Charleston is extraordinarily dog-friendly. I think you'll find people willing to pay a good penny for top quality grooming. I'd certainly check into Doolittles, to see who they have contact with locally that does high-end grooming.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,622 times
Well, even here in Summerville there are a ton of dog owners who spend a lot of money on their dogs' regular grooming needs and will travel a bit for a top quality groomer.

Including myself, with my Maltese and Bichon.

Mt Pleasant or downtown would be a good fit, IMHO.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 63,899 times
i think it would be a good business oportunity. I live in the hanahan/north charleston area and the only groomer around was very mean to our two dogs..we now use a mobile grooming service, but I would love to have a permanent shop to take our two dogs. and yes people around here do definately take care of their dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area