Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to visit Charleston (something I've wanted to do for years!). We'll be staying just outside the historic district. Any input on good restaurants (meaning the food is good--we're not so worried about atmosphere, although on the water is always pleasant)? Also, what are some "must dos" or "must sees" in your opinion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Too many good restaraunts around to just name a few, but here goes.

In Downtown:

S.N.O.B.: "Sligtly North of Broad"
Cypruss
Blossom
Magnolias
Peninsula Grill (in the Planters Inn)
Hymans
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co
The Boathouse
Tristan
Poogan's Porch
82 Queen
and many more. No shortage of good restaraunts in the city.

In Mt Pleasant, good waterfront dining at
Shem Creek Bar & Grill
RB's
The Wreck

In W Ashley:
Waterfront dining at "The Charleston Crabhouse".

Must see things are too many too, but I always tell people who've never gone to it, you must go see Ft Sumter. The boatride itself provides some awesome views of the city from the Harbor.

Go to one of the plantations, either Magnolia Plantation and Gardens or Boone Hall. Middleton Place is another great one.

Take a carriage ride or do a night ghost tour. Shop at the market. Just walk around the downtown, even the residential neighborhoods are awesome to walk around at. Spend an evening on the Pier at Waterfront Park. When I go there w/ my girlfriend, we like to just sit on one of the swings and people watch, in the evening, you usually have a comfortable breeze down there. Go one of the beaches, Isle of Palms is a little cleaner than Folly but both are good. Sullivans is also good. If you golf, check out any number of the great golf courses around.

Lastly, take a lot of pictures. Charleston and the low country is a very picturesque area.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
Use the advanced search feature & you will have a ton of info!
jim

Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Ohioaninsc made some very good recommendations. I also like Fulton Five downtown which is excellent. I'm not a big fan of Hyman's. I would walk around the corner to Hank's.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
I'd second the recommendation of Hanks over Hymans. Fleet Landing would also be a good idea. Dine out on the deck overlooking the harbor.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Ohioaninsc made some very good recommendations. I also like Fulton Five downtown which is excellent. I'm not a big fan of Hyman's. I would walk around the corner to Hank's.
Hyman's is the place that most people know about, it's not my favorite by far. Hanks is a good place. I also like the Noisy Oyster and FISH.

Is The Landing the run down looking place right on the waterfront? I've always wondered about that place, b/c it loos so run down, you wouldn't think it's any good. Is the inside nicer looking than the outside? How is the food?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Fleet Landing is right on the water, at the end of Concord Street. It's a great place, with wonderful environment.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 378,596 times
Make sure stop at the visitors center first. It is an amazing place and will give you a perspective to start from.
Charleston Area Convention & Visitor Bureau - Charleston, SC Charleston Seafood Restaurants - The Best Seafood restaurants in Charleston, SC - 10Best
Also the chowhounds on this board are very knowledgeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area