Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 83,234 times

Advertisements

We currently live in cincinnati ohio and want to transfer to Charelston. But my husband's pay scale is based upon the cost of living and he would take a 8 dollar an hour paycut. But from what I can tell the cost of living is more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,491 times
The cost of living here is the same if not higher than it was for me in Southern California.

I haven't been here a full year and haven't bought a house yet, though I know that taxes and home prices are obviously lower.

Not cheap, this I can tell you. Are you looking for specific numbers of bills?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,406 times
I would be qualified to help answer your question, but I would need more information - such as what the current market in OH is like now, what you would be interested in spending on a home I would then be able to let you know what you can expect for that price, and taxes are definitely less than west coast or northeasat - but once again I don't know OH - for instance, $350,000 expect to pay about $1,000/year in taxes and $2500/year in property insurance (these are estimates, costs vary slightly depending on which AREA you choose to live). I don't know what your DH does for a living, but you may be able to tell what the average salary is in this area by going to monster.com salary charts.....hope that gives you some idea and benchmark!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileigh32 View Post
We currently live in cincinnati ohio and want to transfer to Charelston. But my husband's pay scale is based upon the cost of living and he would take a 8 dollar an hour paycut. But from what I can tell the cost of living is more?

Is your husband in a union?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM

28 posts, read 83,234 times
Yes my husband is in a Union for Sheet metal. We don't really want to buy a house for at least a year, because we don't really know the area and just want to get a feel for it first. But we have been looking for apartments and they seem to mostly be in the $1000 ranges and that is way out of our price range. We want to do $600-$800 in rent Taxes would deffinately be less for us because we pay taxes on 3 lots now. All of the cost comparision calculators I can find on the internet say the cost of living is a lot higher than Cincinnati. We would be moving completely away from any family so it's scary and we want to make the right SAFE Choice.
Thanks

Also I was just searching the MLS and we found a nice condo in North Charleston on Rolling Rock Fork Rd, does anyone know if this area is nice?

Last edited by haileigh32; 09-21-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM

142 posts, read 406,503 times
Cost of living in SC is higher than it is up north in PA, and OH. Dont move there....youll be broke. You make less money, and cost of living is higher. SC is a right to work state (slave state).

I was stuck there for a year, and let me tell you there isent one good thing i can say about it.

Im a steelworker...if your husbands union he will hate it. The south is anti-union, and anti working rights.

Also SC has very high crime, the whole state is like one large ghetto. Its very poor, and there education is a joke. Schools rank 49th out of 50th, highest number of teen pregnacys in the country, 52 percent hs dropout rating, bad drug problem, and its not just in certain areas its everywere. I would never send my kids to school there. Take my advice, if you have any questions feel free to email me... i will back up everything i say with facts. Also get used to being the only car in the drive thru and waiting 20 minutes to get your food, very very slow, theres no social classes down there youll have a million dollar house, and a 20 thousand dollar trailer with old rusted cars parked in front right next door. Its not like up north at all...its a very poor uneducated state. People make a big deal about the "history" to be honest cinci prob. has more history than charleston..only difference is they make a huge deal about it down there. The beaches arent that great, and yea you said your husband is union so i can tell you right now he will hate it there. It will be total culture shock for you. Oh and you have the uneducated rednecks everywere running wild, and yes a good bit of people are still upset about losing the war and you will be called yankee a lot. I made a huge mistake and a costly mistake moving there, i didnt do my research and didnt know what it was like. Of course people from there are going to tell you how wonderful there city is...but its really not. I can also tell you since you have a child....dont put your child through there schooling system...i really feel bad for kids who are stuck going to school down there. I know a few people still stuck there who are trying to get back up north before there young ones start school.

Also North Charleston has the 4th highest crime rate in america...very very bad. I lived in Summerville a "nice suburb" and i heard gunshots all the time, drug dealers lived next to me, crackhouse on my street, and lots of crime. I lived in a luxury complex that cost 1200 dollars a month to live in...what a waste of money.

