Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
I eat crow a lot .. I've grown accustomed to it ... but you still never say 'Avoid parts of North Charleston' .. you always say 'Stay away from North Charleston' as if the entirety of the city is a bad place to live.

So no .. no crow or shoe leather for me tonight. Nice try though.
Because it is easier to just lump it all together than to try to sort out the few good areas, the majority of N. Charleston needs a good enema...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
This in and of itself makes my ENTIRE point.

How the heck can you say that my kids do not attend school in North Charleston when you quote it over and over and over again that the schools they attend ARE in North Charleston.
Because those schools are not part of CCSD, the presiding school district for Most of N. Charleston, a district that on average has a less than stellar rating...

The only reason those schools and you have a N. Charleston Address is because good ole Keith Summy has annexed his way into Dorchester County in more than one area, look at the strip of land over on Hwy 61 across the other side of the Ashley River that they annexed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Because it is easier to just lump it all together than to try to sort out the few good areas, the majority of N. Charleston needs a good enema...

Because those schools are not part of CCSD, the presiding school district for Most of N. Charleston, a district that on average has a less than stellar rating...

The only reason those schools and you have a N. Charleston Address is because good ole Keith Summy has annexed his way into Dorchester County in more than one area, look at the strip of land over on Hwy 61 across the other side of the Ashley River that they annexed....
Who gives a dang if they are part of CCSD? They are in NORTH friggin CHARLESTON. Period .. I live in North Charleston. It doesn't matter how you paint it or dance around it .. it IS North Charleston.

As for your annexation excuse .. look at Wescott and their Summerville zip codes.

'nuff said.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
... and a beer and cigar for my not-yet-recognized buddy OTC ... always a good discussion ... and nothing but respect for you

Even if we are at a stale mate on our adamant disagreement about North Charleston.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I have no idea what you guys are talking about (have never been to Charleston), but it's been entertaining! So I'm boiling it down to this: OTC says avoid North Charleston, Bulldog says "No, I live in North Charleston and it's not all bad", bu then OTC says, "That's because you don't really live in NC even though you have an NC address".....right? Yeah, we have that issue where I live too -- there's a kind-of-crappy area near me that is not officially in our borough but has a borough mailing address.

Friend of mine got transferred from Philly to Charleston back in the 90's. He had some hilarious stories about living down there. I remember his saying no one ever used turn signals.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Maybe you have to here more than the 'rumors'. I have a friend who hangs out with cops who tell me Summerville is on the way down, way down..............but you know what....I'm not gonna listen to them. I'm gonna trust my folks here on the board and respect they have made some good choices in where they live.

Get it.....we all hear stuff...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:47 AM

422 posts, read 486,557 times
Quote:

Um, that's how annexation works. It means to expand the city's boundaries to include more territory and as a result the annexed territory is subject of city services, regulation, voting privileges, and taxing authority because now it is part of the city that annexed it. The area you're talking about doesn't stop being North Charleston because it doesn't fit your notion of what North Charleston is.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Um, that's how annexation works. It means to expand the city's boundaries to include more territory and as a result the annexed territory is subject of city services, regulation, voting privileges, and taxing authority because now it is part of the city that annexed it. The area you're talking about doesn't stop being North Charleston because it doesn't fit your notion of what North Charleston is.
So you are telling me that N. Charleston can provide the same services to the piece of land that they annexed West of the Ashley river and in Dorchester county, as they do everywhere else?

There is a point where annexation gets ridiculous....

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM

183 posts, read 356,635 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that N. Charleston can provide the same services to the piece of land that they annexed West of the Ashley river and in Dorchester county, as they do everywhere else?

There is a point where annexation gets ridiculous....
Umm, are you saying that North Charleston municipal government doesn't provide services to the parts of the city in Dorchester County? A third of Ashley Phosphate Rd is in Dorchester County. It's not Hwy Patrol and County sheriffs I always see on that stretch of road.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
Umm, are you saying that North Charleston municipal government doesn't provide services to the parts of the city in Dorchester County? A third of Ashley Phosphate Rd is in Dorchester County. It's not Hwy Patrol and County sheriffs I always see on that stretch of road.
I didn't say Ashley Phosphate road, I said Ashley River Road aka Hwy 61....

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM

183 posts, read 356,635 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that N. Charleston can provide the same services […] in Dorchester county, as they do everywhere else?
I was referencing this part of your quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area