U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,942,969 times
Amen... I tell people all the time that we ( the individual ) have created most of our own issues. The being nosey one is a great example, of how kids are not disciplined ( or lack thier of ) at school etc. We used to be neighbors, now we are people who live near each other. Thier is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM

413 posts, read 797,747 times
You know the other day I said hello to one of my neighbors and they looked at me like I was something they stepped in. People don't know their neighbors unless they are someone famous and then they know all about them.

In my day, if I mouthed off like I have heard some kids do to their mothers I wouldn't be here today. I blame the books that said be your kids friend. No, you are the parent, so be a parent and raise your kids grow up to be responsible adults or society will have to deal the them.

Unread 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 18,652 times
if someone that lives in Charleston/Goose Creek area could please take the time to answer a question for me.. I'm looking at places in the area but am from NY so I have to look online (doesnt really tell you much about areas) and I have found an apartment for a VERY reasonable price on apartments.com in Goose Creek. I need to know if this area is "not too great". the apartments are called Spring Hill Apartments they are at 100 Swift Blvd. Goose Creek the zip is 29445. they look beautiful in the pictures. Does anyone know of these apartments and if so what can you tell me about them?? please...

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:08 PM

416 posts, read 925,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Maybe they do at your house, but my kids still know right from wrong, what is acceptable behavior and when not to "follow the crowd" etc. They do learn from other kids but they dont follow them, I guess that is a better way of putting it.

well, my kids are young and not in school...so relax and don't make it personal. i agree that is a better way of putting it. all we can do is teach our children right from wrong and lead by example, instill values and do our best to give them happy lives.... but this does not mean children are not sponges, and as soon as they get older and are around their peers more...even good kids are curious and test the waters and boundries around them. of course we hope they always make the best choices. but they are human, and make mistakes. lets face it, the youth are impressionable....no matter what you surround them with at home, no matter what you teach them.... part of growing up is to experiment and want to fit in with the crowd. i can certainly say i would be more cautious and worried with my kids in school in an area like N Chas...then I would in another area. That said... I would not put them in school there either, lol.

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
well, my kids are young and not in school...so relax and don't make it personal. i agree that is a better way of putting it. all we can do is teach our children right from wrong and lead by example, instill values and do our best to give them happy lives.... but this does not mean children are not sponges, and as soon as they get older and are around their peers more...even good kids are curious and test the waters and boundries around them. of course we hope they always make the best choices. but they are human, and make mistakes. lets face it, the youth are impressionable....no matter what you surround them with at home, no matter what you teach them.... part of growing up is to experiment and want to fit in with the crowd. i can certainly say i would be more cautious and worried with my kids in school in an area like N Chas...then I would in another area. That said... I would not put them in school there either, lol.
I guess you read into what I typed a whole lot more than you should have. There was nothing personal about what I wrote. I wouldnt waste my time making a matter as trivial as this a personal issue with you.

As far as Dorch Dist 2 schools go, the record clearly shows they are some of the best in the state if you pick the right ones. The Coosaw area has some pretty good ones. That being said its probably hard to read the reports about schools if your nose is constantly in the air like most Mount P people so I 100% understand.

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Just a lil tidbit of info....

After submitting Freedom of Information requests to law enforcement agencies in Charleston county, News 2 received hundreds of arrests at schools. Both West Ashley and Wando high had 116 arrests, the highest in the county, both are also the largest. Charleston Progressive Middle School had the lowest among middle schools, three. The majority of elementary schools had no arrests.

Here are other crime numbers at schools in Charleston county: North Charleston High School has 70 arrests; 50 at Burke High; 60 at Morningside Middle; Cario Middle has 58 arrests; and 20 arrests at R.D. Schroeder Middle School.

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:46 PM

416 posts, read 925,578 times
uh..i am not even in MT P, lol.

and we wouldn't be using public schools anywhere in the country, simply cause we believe in holistic/whole child education and not state mandated standards. it was not a personal attack on the charleston area school.. so even public school. simply lifestyle choices we are all free to make. i just wish people on this board could be more respectful or each other. not sure why there is such a nasty undertone to so many threads. live and let live. share ideas and opinions...

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
uh..i am not even in MT P, lol.

and we wouldn't be using public schools anywhere in the country, simply cause we believe in holistic/whole child education and not state mandated standards. it was not a personal attack on the charleston area school.. so even public school. simply lifestyle choices we are all free to make. i just wish people on this board could be more respectful or each other. not sure why there is such a nasty undertone to so many threads. live and let live. share ideas and opinions...

and talk down to people.....

Unread 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,832,450 times
This is reminding me of an on-line "jerry springer" show

Unread 03-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Jerry ...Jerry... Jerry !!!!

I kid...

Group hug for all my charleston folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area