Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM

60 posts, read 234,539 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the Charleston area in a few weeks and would like to know the best places for ribs, fried chicken, and seafood. Separate restaurants for each category is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,354 times
Ribs: Melvin's BBQ makes outstanding pork ribs. They are just a touch better than Sticky Fingers. I am sure there are others around that are pretty good. Stay away from Shane's Rib Shack. Melvins and Sticky Fingers are both locally owned chains and can be found in several locations.
Fried Chicken: There is a little soul food restaurant on Hwy 17N in Mt Pleasant called the Gullah Cuisine. They have a lunch buffet during the week and a Sunday brunch. Great fried chicken every day. The rest is pretty good too.
Hamburger: Your Place Restaurant by Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant (I just felt like throwing that out there.)
Seafood, Fried: The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene, Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant. Bring cash.
Seafood, various styles: Station 22 on Sullivan's Island.
Raw Bar: Shem Creek Bar and Grill
Seafood, worth a try: Bowen's Island Restaurant. I believe they are back in business on the way to Folly Beach. If they are, they are worth a look.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM

28 posts, read 279,618 times
Ribs: Melvin's uses spare ribs, whereas Sticky Fingers uses baby-back, thus Melvin's are meatier. The dry rubbed ribs at Melvin's are very good, but high in sodium. Ray's Barbecue on Coleman Blvd. in Mt. P has very good spare ribs, too. His are unadorned, but there are several tasty house sauces you can try. Melvin's and Ray's also have good vegetables for sides.
I second Gullah Cuisine on the fried chicken. They also make an excellent bread pudding and I like their roast duck.
I can't eat seafood, so I can't contribute to that part of the conversation.
As for a hamburger, Rue de Jean on John Street in downtown Charleston has excellent burgers. They grind their own meat, so you can have a rare burger if you desire. Poe's on Sullivan's Island also has good, home ground burgers available with a variety of toppings.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Those are all right on. I love Melvins.
Gullah Cuisine - be prepared to have to be rolled out.
I would add in Hanks and the Boathouse for seafood.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM

110 posts, read 780,289 times
Oh, Melvins! Thats where I forgot to go. I had heard about this place but didn't even think of it.

We were in Charleston two weeks ago. But if you go into Goose Creek and are looking for a great hamburger, go to Saphires. This is a bar/restaurant. Their burgers are huge and are the best I've ever had.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM

60 posts, read 234,539 times
Thanks everyone! I'm printing this out and will try each one. I can't wait to try the Gullah restaurant!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM

88 posts, read 413,360 times
melvins has good burgers too. also 5 Guys for burgers. Momma Brown's for BBQ.
the last time i dined at Gullah the place was crawling with roaches. i am not trying to start anything but that was our experience. they were up the walls. i will never, ever go back.
Hanks is a great choice, love the crab appetizer!
the best fried shrimp and oysters i've had is at Bowens Island.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Is Your Place still in business?? I heard they closed. Can't go wrong with 5 Guys but it is a big chain. I personally prefer Melvin's for both BBQ and burgers.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,017 times
i like sullivan's fried shrimp and gilligan's for general fried seafood - i know gilligans is kind of corny, but i do really like it. i also like queen anne's revenge on daniel island for most everything.

ribs - melvins like everyone else has said and their french fries are delicious. and you will love gullah.

red's is also good for seafood - they have good fried shrimp too and really good coconut shrimp. their tuna "treat" is good too. the wreck is good but their shrimp are TOO big if there is such a thing and they don't devein very well, it kind of grosses me out. but they have good scallops too. it's a hilarious place so be sure to look it up on here before you go. plasticware, plastic chairs, but no plastic cards (have to take cash), no air, but the food is good and that's why people go.

i could go on....but i'll stop here!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little nell View Post
melvins has good burgers too. also 5 Guys for burgers. Momma Brown's for BBQ.
the last time i dined at Gullah the place was crawling with roaches. i am not trying to start anything but that was our experience. they were up the walls. i will never, ever go back.
Hanks is a great choice, love the crab appetizer!
the best fried shrimp and oysters i've had is at Bowens Island.
I love Momma Brown's!
I've never had that experience at Gullah Cuisine.
Bowen's Island is a good call. If you go there, please understand that it it very "lowcountry" and rustic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area