Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxJester View Post
Depends on who did the study, but I doubt they included haziness. "Haze" and "fog" are pretty distinct weather conditions. Charleston fog does burn off relatively quickly - it's not like San Francisco or anywhere in the Appalachians where the fog just sits for days. If you're really interested in the climate, the National Weather Service has local climatic data on norms and extremes (National Weather Service Climate), as does the state climatologist's office (South Carolina State Climatology Office).

Keep in mind that what you think of as a "good climate" depends a lot on where you're coming from. Growing up in Charleston, I HATED summers - too hot and sticky. Now, after 8 years of shoveling snow, the old summer dash from air-conditioned building to air-conditioned building looks like a decent trade!
Question for ya! You wouldn't happen to be with Accuweather in State College would ya? Welcome home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM

28 posts, read 51,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Question for ya! You wouldn't happen to be with Accuweather in State College would ya? Welcome home!
No, thank goodness!!! But I am a climatology/climate change expert. I now sense an avalanche of hurricane questions...

Thanks for the welcome... 10 days until packing up the truck!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxJester View Post
No, thank goodness!!! But I am a climatology/climate change expert. I now sense an avalanche of hurricane questions...

Thanks for the welcome... 10 days until packing up the truck!!!
Haha! With your name and where you are living I was thinking you might. What a cool occupation! Don't worry I won't bombard you with questions. lol I am into weather but only a spotter for the NWS here in Chas..

Your coming back just in time for the heat and humidity of August. lol

Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I moved from an island in the northeast (Newport, RI on Aquidneck Island) which was VERY foggy and VERY humid and damp although not as consistentenly HOT as it is here---BUT IT HAD ITS SHARE OF HOT DAYS and I had NO A/C . I'm finding, although today for example was supposed to be 91. On northern James Island I don't think it got past 85 and the humidity was not bad at all. I think so far we've had much hotter more humid days in June. July so far has been very bearable with a few days even being comfortable and not hot at all. Maybe all the rain we've had lately (most evenings) has helped. I will say that here I do use my car air conditioning whereas, in Rhode Island I rarely if ever did.

I'm told that in August it gets worse and that it is hotter and there are fewer breezes but this remains to be seen.

I generally keep hidden away inside where it is nice and cool and dry -- especially if first thing in the AM, I find that the outside temp is warmer than it is inside. To save energy I keep the temperature at about 79 and keep some shades drawn and cieling fans constantly running which makes it feel like about 75.

I must say I never thought I'd want to keep the sunlight out but here it is a must, if you want to stay cool and not waste energy.

So far except for an extra 5 degrees warmer temperature, I'm finding the summer just as pleasant (and in some respects more so but in others not as much) as they are in New England. June was worse than July has been so far from a heat and humidity standpoint. July has been nice here.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:21 PM

This summer has been great.....so far! Hopefully the rest of the month and August will be the same. Humidity hasn't been bad either, it's almost scarey. lol

Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,966 times
A common description of weather here... It's hot and it's going to get hotter. 100 degrees is not unusual in August.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I'm sure sometimes it gets hotter but according to the daily average temps for August on MSN weather, it looks like temps average around 76 for the average low to 87 degrees for the average high.
Charleston, SC (29403) Weather - Forecasts, Radar Maps, Video, and News Of course, this includes cooler night temperatures averaged in. Too bad they don't have statistics for average daytime temperatures. However comparing the average temps here with the average temps for Newport, RI for August, the averages are about 10 degrees higher here, with the average high there for August only being 77 degrees. It is definitely hotter here in the summer, that's for sure. It's just that it hasn't been as bad so far as people have been telling me it would be.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,966 times
I suppose we could debate the weather all day and I am sure I would enjoy doing so. I'm not a meterologist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'll just say it depends on where you are as to how hot it gets. Being from "Charleston" although I have never lived in the city limits and am trying very hard not to... when I speak of "Charleston" I am speaking in general terms. This would include most of Charleston county and the lower portions of Berkeley and Dorchester counties. Now when I make the 14 mile drive across the Wando River every day on the way home, the temperature will drop about 8 degrees from North Charleston to Mt Pleasant. Chalk it up to ocean breeze I suppose. When you get up around The Corner, it depends on whether you get any benefit from the Lake to cool things down. If you are farming in Bonneau, it can very well be 100 degrees while Summerville is enjoying a smooth 88 degrees in the front porch. Of course, I make no measurements using pinpoint doppler or accuweather. Oh how I miss Charlie Hall!
That's all I got. Have a "cool" summer!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Let's all just enjoy the temps and low humidity we've been having because who know's what kind of weather we'll have in August and even Sept..

Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
Right, the weather was sooo nice today, i got 3rd degree sunburn

That's what happens when there's no humidity and you stay outside all day long, and some of us were celebrating from last night...Beachy knows what i'm talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area