Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,484,865 times

Advertisements

this was an apartment and a crappy apt. at that (right off the main road) and never felt like "my castle". trust me, in this situation, it was better to hide out in a bedroom until he went away. i had the phone on me if it was sounding like he was trying to get in. i didn't want him to know i was in there or attempt to attack the man if he wasn't up to no good. and i didn't want him to know i was there by myself if he was up to no good. i was scared b/c of the area we lived in - not b/c someone knocked on my door. at our condo on james island, i felt perfectly safe and didn't freak out over strangers at the door... haha. i am far from feeling helpless.

anyway my dad always said that if anyone tried to take me, they'd bring me back. haha!

i agree the whole state is not a ghetto. it's beautiful and i miss it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 17,489 times
I moved into West Ashley with my girlfriend a few months ago, we are both college students at the College of Charleston. I live very near Plantation Oaks at Middleton Cove and feel very safe here. My girlfriend and I visited nearly 20 apartment complex's and limited it down to 3, all of which I think would be great choices.
1. Middleton Cove
2. Colonial Village at Westchase
3. Windjammer

We focused on apparent safety/neighbors and overall appearance (maintenence/landscaping/apartment layouts). All three apartments are within 2 miles of each other. I would recommend you steer clear of The Village (2 or 3 different owners, one big complex) as that is an area you wouldn't want to life in. Just remember, (I learned) if it looks like the nice floorplan and lots of space has a price too good to be true, it probably is, and it might not be a desirable place to live... Check out all three of the complex's listed above, I'm sure you'd be pleased and I can vouche fist hand for Middleton Cove

Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 13,635 times
Red face Is charleston a nice and good place to live

My mother and I are looking to move to charleston from Atlanta, but do not know anyone that has lived there, but has heard really good things about the city! Is charleston a good place to live, hows the area, the people, the jobs?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
People are great, from all walks of life and all over the globe.

Love living here, I have lived here for the better part of 20 years.

Job market is a little soft, depends on what you and you mom do.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 30,382 times
I also am planning to move to the Charleston area. Does anyone have the scoop on Goose Creek area or Hanahan area? ive checked out apartments online in the zip codes 29445 and 29410 but cant find and info on the areas. Please help me out.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post
". I hid and was scared to death."

You shouldn't be reduced to hiding. Your home is your castle. Find a professional weapons instructor and learn to shoot. You will probably never need to, but weapons are like fire extinguishers in that when you need one, you REALLY need one. Women are brainwashed into thinking in terms of being helpless, but learning NOT to be helpless will make you a stronger person.
Don't own a gun or EVER draw a weapon unless you are prepared to shoot and kill. I don't know what the laws are in SC but in most states you can't kill someone unless you own life is threatened.

I think a person who would hide in their home because a stranger came to the door would do better with some pepper spray or a guard dog than a gun.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
The whole state is pretty much a ghetto outside of Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach.
Wow, that's laughable....I tell you what, I've never felt threatened or scared anywhere in this state like I was once when I got lost and came into some of the worst hoods in Cleveland, OH...also, go to Camden, NJ, or Gary, IN, or Detroit, then tell me, all of SC is a ghetto....even the bad areas of Charleston aren't as dangerous as the above mentioned places.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Class View Post
Let me give you the real deal, Charleston has sketchy areas all over and you don't have to drive very far in any direction before you find them. But, I think you'll do fine West Ashley. Anywhere that has these zip codes, do your homework/research before you commit to living there: 29403, 29406, 29405. More specifically, lower North Charleston and sections of downtown.
Charleston Class you couldn't have put it any better , you do not have to drive far to be in a Sketchy area , infact i would say Daniel Island is the only nearby area that i would say as no sketchy area

You also have the decency to acknowledge that it's not all of N Charleston that is bad .

Unlike OTC and a few others on here who cannot resist having a swipe at N Charleston at any chance they get.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Excuse me...

I do not make swipes at N. Charleston...

There are bad areas everywhere you go, N. Charleston just has more than all the others in the Low Country, and that you can not deny.

I can list a whole lot more bad areas of N. Charleston than you can good, believe me...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Excuse me...

I do not make swipes at N. Charleston...

There are bad areas everywhere you go, N. Charleston just has more than all the others in the Low Country, and that you can not deny.

I can list a whole lot more bad areas of N. Charleston than you can good, believe me...
True but you seem very slow about mentioning bad areas in other towns in the surrounding areas.

Summerville as at least one notorious bad area . So does West Ashley but it seems strange you never mention it.

What about saying there are good and bad areas in N Chas ? , would not that be a more balanced comment ? .

You had a go at the guy on the Bohemian thread for using a broad brush , but you do the same thing with N Chas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area