Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times

Advertisements

I am glad to see Bessingers is not overly popular.

I used to pray that it would go national, then Krispy Kreme did, and obviously changed....something, because their present donuts are like lead sinkers vs the old ones; afraid that would happen to Bessingers, also.

FYI, when I was younger (and crazier), I once convinced my wife to roadtrip with me some 1,124 miles, just to have a Big Joe Beef Bar-B-que basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
I went to Bessingers in West Ashley not that long ago and thought it was good. I didn't think it was grubby and dirty at all-- but Melvins is more convenient for me. The disadvantage of Melvins is that they only have their hickory sauce inside on the tables (not in the kitchen) whereas the standard sauce Bessingers uses is A hickory sauce. So at Melvins, if you want Hickory flavor and you are ordering take-out, you must ask for an empty container and take some of the hickory sauce from the tables before you leave.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,066,312 times
Charleston needs a Smokey Bones...it's like the Hooters of BBQ joints!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
There's a Smokey Bones in North Charleston, if I recall.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,066,312 times
DJ, you're absolutely correct...it's on Rivers Ave. Funny I haven't heard a word about it. Besides the natural beauty, I thought they (the one I ate at in Texas) had pretty good BBQ.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 AM

110 posts, read 780,335 times
Default Bessingers

When we were visiting my daughter last month, we went to Bessingers located in Goose Creek on College Blvd, I believe. It was a small restaurant; not real crowded and seemed to be mostly locals there. I thought the food was really good.

My favorite still remains Jim & Nicks.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
There are two good BBQ places on Johns Island: JB's Smokeshack and Hickory Hawg - both are family-run and on Maybank Hwy.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I'm sure Bessinger's serves good food, but how do the locals feel about it? Are they a local hot spot or more of a tourist magnet?

Do they have the West Ashley/Savannah Hwy market sewn up...or would that same stretch of highway be able to support a competitive bbq joint? Not anything really comparable to Bessinger's, but just a simple take-out/drive thru place. Basics only...3-4 meats and the same amount of sides.

Thanks for the local knowlege.

Jay
There is always room for more BBQ if it's good. Any real BBQ lover will give you a fair shot.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I went to Bessingers in West Ashley not that long ago and thought it was good. I didn't think it was grubby and dirty at all-- but Melvins is more convenient for me. The disadvantage of Melvins is that they only have their hickory sauce inside on the tables (not in the kitchen) whereas the standard sauce Bessingers uses is A hickory sauce. So at Melvins, if you want Hickory flavor and you are ordering take-out, you must ask for an empty container and take some of the hickory sauce from the tables before you leave.

Are you saying there is no wood flavor in the meat w/o the sauce on it? I've never eaten at either place so I don't know. The way you said it makes it sound like the meat itself isn't smoked.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jay

Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Are you saying there is no wood flavor in the meat w/o the sauce on it? I've never eaten at either place so I don't know. The way you said it makes it sound like the meat itself isn't smoked.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jay
They do smoke it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area