Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 65,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I'll check it out, I have also spoken a few times with a Prudential realtor. I will ask him about the discounts. Thanks.

Barbara,
How did everything work out with Prudential realtor. I am looking for a good realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Yes this is correct.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I have a senior at SHS, the teachers respond very quickly to emails, and I respond to theirs as well. The school is very large but with the newly built school the population should drop a little over the next few years as they shift more students to the new school. You will always have cliches in schools get over it, it is that way in the snootiest private school all the way down to the worse gehto school.
Thank you that is great news but "Get over it" --not likely.
Cliques she is familiar with and speaks out against. The more diverse the school the more subgroups. She happens to get along with many different individuals from different subgroups. However, if this cliquishness affects learning we have a problem. I do not and WILL not tolerate bullying (heads will roll) or narrow minded faculty in an educational institution.

What I am concerned about is prejudice and segregation that may still be very prevalent in the area and how the school is managing this problem. What are they promoting? We are a conservative republican family and have experienced this from liberal teachers who like to propogate their ideology in the classroom. I have had to confront a few head on.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM

The children segregate them selves and there is nothing that the school or parents can do about it.

Just remember that the nail that sticks up get hammered.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The children segregate them selves and there is nothing that the school or parents can do about it.

Just remember that the nail that sticks up get hammered.

Good point. I like the hammer and nail analogy although, it usually takes a sharp nail to get a job done and unfortunately there are always those hammers.

As long as the adults are promoting cohesiveness and respect for others, by enforcing rules and consequences in the home and on campus this shouldn't be the case. A no nonsense school philosophy is a big deal. Any info on this and how it is being enacted?
Any individual, child or adult who attempts to "hammer" another child in an educational environment should suffer harsh consequences. Is this school safe?

In the school districts that we are coming from the rules are strictly enforced. (i.e., dress code, no touching, etc)
It seems like there would be a lot of good, hospitable kids in Summerville. Some of the areas we have lived, she had to stay low (racial segregation and gangs). The faculty and the oversight makes a HUGE difference in these areas though.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM

There are all kinds at SHS, and yes there was even a shooting there last month, first I have heard of in nearly 20yrs here, but the criminals have been arrested and the rules are enforced.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
Quote:
There are all kinds at SHS, and yes there was even a shooting there last month, first I have heard of in nearly 20yrs here, but the criminals have been arrested and the rules are enforced.
Just to be clear about this. The shooting has nothing to do with the school. It happened on the school grounds behind the school on a Sunday evening. A group met there for a fight and things escalated. The ones arrested don't even attend the school or even live in Summerville for that matter.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
We moved here (Summerville) when my daughter was a sophomore. She never was one that ran with a clique or had a large circle of friends where we lived previously, so I was a little worried about her making friends when we moved here. It turns out that all my worries were unwarranted as she made more friends, (good friends that she still has contact with today 3 years after she graduated) then she ever did anywhere we lived. The kids were very accepting of her here and she wasn't treated as an outcast because no one knew her or she didn't measure up. Kids get picked on for different reasons, that's a fact, it happens and it's not right, but I think you will find that most of the kids around here are pretty accepting of one another and come from involved caring homes.

The school is as safe as any other school can be today in this world we're living in. There is security in place, but they can't see everything, a lot of it depends on the kids coming forward and reporting something they see or hear. Just like anywhere else.

Last edited by scjj; 01-20-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Default Considering teaching in Charleston County

I am a special education teacher and am interviewing here in Michigan on Friday (01/23/09).

What do we need to know about:

1. Housing costs within driving (20 miles) of Charleston County Schools

2. average summer temps and typical weather

3. better schools than some

charleston county web site lists one sped position at Ellington Elementary district 23.

Input please...

THANKS

Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I have a question- why would a senior no longer have any available classes? When I attended and SC public high school in the 90s we had AP English, history (US and western), Calculus, Chemistry, Pysics and Foreign language. Was he not already on the AP track so he couldn't slot in or have they actually dropped the number of available classes? I am shocked English off campus is even an option since I thought that was a requirement- and would just duplicate the AP version. Also would journalism, an art class or soemthing of the like be an option? If we are dropping below the previous offerings heaven help us!!!

I am also baffled that the prinicpal did not want to get a handle on who was bullying immediately. Because nothing would suck like 20 parents going to the district office or News5 to talk about a 'not my problem' administrator. It sounds like the OP has a raw deal the entire way around.

BTW- GPA isn't the be all end all in getting into colleges. Alot of schools really want to even out dempgraphics and see a focused list of extra curricular activities. And while we all downgrade CoC because we are too familiar with it, it has actually seen a big increase in applicants over the last 15 years or so. So out of state slots are actually getting more and more competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area