U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM

98 posts, read 323,758 times

Advertisements

Our 18 year old daughter thinks that Charleston may be a 'bit boring'.
I think she will appreciate the historic architecture and shopping but as for the plantation houses.....!
I'm sure that teenagers must exist in this area so can anyone tell me if there are places that are a 'must see or do' for this age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,345,459 times
My daughter is almost 16 (she has a car) and they spend most of their time at the beach, shopping at the town center, eating out, and shopping on King Street. She isn't really into the historical stuff either.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 40,247 times
im 23 now but when i was in high school most of my friends spent days at the beach..if she is not into that...find somekind of sports hobby...i use to play year around....

Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,889,660 times
The teens here spend a lot of time at the beach, playing sports, going to movies, shopping, going to concerts and parties....the same things kids do in other places. Many have part time jobs too, since we have so many tourist attractions.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 AM

I'm sorry - I didn't explain myself properly. We are actually coming over from the U.K for a holiday next week and will be in the Charleston area from 12th -19th July.
So it was more suggestions for touristy things to do that might be of interest.
The ghost walks sound like fun.
However, I've just looked at the weather forecast and see that 'Bertha' could be heading in your direction. I REALLY hope she decides to go elsewhere. (And I'm sure that you do as well!)

Old 07-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Well, I just got back from a 2 week long holiday in the U.K.....so we almost passed each other! Spent 4 days in Ireland (Shannon, Killarney, Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle, Dublin, etc.) then one day in Wales, then 4 days in Scotland (mostly Edinburgh....LOVED Edinburgh Castle, Trinity College and Book of Krells among lots of other things and numerous other castles), then 5 days in England (the Lakes Region/ Windermere, Dove Cottage - Wordsworth's home was one of my favorite places as was Beatrix Potter's home, then ended in London where we did and saw just about everything!). Westminster Abbey was one of my favorite places since I am of the Anglican faith. Buckingham and Windsor Palaces, Tower of London, National Portrait Museum, etc. Boy did we stay busy! What part of the U.K. are you from?

I am already looking forward to my next trip over...hopefully next year. It was fun looking up my Irish and Scottish heritage and I hope to do more.

Everyone was so hospitable to us there and I hope you have the same fortune here in the States.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM

1,294 posts, read 4,825,839 times
definitely a ghost tour (they're really fun) or a carriage tour (the pirates one is fun) and shopping and visit the aquarium. surely she'll like that. i love the aquarium (age 24). the beach of course and eating out is always fun.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Well, I just got back from a 2 week long holiday in the U.K.....so we almost passed each other! Spent 4 days in Ireland (Shannon, Killarney, Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle, Dublin, etc.) then one day in Wales, then 4 days in Scotland (mostly Edinburgh....LOVED Edinburgh Castle, Trinity College and Book of Krells among lots of other things and numerous other castles), then 5 days in England (the Lakes Region/ Windermere, Dove Cottage - Wordsworth's home was one of my favorite places as was Beatrix Potter's home, then ended in London where we did and saw just about everything!). Westminster Abbey was one of my favorite places since I am of the Anglican faith. Buckingham and Windsor Palaces, Tower of London, National Portrait Museum, etc. Boy did we stay busy! What part of the U.K. are you from?

I am already looking forward to my next trip over...hopefully next year. It was fun looking up my Irish and Scottish heritage and I hope to do more.

Everyone was so hospitable to us there and I hope you have the same fortune here in the States.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your trip and found the natives friendly. It sounds as if you packed in a lot of sightseeing - just hope you didn't find everything too expensive.
We live in Hampshire in the south of England, about 15 minutes from Winchester which is a beautiful cathedral city. The southern counties are really worth visiting, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Somerset and Cornwall. There you go, next years trip already planned for you!
We're really looking forward to visiting Charleston. It looks like a stunning city and I've picked up some great hints from this board on where to visit and dine.
My thanks to you all.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM

4,238 posts, read 3,799,643 times
We travelled to Charleston in the spring of this year with our 18 year old and his girlfriend (and our 10 year old son as well). We are in the process of moving to Charleston. The two older kids tagged along with us to the beach a couple of times. We also did the Patriot Point tour of the boats (the air craft carrier, the submarine, etc.). The teens spent a couple of days exploring the city. They took the carriage tour, enjoyed lunches and dinners at the local restaurants, toured the city and shopped.

My 18 year old has declared Charleston as his destination city when it's time to find a good job and settle down -- he loved it.

If your kids are comfortable in the water, there is probably a place to rent jet skis, or kayak. When you are on the ocean, there is always something to do!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Take a look at the street signs downtown, and (if you go to any of the plantations, the Old Exchange Building, or old homes) look at the names of the subjects in the portraits.....straight from England. Of course, Charleston was primarily settled by the Lords Proprietor of King Charles so there is very much a British influence here. You should feel right at home! Thanks, also, for the suggestions for my next trip to the U.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area