Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 18,514 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and there are some bad areas down here. I am moving somewhere in Charleston, South Carolina and I'm trying to pick an apartment in an okay area. Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw one apartment on Ashley Road. Does anyone know that area? I am an 18 year old female. I dont want to go anywhere I will be put in to danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,268,576 times
Go to apartmentfinder.com and Realtor.com they will show you what the appartments look like. Stay away from N. Charleston, Summerville is pretty good, Ashley River Rd is usually pretty good too.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,040,679 times
Most areas of West Ashley (Ashley River Rd) are safe and fine. James Island/Folly Beach might even be better choices (close-in to downtown). Depending on your budget, downtown or Mt. Pleasant aren't bad options either, esp. for someone your age.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:45 PM

135 posts, read 524,037 times
Let me give you the real deal, Charleston has sketchy areas all over and you don't have to drive very far in any direction before you find them. But, I think you'll do fine West Ashley. Anywhere that has these zip codes, do your homework/research before you commit to living there: 29403, 29406, 29405. More specifically, lower North Charleston and sections of downtown.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,472,333 times
Honestly, I didn't feel that safe in West Ashley. We lived in Plantation Oaks and I felt safe enough w/ my husband there, but would NOT feel safe there by myself. Before I got a job, I had to stay at home during the day by myself and one day a man came and randomly knocked on my door. I hid and was scared to death. He looked like he was up to no good. However, we weren't in the nicest apt. complex and we were right on the road. It was just terrible. Don't recommend that.

So, while I wouldn't personally feel safe anywhere in West Ashley b/c of my experiences there and I just don't like that side of town (a little sketchy, very congested, doesn't feel like Charleston to me, etc.), but I think if you lived in one of the nicer (more expensive) apt. complexes off Ashley River Road (but not too close to the mall), then you would be fine. The two right before the bridge on Ashley River Road, Colonial Grand at Quarterdeck and the one across the street from it are alright, but honestly if you can spend $800 on an apartment or even $700, I would live in Mt. Pleasant or James Island. There's Colonial Grand apartments on James Island, Riverland Woods apartments, and some others too. Then in Mt. Pleasant there are a ton of apartments. You will feel safer in these areas (in my opinion).

Good luck!

Last edited by fisher33; 09-13-2008 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-13-2008, 03:56 AM

355 posts, read 1,445,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
Honestly, I didn't feel that safe in West Ashley. We lived in Plantation Oaks and I felt safe enough w/ my husband there, but would NOT feel safe there by myself. Before I got a job, I had to stay at home during the day by myself and one day a man came and randomly knocked on my door. I hid and was scared to death. He looked like he was up to no good!
No offense, but where are you from?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:45 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,472,333 times
haha, i'm originally from upstate sc (near clemson), but we lived in charleston for 2 years and i have been visiting charleston almost every weekend for about 5 years w/ my parents prior to that.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM

83 posts, read 275,285 times
". I hid and was scared to death."

You shouldn't be reduced to hiding. Your home is your castle. Find a professional weapons instructor and learn to shoot. You will probably never need to, but weapons are like fire extinguishers in that when you need one, you REALLY need one. Women are brainwashed into thinking in terms of being helpless, but learning NOT to be helpless will make you a stronger person.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM

142 posts, read 405,201 times
The whole state is pretty much a ghetto outside of Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
The whole state is pretty much a ghetto outside of Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach.
The *whole* state..honestly! I've lived in Greenville, SC for the past 20 years coming from Boston. I definitely do not live in a ghetto. I visit the Charleston area frequently and definitely not a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area