U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

42 posts, read 53,390 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate the info exchanged on this forum and I wanted to give you a heads up of something I experienced first hand..

I'm keeping an eye out for a rental for my family as we transition down to Charleston and I found a few things thru Craigslist that were possibilities but I came across one that is a scam..

The listing was posted on 08/07 and looked like this..

$1500 / 4br - Country Club Living at its Finest Up For Rent (Summerville)

Reply to: Deleted email reference
Date: 2008-08-07, 7:46AM EDT

Property Description
Beautiful all brick home in one of the finest gated country clubs in Charleston. Only minutes by car from shopping, Malls, downtown Charleston, and the beaches. Three bedrooms upstairs. A large master suite with adjacent bathroom including jetted tub, shower cabin, twin vanity sinks, and water closet, and two spacious bedrooms with a Jack and Jill bathroom. Downstairs is a fourth room with full bath that can be used as a study/rec room/den-guest room or fourth bedroom. Large kitchen opens on a vaulted great room with breakfast nook and fireplace. Separate formal living and dining room and large deck off of the great room. Fully equipped kitchen and attached two car garage. Lots of closets and storage space. High quality finishing throughout the house.

HERE IS THE ADDRESS BELOW:
Deleted address

Type: Houses and Homes for Rent
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms [/font]

So, I emailed the address and she (or he) responded in broken english. They wanted some general info - name, address, occupation, # of occupants and then they claimed to be looking for 'someone to care for their home like they had cared for it' and claiming that they had to leave for business relocation and the "caretaker" who was showing the place was unreliable and had to be let go -- so I couldn't see inside the home -- just peek in the windows.. and they followed up with all kinds of 'God Bless' and 'Faith in Christ' ALSO, they said that if I liked it then to just send a check for $3000 to Kenya (where they relocated) and they would send me the rental agreement and the keys.

I had a few email exchanges with this person and I'll be honest, I was a little skeptical but I checked the house out on Zillow and it matched the description and everything looked great! A few things kept gnawing at me (peeking into windows, the broken english, check mailed to Kenya etc) so I Googled the name they were using "deleted name and with a little research I found that deleted name is actually a property manager in Charleston and she actually does manage that property -- but someone took her name and created a yahoo email address and took the info and pics off her listings website. Created this story and wanted to get checks sent to them and you would have no rental and out $3000.

I can fill in more details if you want but if you are a renter--watch out for something like this and if you have listings--make sure someone isn't scalping your website!!!

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-11-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM

890 posts, read 2,969,371 times
Wow, good catch! This should be reported to the local news station. Live 5 News does a Scheme and Rip-Offs segment.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM

207 posts, read 663,348 times
Thanks for the info!! Thank goodness you checked things out!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:01 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,045,947 times
Sadly, there's a large number of scams like the above on craigslist.org posing as rentals and homes for sale.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM

306 posts, read 701,293 times
Lots of car scams... I can easily recognize them now, but I did respond to one, only to be asked to send my $ via EBAY & the car would be delivered to me from the U.K. Surely noone would fall for that. It's getting to be a pain to weed thru the scams.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM

42 posts, read 53,390 times
I contacted a website that craigslist has posted to report internet scams and I also contacted Barbara Ruddock's office and let them know. I think they were aware of it but they seemed indifferent that I was trying to give them a heads up. They told me not to send any money... gee, thanks for tip!!!

The scammers sent me an email this morning.. I have so far ignored it but I want to tell them what I think of their 'business venture' done in the name of God! Any suggestions on how I should respond or if I should at all? Here's a copy of this mornings email when I told them I was leery of sending money (to Nigeria) and peeking in windows..

Hello,

Thanks again for your mail am so glad to read from you but like i told you lately there is no one in Charleston for now to meet in person in doing this for now ok, sure there is some one i entrust but thier family are no more in charleston hope you understand,and like you read it in my mail the money will be send to me in Nigeria which have listed the package of what i will be sending to you after i confirm the payment ok, am very sorry about this ok, it was due to the caretaker i once had and due to the fact that am here in Nigeria his not always at the post of his duty and my applicant do came back to complain to me about not meeting anyone there whenever they went to see the house that was why i had to terminate his appointment cos i cant be paying him for the services he has not been rendering pls do bear with me for now ok, and thank you for contacting me, if you can follow the procedure that have set aside regarding leasing the house we will both be happy at end ok. you can only view the house from the outsie for now ok, and do get back to me as soon as you can ok.

Thanks
God Bless you

Any suggestions on a response? I hate to just leave it and not let them know I'm on to them and give them an earful but it's probably best.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,045,947 times
Response:

"Oh dear. No one in Charleston to help, and I'm in such desperate times. I have nowhere to put all this cash.... Maybe if I just slip it under the door of the home, then when you get into town you can see that I've deposited it. Would that be ok? I'm going to go do that right now. Thanks for all your help!"

::rolls eyes::

Just ignore them. I've had plenty of fun replying to them and promising them I just arrived in Nigeria, we can meet up at such and such location. I have the cash on me, blah blah blah.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 PM

890 posts, read 2,969,371 times
LOL - Good one DJ!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:52 PM

306 posts, read 701,293 times
I'm sure they realize most people will be on to them; they're holding out for that one trusting, naive person. Anyone who would scam like this probably doesn't care what we think of them. Isn't there any way the authorities can track down some of these scammers? (Or is that ME now being naive)?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,889,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshymansky View Post
response:

"oh dear. No one in charleston to help, and i'm in such desperate times. I have nowhere to put all this cash.... Maybe if i just slip it under the door of the home, then when you get into town you can see that i've deposited it. Would that be ok? I'm going to go do that right now. Thanks for all your help!"

::rolls eyes::

Just ignore them. I've had plenty of fun replying to them and promising them i just arrived in nigeria, we can meet up at such and such location. I have the cash on me, blah blah blah.
love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area