Last edited by Steelers115; 09-21-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
Cost of living in SC is higher than it is up north in PA, and OH. Dont move there....youll be broke. You make less money, and cost of living is higher. SC is a right to work state (slave state).

I was stuck there for a year, and let me tell you there isent one good thing i can say about it.

Im a steelworker...if your husbands union he will hate it. The south is anti-union, and anti working rights.

Also SC has very high crime, the whole state is like one large ghetto. Its very poor, and there education is a joke. Schools rank 49th out of 50th, highest number of teen pregnacys in the country, 52 percent hs dropout rating, bad drug problem, and its not just in certain areas its everywere. I would never send my kids to school there. Take my advice, if you have any questions feel free to email me... i will back up everything i say with facts. Also get used to being the only car in the drive thru and waiting 20 minutes to get your food, very very slow, theres no social classes down there youll have a million dollar house, and a 20 thousand dollar trailer with old rusted cars parked in front right next door. Its not like up north at all...its a very poor uneducated state. People make a big deal about the "history" to be honest cinci prob. has more history than charleston..only difference is they make a huge deal about it down there. The beaches arent that great, and yea you said your husband is union so i can tell you right now he will hate it there. It will be total culture shock for you. Oh and you have the uneducated rednecks everywere running wild, and yes a good bit of people are still upset about losing the war and you will be called yankee a lot. I made a huge mistake and a costly mistake moving there, i didnt do my research and didnt know what it was like. Of course people from there are going to tell you how wonderful there city is...but its really not. I can also tell you since you have a child....dont put your child through there schooling system...i really feel bad for kids who are stuck going to school down there. I know a few people still stuck there who are trying to get back up north before there young ones start school.

Also North Charleston has the 4th highest crime rate in america...very very bad. I lived in Summerville a "nice suburb" and i heard gunshots all the time, drug dealers lived next to me, crackhouse on my street, and lots of crime. I lived in a luxury complex that cost 1200 dollars a month to live in...what a waste of money.
LMAO! This post really cracks me up..no pun intended!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Glad it cracks you up, those are all stats. and i was stuck there for over a year so i know first hand.

Maybe if more people would listen instead of giving the usual answer of
"Sh*t bo if yall dont like are ways den ders 2 lanes goin north on 95 yankee" you wouldnt have as many problems. That area has so many problems that are not normal anywere else outside the south. Im not trying to insult you, but i am trying to give someone an honest answer before they make a bad decision like i did.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
Glad it cracks you up, those are all stats. and i was stuck there for over a year so i know first hand.

Maybe if more people would listen instead of giving the usual answer of
"Sh*t bo if yall dont like are ways den ders 2 lanes goin north on 95 yankee" you wouldnt have as many problems. That area has so many problems that are not normal anywere else outside the south. Im not trying to insult you, but i am trying to give someone an honest answer before they make a bad decision like i did.

I think you exaggerated just a little bit due to your passionate views. That's all.

I used to live in PA at one time and now live in Summerville and I've had a different experience than yours. I love it here.

But I agree that there is a definite difference in culture that needs to be recognized.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
I think you exaggerated just a little bit due to your passionate views. That's all.

I used to live in PA at one time and now live in Summerville and I've had a different experience than yours. I love it here.

But I agree that there is a definite difference in culture that needs to be recognized.

It also depends on what you do for a living. Me i have done construction, and worked in steel mills...so needless to say construction is all done by illegals, and factorys down there pay very very low wages and arent union. For what her husband does for a living, i dont think it would be a smart choice. Also the fact that she has kids... i dont think it would be a good idea to put them in schools down there.

If you are retired and your kids are grown...it might be a nice place to live (minus the trailer park trash thats EVERYWERE).

Also i didnt exaggerate anything. Everything i said was from personal experience. All the other things like education, jobs, and crime rates are all facts... you can research any of that and you will see. I understand if someone likes were they live but they also cant deny facts.

Last edited by Steelers115; 09-21-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area