U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
The whole state is pretty much a ghetto outside of Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach.
i live in cayce, right outside of columbia, its NOT ghetto lol. columbia isnt bad either as long as youre not a complete idiot and jump out screaming for someone to shoot you. you have to have common sense anywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 35,764 times
Doesnt see one.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 AM

315 posts, read 290,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Wow, that's laughable....I tell you what, I've never felt threatened or scared anywhere in this state like I was once when I got lost and came into some of the worst hoods in Cleveland, OH...also, go to Camden, NJ, or Gary, IN, or Detroit, then tell me, all of SC is a ghetto....even the bad areas of Charleston aren't as dangerous as the above mentioned places.
SC is almost always the 1st or 2nd most violent state in America in FBI stats. Its just more spread out than the massive metro areas. Like taking a butter knife and spreading the Cleveland ghettos thinly all over the state of SC.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,074,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Really?
That's what I was thinking... I stayed the night in Twin Falls and drove nearby a couple more times on the freeway. Maybe I should hop on over to the Idaho forum for a minute...

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 820 times
yo in05 and 06 north charleston was the most dangerous city in the usa but ppl are right it depends on where u go there i live on james island and i love it there good people and close to the beach

Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM

870 posts, read 896,594 times
Behold the resurrection of the thread!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM

557 posts, read 299,118 times
West Ashley getting pretty bad in the last year or so. Need Greenburg back.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM

959 posts, read 620,889 times
The ghetto / hood is South Area of North Charleston and East Side of Charleston City, Case closed, close the thread. Avoid these 2 areas OP and you are good. Case closed.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,097,088 times
pcamps,

You know, the OP asked where are some good areas to look for an apartment. OTC recommended staying away from N. Charleston. You jumped all over him, basically saying, "Well, if you don't have anything nice to say about N. Charleston then shut up."

I have found OTC to be nothing but helpful on these threads. When my hubby and I visited the low country, we stayed out in Givhans State Park. When we were filling up at a gas station, a nice young black family were also getting gas. My husband and the dad started chatting and you know what he told us? "Stay away from N. Charleston unless you want gangs and drugs around you."

Sounds like good advice for a single woman moving to the area, dontcha think? Why should people have to point out only the "positive" and not mention the negative? That's ridiculous.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 AM

1,067 posts, read 811,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
pcamps,

You know, the OP asked where are some good areas to look for an apartment. OTC recommended staying away from N. Charleston. You jumped all over him, basically saying, "Well, if you don't have anything nice to say about N. Charleston then shut up."

I have found OTC to be nothing but helpful on these threads. When my hubby and I visited the low country, we stayed out in Givhans State Park. When we were filling up at a gas station, a nice young black family were also getting gas. My husband and the dad started chatting and you know what he told us? "Stay away from N. Charleston unless you want gangs and drugs around you."

Sounds like good advice for a single woman moving to the area, dontcha think? Why should people have to point out only the "positive" and not mention the negative? That's ridiculous.
Misinformed much?

North Charleston as a whole is not all GANGS AND DRUGS. I would go so far as to say that those areas of North Charleston and Charleston and West Ashley and James Island and yes, even Mt. Pleasant are much more isolated than they are widespread.

Do not feed the misinformation and do not try to reinforce myths and please do not make such broad stroked statements about something you obviously have no firsthand information about.

OTC is a stand up guy and you are right about that one thing ... he is very helpful on this forum. But even when HE says 'Stay away from North Charleston' ... that is nothing but misinformation and half truths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area