U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Summerville
890 posts, read 2,879,307 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
Here is one link:
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (http://www.bradycampaign.org/issues/gunrisks/riskinhome/ - broken link)

There are others but just google for the others.

I won't ever own a gun but that is my choice. I am more afraid of the people who are carrying them who get ticked off with a driver who wasn't going fast enough. We had one guy do exactly that. He killed a man because he wasn't going fast enough. Watch the news and there will be stories about kids getting a hold of their parents' gun and killing either themselves or another child. Spouses who in the heat of an argument will let it escalate to the point where one will pick up a gun and shoot the other. Yes, there are stories about criminals using guns but there are more stories on the news about deaths from firearms by someone the person knew. There are also suicides that make me wonder if the person didn't have the gun there would they have been so quick to kill themselves. Just my 2 cents. If you want to own a gun fine. Just be responsible about it.
It is legal to carry a gun in your car without a permit in the state of SC, and you would be highly alarmed if you knew how many people actually do it. That is why I tell my kids to never get into a confrontation on the road, just let it go. I read the crime reports and a lot of times when cars are broken into, a gun is listed as one of the items stolen. I think that is why there is so many car break-ins.

Last edited by scjj; 03-29-2009 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 9,157,340 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
Here is one link:
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (http://www.bradycampaign.org/issues/gunrisks/riskinhome/ - broken link)

There are others but just google for the others.

I won't ever own a gun but that is my choice. I am more afraid of the people who are carrying them who get ticked off with a driver who wasn't going fast enough. We had one guy do exactly that. He killed a man because he wasn't going fast enough. Watch the news and there will be stories about kids getting a hold of their parents' gun and killing either themselves or another child. Spouses who in the heat of an argument will let it escalate to the point where one will pick up a gun and shoot the other. Yes, there are stories about criminals using guns but there are more stories on the news about deaths from firearms by someone the person knew. There are also suicides that make me wonder if the person didn't have the gun there would they have been so quick to kill themselves. Just my 2 cents. If you want to own a gun fine. Just be responsible about it.
I hate to use Wikipedia, but it was at the top of the list.

#1 form of suicide is sharp objects, want to ban all knives and razor blades? Firearms are #6 after drowning, suffocation, electricution and defenestration...

Suicide methods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 9,157,340 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
My point is why don't you at least say there are some good areas in North Charleston instead of implying the whole of North Charleston is bad.

What have i done to fix it up ??? .I did not realize it was down to me to fix up the bad area. If anything i am not speaking negatively about it, which is a damn far more than what you are doing .
Yes I have repeatedly stated Kopi Luwac.

Most of N. Charleston is bad...

If as a responcible citizen you and the others who live in N.Charleston didn't just turn a blind eye to the bad parts and instead made an effort to clean them up than maybe N. Charleston wouldn't be #7 on the FBI list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
 
413 posts, read 852,902 times
Reputation: 285
FYI, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source. Anyone can post info on it.

Knives and razors are items people use in their everyday lives. If someone wants to kill themselves they can find a number of methods to do it. such as drinking bleach, taking pills, hanging themselves etc. A gun serves no other purpose but to kill something with. Like I said it is my choice not to have one and your choice own one.

SCJJ, that is what I do. When someone cuts me off I just let them go. You never know what someone will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
 
4,164 posts, read 3,484,163 times
Reputation: 740
Okay -- here's how I would say it -- North Charleston is the area with the most cause for concern. Look carefully when buying there and make sure you do your research.

Having said that -- if you live in North Charleston and are in a good area. Don't get all defensive...just let us know where the good areas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 AM
 
Location: RI
18,949 posts, read 8,798,458 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Yes I have repeatedly stated Kopi Luwac.

Most of N. Charleston is bad...

If as a responcible citizen you and the others who live in N.Charleston didn't just turn a blind eye to the bad parts and instead made an effort to clean them up than maybe N. Charleston wouldn't be #7 on the FBI list...
You are unbloodybelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 2,085,772 times
Reputation: 759
I'll tell you this, North Charleston has some bad spots and some very good ones too.
But to say Summerville only has one is crazy. I rode with Summerville PD for 2 years and its not all cookies and cream in Summerville believe me. There is more than 1 bad area in the ville.

That being said I'd live in Summerville or North Charleston.....just in the right area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 AM
 
416 posts, read 996,095 times
Reputation: 79
but say you live in one of these not so bad or "good" areas of north charleston...how close do you want to be to what would not be considered "good" or safe? it seems strange to me to have these manacured mini communities maybe 1 or 2 miles from an area which would not be considered safe at all. the crime rae in N Chas is so high..it's bound to spill over. i agree N Chas is the area for most concern in terms of choosing a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 2,085,772 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
but say you live in one of these not so bad or "good" areas of north charleston...how close do you want to be to what would not be considered "good" or safe? it seems strange to me to have these manacured mini communities maybe 1 or 2 miles from an area which would not be considered safe at all. the crime rae in N Chas is so high..it's bound to spill over. i agree N Chas is the area for most concern in terms of choosing a place to live.

Listen, every community in the Charleston area has that situation. As much as Mount P or West Ash reseidents refuse to admit it there are bad areas there too. Money doesnt eliminate crime people, so please come out of that fairy tale world. I havent had a single issue with anything crime related in my neighborhood in North Charleston.... mind you I lived in Summerville for 5 years before that and loved it there too. Meanwhile by golf buddy who lives in Mt P has had his car broken into 4 times in 2 years and has been robbed once? Does that mean MtP is worse, HELL NO...it means that all areas have crime and some more than others.

To use your analogy I will say this. My kids go to school with kids from all over, and we teach them certain values. So does the fact that they are "close" to other kids with different values means that will "spill over to them?" NO!, take care of your area and your area will take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
 
413 posts, read 852,902 times
Reputation: 285
It amazes me how people think if they live in a gated or safe area that crime wont' affect them. Guess what they are wrong. I know people who were car jacked in a really upscale area. Criminals have access to cars and the highway. You just have to keep your wits about you and don't act like an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top