Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM

870 posts, read 1,979,471 times

Advertisements

So I've had Comcast for over 3 years now and I have been renting a modem from them the whole time originally at $5 per month and, as of, about 7 or 8 months ago it went up to $7. I have all three services from them (phone, internet, cable).

I'm not overly interested in changing my service to another provider because Knology isn't available at my house and I don't want to downgrade my speed to DSL.

I am literally told a different story by each person I speak to at Comcast. One will tell me that I can go buy a modem at Best Buy and, when I can't find the modem, the next person will say that since I have the phone service, I have to rent the modem. I asked what my monthly bill would be if I dropped the phone service, bought my own modem and just kept internet and TV. I lose my "bundle discount" and the bill is exactly the same...

Comcast was out at my house (again) on Sunday to try to fix my on demand (again...for the umpteenth time in 2 years). The tech said that 3 months ago, they started selling an EMTA (phone) modem at Best Buy made by Motorola but that if I went that route, Comcast techs wouldn't service my modem (gasp and shock!).

I went to Best Buy this morning. Here is a snippet of the conversation I had with the very confused sales guy in the modem aisle.

BB: Can I help you?
Me: I'm looking for a modem that will work with Comcast phone service.
BB: Um...
Me: A tech told me the other day that they started selling one made by Motorola 3 months ago.

He showed me the Motorola modems

BB: There's this one
Me: Is it EMTA?
BB: What?
Me: Does it do phone?
BB: Does it have a phone jack?
Me: Yes, does it have a phone jack?
BB: Uh...No...it has a coax.
Me: Well, it's a Cable modem so....
BB: Oh right...

Needless to say, I didn't get what I was looking for.

Has ANYONE had any luck with this? Anyone know of anywhere I can buy a modem that will run Comcast phone service?

I've tried offering to just buy my modem from Comcast but they won't sell it to me. I can't find a place to buy one locally. The list they have online lists a ton of modems that are impossible to find retail, even on the web. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,254,390 times
Have you had the same modem for 3 years? It might be going out. Maybe you could request a new one.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Have you had the same modem for 3 years? It might be going out. Maybe you could request a new one.

Huh?

I've never had any issues with the modem other than I'm still renting it after 3 years. Speeds are good and everything.

The only major issue I have with the service overall is Video On Demand which comes through the cable box. I've changed out the box several times, rerun cable in the attic myself (using high quality cable), Comcast has replaced the connectors at the wall and the side of the house. The only thing they haven't replaced/repaired is the tap itself. They swear there is enough signal to run 6 houses off the tap but it's the only thing they haven't done anything to and the problem is still happening...

Basically, I'm happy with them. I just hate renting a modem for $60 a year at first and then $84 a year after 2 years when I know the thing cost them maybe $150 to buy and I paid for the installation.

Seems like, since I'm not using their equipment by choice, they should just include the rental in my monthly fee or something. Especially since I have the triple play.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

Huh?

I've never had any issues with the modem other than I'm still renting it after 3 years. Speeds are good and everything.

The only major issue I have with the service overall is Video On Demand which comes through the cable box. I've changed out the box several times, rerun cable in the attic myself (using high quality cable), Comcast has replaced the connectors at the wall and the side of the house. The only thing they haven't replaced/repaired is the tap itself. They swear there is enough signal to run 6 houses off the tap but it's the only thing they haven't done anything to and the problem is still happening...

Basically, I'm happy with them. I just hate renting a modem for $60 a year at first and then $84 a year after 2 years when I know the thing cost them maybe $150 to buy and I paid for the installation.

Seems like, since I'm not using their equipment by choice, they should just include the rental in my monthly fee or something. Especially since I have the triple play.

I'm confused too... we have one box that controls everything... I guess your service is different?

Edit: we have the one main box, plus a wireless router we bought, plus a cable box for the tv. Which modem are you talking about renting?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM

I have cable, internet and phone.

There is a cable box which comes with a remote and connects to the TV. I have to rent this but was somehow able to get them to waive it (don't ask, I forgot how that happened).

There is also a modem I rent from them and I provide my own wireless router. I have to use THEIR modem because I have THEIR phone service. If I didn't, then any old modem/router would do but since I have the audacity to use their phone service as well, I am forced to use their equipment.

I've actually got two Comcast boxes in the house one is for the TV the other is for the internet/phone.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Does this help?

Amazon.com: Comcast Approved Cable Modems

Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Check this comment out from the first product

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
58 of 60 people found the following review helpful
Warning: Does not work with comcast July 16, 2011
By Mike
Amazon Verified Purchase
I purchased this voice modem to avoid paying the $7 per month lease fee to comcast.

Unfortunately, comcast will not activate these modems. I advise against anyone purchasing this modem if your attempt is to use it for comcast voice service.

Despite information posted on their website, and information provided on the phone by several representatives, as it turns out, the only voice/phone modem for purchase that works with comcast (as of writing this review) is the Arris MT722G.

In addition, comcast will not activate the voice modem except those purchased at special best buy comcast locations. And comcast will not activate used modems.

Not all best buy locations work. Here is a list from the manufacturer of the modem:

[...]

The cost is $150! And when I called the Dublin Best Buy location, I was told that they are sold out at all locations for over a month, and to call back in a week or two...

Apparently comcast makes it very, very hard to avoid paying the $7 per month lease fee on phone modems.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Help is a relative term. It doesn't solve the problem but it does provide helpful information. Thanks.

Not sure why they are so attached to the $7 a month fee.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,666,781 times
Have you tried calling them and asking if they will waive the fee since you are a long term customer? The worst they can do is say no, but I am always amazed at all the fees my husband gets waived just by asking.
It usually takes patience and speaking to a supervisor.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Have you tried calling them and asking if they will waive the fee since you are a long term customer? The worst they can do is say no, but I am always amazed at all the fees my husband gets waived just by asking.
It usually takes patience and speaking to a supervisor.
Trust me, I've spoken to just about everyone I can speak to. CSR's, Supervisors, Retention people, etc. I even emailed the we can help email address and they said the best they could do was look into it. I haven't heard anything back yet.

It just seems like such a waste of money to perpetually rent a modem. It also seems like a scam on the part of Comcast to force customers to rent one when they don't offer the option of buying one instead.

Believe me, if they said that, at any time for $250 or whatever, I could own the modem outright but I had to pay it all at once (no monthly payments), they wouldn't hear a word out of me about the rental fee. If they had modems available at Best Buy like they claim to, they wouldn't hear a word out of me about the rental. The problem is that they don't have any option for me to get my own modem and then they don't give at all on the rental fee.

It's infuriating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area