Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times

Advertisements

Myers Mill is all the way out in Knightsville tucked away in what is still a pretty much rural area. It's no where near the bad parts of North Charleston. The negative posts on that other thread are grossly exaggerated to the hilt. If you take the time to do a little investigating (which took me 30 seconds on Google) you will find that some people create their own misery and then like to blame others for it or in this case an entire town and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM

23 posts, read 59,511 times
Default Thanks

Hi folks,

I think I read way too many of the threads. It scared me off. What I thought I would like about Mount Pleasant is it's proximity to the ocean. I then read you can't get to public beach and waterways easy because of the McMansions. The hurricane insurance was then revealed as a hefty burden. I live very close to the ocean now but do not pay hurricane or flood insurance because I am at a high elevation. I'd love to live in a small town environment, but not isolate myself or my mother who, although is 82, and not exactly heart healthy, likes to do her senior citizen social thing. Gosh, she is more social than I am.

My neighbors here are my best friends. I have heard the south can also be like that. The weather here is harsh..very harsh, in the winter. Too much for mother, and I can not tolerate it as well. I am hoping to find a social neighborhood where neighbor keeps an eye out for the other neighbor. I guess we all have our own interpretations of high crime areas. Maybe once a year, you might hear of a break-in into a home in my current neighborhood. All my neighbors have exchanged household keys so that if there is an emergency or a dog needs to be fed, traffic ties up a parent, we watch the child, etc. It sounds like I live in Mayberry. I do and will miss it, but not the cold and the cost of living.

Northerners have a reputation of being stand-offish, and southerners are known to be warm and friendly. I think that is stereo-typing, but I am hoping for a nice neighborhood like the one I live in, in RI. That may be a tall order. I am also hoping for the stereo-typical southern hospitality that will make me feel welcomed.

I would love to finish my "Fine Arts degree", so a college nearby would be excellent. Hopefully, I can beat this illness an eventually teach. It will take sometime, but am forecasting a healthier future.

All of this seems like a tall order. What do you think? Oh yeah I am single, but too sick right now to care. Maybe someday I would be up to socializing again

Am I dreaming or can this happen in the Charleston/MT Pleasant area?

Thanks again for your replies and all suggestions are welcomed.

Ann

Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artzeeann View Post
Hi folks,

I think I read way too many of the threads. It scared me off. What I thought I would like about Mount Pleasant is it's proximity to the ocean. I then read you can't get to public beach and waterways easy because of the McMansions. The hurricane insurance was then revealed as a hefty burden. I live very close to the ocean now but do not pay hurricane or flood insurance because I am at a high elevation. I'd love to live in a small town environment, but not isolate myself or my mother who, although is 82, and not exactly heart healthy, likes to do her senior citizen social thing. Gosh, she is more social than I am.

My neighbors here are my best friends. I have heard the south can also be like that. The weather here is harsh..very harsh, in the winter. Too much for mother, and I can not tolerate it as well. I am hoping to find a social neighborhood where neighbor keeps an eye out for the other neighbor. I guess we all have our own interpretations of high crime areas. Maybe once a year, you might hear of a break-in into a home in my current neighborhood. All my neighbors have exchanged household keys so that if there is an emergency or a dog needs to be fed, traffic ties up a parent, we watch the child, etc. It sounds like I live in Mayberry. I do and will miss it, but not the cold and the cost of living.

Northerners have a reputation of being stand-offish, and southerners are known to be warm and friendly. I think that is stereo-typing, but I am hoping for a nice neighborhood like the one I live in, in RI. That may be a tall order. I am also hoping for the stereo-typical southern hospitality that will make me feel welcomed.

I would love to finish my "Fine Arts degree", so a college nearby would be excellent. Hopefully, I can beat this illness an eventually teach. It will take sometime, but am forecasting a healthier future.

All of this seems like a tall order. What do you think? Oh yeah I am single, but too sick right now to care. Maybe someday I would be up to socializing again

Am I dreaming or can this happen in the Charleston/MT Pleasant area?

Thanks again for your replies and all suggestions are welcomed.

Ann
You will be fine in Mt. Pleasant. I have family and friends there that share the same realtionship with neighbors that you describe. I live on James Island and also have that.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that you can't get to the beach. Hundreds manage to do it every day. The person that posted that must have thought the only path was through a specific living room. There are public access paths everywhere up and down the beach.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
Default I think you'll like SC

We all have our own opinions -- and that's just what they are opinions. My husband has lived in Summerville for almost a year now, the kids and I arrived this summer, but visited a lot since last Fall.

Yes I may have some issues with the High School here, and will totally agree with other posts, that Summerville has some seedy areas, I do not feel that Summerville is not safe. Mt. Pleasant, while I've only visited there -- have heard it's even nicer than Summerville - but again those are opinions. My husband's peer at work recently also moved here -- they moved to Mt. Pleasant from the Midwest (another affluent area), and I understand his wife visits the beach daily and loves it there.

Yes we had some culture shock -- but we came from a VERY affluent area, small town, almost no crime, kids driving new cars to school -- you get the idea (not our kids, but other kids). Anyway my point is, we all feel safe here, and my son even has a job, and gets home late at night. He attends Trident College two nights a week, I worry more about him driving the back roads at night, than getting mugged.

We started off in the same apartments that the other poster was referring to, and also felt safe there. We had a few incidents, but nothing to the degree of not feeling safe, and again my son worked nights, and arrived home late at night.

Now that we're in a rental house, I was a bit overwhelmed with how friendly the neighbors are here. I have to agree with some of the stereotypes -- since I didn't even know all my neighbors names in MI, and now know personal details of my new neighbors, but bottom line is they're good people, and I'm glad they feel comfortable with us enough to confide in us -- I've already babysat their children, and only been here a month! At least in this subdivision -- they DEFINITELY look out for each other, one neighbor was cleaning this house (for the owner), while another mowed the lawn, while trying to help rent it for the owner.

Okay enough -- while I may understand some of what the other poster was saying, I can assure you I would not be living in an area if I did not feel safe. Yes we've had a bit of a culture shock, but I don't think that's always a bad thing -- I think some of what my kids are experiencing is a good thing.

Everyone has an opinion, and sadly most of us think our opinion is the right opinion. Do your own research and make your own decision based on what you find. For what it's worth -- this Midwestern feels safe in Summerville, and I would imagine Mt. Pleasant is the same if not better.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Bravo.......

Well said.....

Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,010 times
I am a local cop here and have lived here all my life 30+ years. Email me at wehatetillman@yahoo.com

Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,385 times
I don't agree that the vast majority of crime is in crime-ridden neighborhoods. Do a search of topics through the online edition of the local newspaper, look at crime stats (through crimeweb.net and other soures) and determine if the level of crime here is palatable. The house I am renting was robbed before I moved into it. My neighbors car was broken into. A house at the beginning of my neighborhood was broken in to and robbed several times. (side note: I live in a regular middle-class neighborhood - not the "ghetto"). An elderly man was bound and gagged in his own home; an elderly women was raped; some man pretended to be a golf care professional and robbed a woman; gypsies intermittantly prey on 'rich' locals; tourists (and others) are occasionally robbed - sometimes at gun point, store clerks held up at gun point ... etc. Don't buy what you're reading unless it's from a valid, reputable source. We all have our opinions and often have sketchy memories. I tire of the news stories about the seemingly rampant crime. It's too close to my neighborhood for my comfort.

Maybe you could visit several different areas to get a feel for them - housing prices, crime, insurance prices, etc. to see what best suits your needs and those your elderly mother.

I wish you well.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:56 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
I don't agree that the vast majority of crime is in crime-ridden neighborhoods. The house I am renting was robbed before I moved into it. My neighbors car was broken into. A house at the beginning of my neighborhood was broken in to and robbed several times. (side note: I live in a regular middle-class neighborhood - not the "ghetto"). An elderly man was bound and gagged in his own home; an elderly women was raped; some man pretended to be a golf care professional and robbed a woman; gypsies intermittantly prey on 'rich' locals; tourists (and others) are occasionally robbed - sometimes at gun point, store clerks held up at gun point ... etc. I wish you well.

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one. What regular middle-class neighborhood are you in exactly?
jim

Old 09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
The house I am renting was robbed before I moved into it. My neighbors car was broken into. A house at the beginning of my neighborhood was broken in to and robbed several times. (side note: I live in a regular middle-class neighborhood - not the "ghetto").
I wanted to clarify ... the above incidents happened in my neighborhood. and not all incidents occurred recently, but they did happen. I am certain that I house I am renting was robbed. The landlord left the police paperwork in the cabinet. A house in the beginning of the neighborhood was purportedly robbed several times. I heard that from a couple of different neighbors, but didn't see the police enter the neighborhood to take a police report.

Another incident that did happen in my neighborhood earlier this year - someone's truck tool box was broken into and purportedly $2000 worth of tools were stolen. I saw the police in the neighborhood the day following the incident and verified the incident with the neighbor.

This IS a regular, middle class cookie cutter, middle of the road, neighborhood on James Island. It's NOT in the sketchy section of James Island.

These incidents refer to news stories I either read in the Post and Courier or heard on TV:

*An elderly man was bound and gagged in his own home - happened somewhere in the 'rich' Country Club I or II section of James Island. This happened either earlier this year or late last year.

*an elderly women was raped - I don't remember where on James Island that happened, but believe it did happen on James Island sometime this year or last.

*some man pretended to be a golf care professional and robbed a woman - this happened in Shadowmoss Plantation. Saw the info both on TV and in the P&C.

*gypsies intermittently prey on 'rich' locals - received notice from crime prevention / community relations regarding the "Silver burglaries". Two homes were victimized in the Wappoo Heights Neighborhood, between South Windermere and the Wappoo Cut Bridge sometime before September 1st of this year.

* tourists (and others) are occasionally robbed - sometimes at gun point, store clerks held up at gun point - I believe these occurred in downtown Charleston sometime this summer, though I don't recall exactly which part of downtown.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
OK, could all be true. Never answered my question though. Where do you live?

"'Purportedly Robbed";
"I heard that from a couple of different neighbors"
"someone's truck tool box was broken into and purportedly"
"These incidents refer to news stories I either read in the Post and Courier or heard on TV"

I stand by my prior post so far.
I'll let the others decide.
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area