Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,248 times

Advertisements

Hola,

Looking to move to Charleston, and seeking some help/advice. We're both 25 years old, with college degrees (hers in elementary ed, and mine in marine bio, and political science) looking for a change of pace/weather.

I spent my freshmen year at CofC so I'm semi-familiar with the area, and we are both excited about the possibility of going back.

1) We are def looking at renting as opposed to buying a house/condo. Between our college loans, and neither of us working in our primary fields (I’m currently a bartender, she is a bank teller) we haven't exactly built up a down payment. I've always lived within sight of the ocean, and if possible I'd like to continue that. Considering our limited budget, any options?

I was looking at places like folly beach, James Island, or Daniel Island. Even if we can't see the water, walking distance would be nice. Pref under 1k a month. Less would be even better ($800). Size isn't an issue, studio or 1brm is fine. We do want it to be in a safe neighborhood. I love to surf, and she loves the sand. Is there hope?

2) Speaking of budget...

One of the reasons why we are moving (besides the winter) is lack of jobs in Southern Maine. What’s it like for elementary ed. teachers in the area? To give some perspective, the local school had literally 100’s applications for a single unadvertised job opening this year. She's desperate to use her degree, but we are worried about the possibility of "rougher" schools. Thoughts?

As for me, I'm aware there are a couple of higher ed/state/gov agencies in the area where my marine bio could come in handy. Plus, I'm a pretty good bartender, and from what I remember downtown Charleston had a pretty good bar scene. Is this still the case?

If worse comes to worse, I'm hoping that I can just continue to bartend, and she can continue to work in banking till we find something more stable.

So, any help/advice?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Below copied from another post that I posted, also the school my wife teaches at has two current openings, one is currently filled until December when the long term sub will be moving.

We usually have more openings than we do teachers to fill them.

There are several levels of certificatons of certification: Early Childhood which is CD to G 3, Elementary 1-8 then High School. Need to have Praxis Test for what which ever seriew you are going to go for.

You can take up to a year to get your certifications done, but you only get paid for as a first year teacher no matter how many years in service.

That is why it is better to have your certs before you get here.

Like DJ said, contact one of the local school districts or the state school board and they can let you know what you need to do to have all of your ducks in a row before you set your foot in the door.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM

81 posts, read 349,165 times
You're going to have a hard time finding a rental in your price range close to the beach. I'd suggest West Ashley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area