Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times

Advertisements

I am talking about the presidential debates, each of you support the opposite canidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Back to the original question....Yes, Charleston is considered to be part of the Bible Belt.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 AM

28 posts, read 279,618 times
Charleston also has a mosque, several synagogues, a zen buddhist as well as other various buddhist groups, a wiccan group, a metaphysical church, and we even have our own resident Tibetan monk. There are many paths to finding one's way to God, source, enlightenment, peace and the Charleston community seems to be quite accepting of them.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Is the Pope Catholic? "The Bible Belt" is made up of the people who live there. Charleston has a large population "from off", so it's not the same "bible belt" it was 30 years ago, I'm sure, but you'll still see plenty of things closed on Sundays, Church is a very large part of Charleston society, etc.
I agree with this post. It's like that almost everywhere in SC.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
From a traditional standpoint, the division in SC has always been the "Whiskeypalians" in Charleston (and somewhat less, the Lowcountry in general) and the Baptists (Deepwater and Washfoot) in the interior- especially the Upcountry.

With the massive invasion of exotics over the past 40(+) years, that dynamic has changed somewhat, but understand that religion, race, and politics have had incestious relationships in the South. And "The Holy City" is no exception.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepeaceinsc View Post
Charleston also has a mosque, several synagogues, a zen buddhist as well as other various buddhist groups, a wiccan group, a metaphysical church, and we even have our own resident Tibetan monk. There are many paths to finding one's way to God, source, enlightenment, peace and the Charleston community seems to be quite accepting of them.
That is GOOD to hear.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM

97 posts, read 260,972 times
Quote:
There is a Wiccan Group in Charleston?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 AM

28 posts, read 279,618 times
Yes - actually more than one. (You can google Charleston, SC wiccan and you'll find several)

Old 11-22-2008, 11:18 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
Default As is most places

Quote:

As is most places now.. you will find the above

My wife and I want to move South 200/2010 from NYC, below the Mason-Dixon line..
Always wanted to move South... friendlier people, calmer atmostphere etc.

We want to leave the 'Big' City and live in a quieter, slower pace environment... and will not miss NYC at all.

I lived in Upstate NY for 12 years so this will not be culture shock being away from NYC

We would seek a synagogue to join when moving there and know we can find synagogues almost anywhere in the US.

We are not religious... I am Jewish actually, my wife is not.. she was brought up in a Muslim household (in Turkey) ... but simpyl believes in God and wants my religion in the household and for our 1 month old newborn son.

I seek diversity in communities and hope to find it in Charleston.

We are looking in FLA,, specifically the Treasure Coast area... east of Orlando and down a bit...

My neice lives and loves NC, Raleigh.. but it holds no interest for us,, we would like to live near the ocean and became interested in SC and specifically Charleston.

Any feedback from people on SC and Charleston, please comment back and direct if you like.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,821 times
Well, I just landed from someplace very far away and I wont tone down my CHRIST-ian beliefs over any real or imagined stereotyping/prejudice. It is a part of me as Jesus is the center and Lord of my life but then I am just one individual in a bigger pot of stew. Maybe the stew needs a little salt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: