Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM

27 posts, read 76,959 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
I am new to this forum so please bear with me if these questions have been answered. My wife and I are in our late 20s and I am being recruited for an engineering job in the downtown Charleston area. I have a few questions as I know nothing about the area.

1. Is it possible to own a condo or home near downtown for 180K or less? We may rent 1st so we can get familiar with the area. Any great deals for renting?
2. What are the most econimcal areas of the city that are near the beach?
3. My wife works in communications (PR). Are these types of jobs hard to find?
4. How is the city transit system?
5. How high can hurricane insurance be?
6. Are there ice hockey rinks to play at?
7. What is the young adult scene like?
8. Good non-denominational churches?
9. Any other advice?

I really appreciate the input if you have any.

Thanks!

Jon
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
1 & 2 will have to be answered by a realtor.
3. Check out Careerbuilder.com, there are well over a thousand jobs listed in the charleston area.
4. City bus system sucks, no rail at all.
5. Very depending on where you live, goes along with 1 & 2
6. Yes very nice one, we also have an ECHL team.
7. With over ten colleges, universities, tech schools, etc... there is a grand young adult scene.
8. Yes, there are atleast three that I can think of: Sea Coast, Catherdral of Praise and Faith Christian.
9. Depening on where you are coming from be prepared for an eye opening experience. If you are NewYoorker, don't act like one or you will be treated like one and you will be one of the very unhappy transplants that live here.

Good luck

Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
OTC's got most of them answered, so I'll get the first two.

1. It is possible to get something 'sort of near' to downtown for under $180. Mostly condos, but some nice ones for sure. Renting to get the feel of the place may be good idea, depends upon your circumstances.

2. Most economical would be rural West Ashley, then West Ashley up off 61, then perhaps James Island to Mount Pleasant.
jim

Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,353 times
James Island has a young crowd.....yes, you can easily find a condo for $180 or less, much less actually - you can buy a whole house in Summerville or Goose Creek too if you wanted for that price...also, I would suggest the Park Circle area for great new condos - Mount Pleasant has townhomes less than that also (1500 sq ft, 2 story) and it's really close to the beach and downtown.....

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 AM

27 posts, read 76,959 times
Thanks for the advice. I am going to be flown down for a personal interview this coming Friday. If I stay for the weekend, what should I go see? My potential location of employment would be in Mt. Pleasant. Are there any places I should check out there? Are there good Condos or apartments for rent in that area? I am not looking to buy, but rent for a year and get to know the area.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM

314 posts, read 439,537 times
Mt Plesant has some really nice areas, I have a friend that rents a house over there. Also, there is Daniel Island, really nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area