U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,438,209 times

Advertisements

The Charleston tri-county area has seen a large number of new subdivisions spring up in the past 10 years. Many of these communities offer “tract” and custom homes in different price ranges, most of which have been mentioned and recommended on this forum. However, there are many forum members and readers who may be considering relocating to the Charleston area and would prefer a home in a more traditional neighborhood. There are many. One of my favorites is the Old Village of Mt. Pleasant located just minutes from the Charleston Historic District and the Sullivan’s Island Beach. As I have received favorable feedback and encouragement from forum members to post more photos of the area, here are a few of the Old Village as well as a link to a slide show of some representative homes and streets in this historic area. I look forward to other forum members posting photos of areas of potential interest to out of town families and individuals, in order to make this forum informative through not only discussions, observations and personal opinions but also visually.
Here are a few photos with a link to

a slide show below

Photo Slide Show Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,687,067 times
The Village is an area for those with bucks; kind of like an unknown (by the media, anyway) Battery.
And while I know it, I don't consider it a "neighborhood" for the masses, but rather a place to live if you're a doctor, or someone in another six-figure income profession.

But for real people, here are my faves (and please note most are on the way to either being gentrified, or else demolished when the day comes to make mini-freeways out of Savannah Highway, etc):

East and West Oak Forest.

Rotherwood.

Edgewater Park.

Cooper Estates.

Secessionville.

South Windermere.

Folly Beach, although sadly it's about been turned into another Isle of Palms.

Probably a few I'm forgetting.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:43 PM

If those who live in the Old Village are not "real people" because of the cost of the homes in that area we certainly want to include Folly Beach as the price per square foot for a home on Folly Beach will be as much if not more than in the Old Village. Cooper Estates certainly is an nice older neighborhood that one might want to consider if looking for a traditional neighborhood. I don't have any photos available of Cooper Estates, but it is adjacent to The Groves. Some photos of The Groves neighborhood in Mt. Pleasant.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,687,067 times
I'm not talking the mcmansions on Folly, but those grubby little places that still exist.
Admittedly, fewer in number each year, until the next hurricane.

Groves is "traditional"; that I agree.
But then it's upper class traditional-like Cooper Estates.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 AM

I'm also am not talking about any" mcmansions" on Folly. The 10 least expensive and smallest single family homes on Folly on the market or that have sold recently are priced or sold for an average of $433 a foot. A grubby little place on Folly is still going to cost as much if not more than a small grubby place in the Old Village area. When I asked for recommendations of some favorite "traditional"neighborhoods, I was not suggesting that anyone eliminate a neighborhood in an "upper class" neighborhood. The majority of residents of The Groves are "real" people like most of us. For those not familiar with The Groves or Cooper Estates, the average price per square foot for homes in both communities that sold recently was about $180. Higher than many other communities, but apparently worth the premium to many because of their charm, location and excellent neighborhood schools.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM

356 posts, read 648,465 times
Well I would suggest perhaps Snee Farm - it is older, traditional IMOP the sense that it is not "cookie cutter" and each home has a distinct character, but sometimes a hit or miss depending on how well maintained the home is. The location is certainly fantastic, the golf club needs MAJOR updating, but it is a nice neighborhood, particularily Chersonese Round has some drop dead gorgeous homes!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Snee Farm is a nice older Mt. Pleasant community. It was one of the first subdivisions in Mt. Pleasant. It can not be compared to the Old Village or "Old Mt. Pleasant", however is a good option for someone looking for an older established community close to the Isle of Palms Beach and relatively close to the Charleston Historic District. Here are a few photos taken late last Fall

Entrance to Snee Farm

Snee Farm Neighborhood

Snee Farm Club House

Snee Farm Tennis

Snee Farm Pool

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 31,183 times
Do you have any more pictures of Snee Farm or info/links to where I can find it?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM

The Snee Farm Country Club Web Site

However, it appears to be down at the present time. I am not aware whether they have a community web site.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Here is an aerial View of Snee Farm that might be of help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area