Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 107,842 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Charleston , and wanted to ask for advice on neighborhoods.

In all of my research, I've found so much conflicting information regarding whether or not Charleston has lesbian friendly neighborhoods.

We are looking for in the city living, in perhaps a loft or industrial type building. We are very interested in art, music and trendy areas. We also have a small dog who we love to take for walks, and are avid cyclers and are very helath concious. Anything you could provide as far as what areas to check out would be so helpful and appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 AM

937 posts, read 857,800 times
There are some nice lofts/condos in and around downtown Charleston. Also, James Island has some gay/lesbian friendly neighborhoods. What is your price range?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 107,842 times
Thank you for the reply! I think the maximum is $250k. Not sure if we are barking up thw wrong tree with that price range or not?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM

937 posts, read 857,800 times
No, there are plenty of nice houses on James Island you can get for 250K and less, although most of them are old. There is a nice, large park in James Island. There are green spaces, walk/bike trails, etc. Also, shopping isn't far away. Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM

123 posts, read 569,732 times
Default Being a same-sex couple on a budget in the lowcountry

Welcome to the Charleston forum missjess.

My partner and I moved here a couple months ago from NYC. We're currently renting an apartment on James Is. This allows us the time to casually look for a house/townhouse/condo. Believe me, there is a wide range of places out there; style, condition, types of neighborhoods, etc. Our budget is about 200-225k, which is possible in James Is-W Ashley. I think if you avoid the trendy "beaten path" of the Peninsula/Mount Pleasant, you'll be alright. In our price range, there are a lot of money pits, but also some great bargains west of the Ashley River or in North Charleston. You just have to take the time to look around.

I don't know where you and your partner are coming from but you have to put some things into perspective here with regard to being gay. Remember that while this is an artistic community, it is also a military town, so the culture here suscribes to the "Don't ask, don't tell" philosophy.

The gay community here is small though not necessarily closeted. It just isn't concentrated in any particular area. So it has a very different vibe than a town like New York or Atlanta. I suppose there are some "gay-friendly" areas that gay couples and singles gravitate to but they aren't necessarily gay-identified. I'm thinking of the Hampton Park area just west of Rutledge Av on the mid-Peninsula, and Park Circle in North Charleston. Other than that, we've noticed numerous same-sex couples comfortably melting into the fabric of restaurants and stores on Folly Rd and Mt Pleasant Town Center. Our experience here on James Is has been pleasant enough. There seems to be a young population here due to its proximity to the Peninsula and Folly Beach, so I suppose that makes the island seem more tolerant.

Your best bet for getting a feel for the gay community would be to check out some of the resources available to you here in the lowcountry, such as affa-sc.org.

So far, we've found Charleston to be a very welcoming place. I know you will too. Just take the time to do your homework, keep an open mind, relax and reach out, and you'll find out why the rest of us have discovered why this tiny jewel (where the Ashley and Cooper rivers form the Atlantic Ocean) is so sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area