Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

132 posts, read 336,552 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain what the culture shock feels like when you move to Charleston? Is it easy to fit in moving from out of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Much of that depends on you and your interests. I'm from Charleston but have many friends that have moved to town. The reputation is that it can be hard, but I don't know that this is an accurate impression. I think it applies more to what would be considered the "old Charleston" crowd. I notice that you're from Ohio. There are plenty of people here that have made the move from Ohio, so it must not be too bad. There is a bar around the corner from me that it the home of the Ohio State Alumni or something like that. They gather for the games on Saturday.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 AM

132 posts, read 336,552 times
So what you are saying if I am hearing you right is that it can be hard to fit in if you don't have similar interest with the people of Charleston. I am an active person who loves to play most any kind of sport, spend time in the outdoors, going to the beach, and things like that. I get that type of feel from the Charleston area. I am also a teacher so I hope that I will be able to make quick friends in school. The most important part of my life is the church. I love taking an active role in the church. I am a strong Christian so I hope to make many Christian friends in the church. Church seems to be a very important part of Charleston life, which is one reason I am so drawn to Charleston.

So would the culture shock come more into play if I moved to the Charleston vicinity (Summerville, James Island, West Ashley) with absolutely no common interest with the everyday citizen? Is this what you are trying to describe?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss015 View Post
So what you are saying if I am hearing you right is that it can be hard to fit in if you don't have similar interest with the people of Charleston. I am an active person who loves to play most any kind of sport, spend time in the outdoors, going to the beach, and things like that. I get that type of feel from the Charleston area. I am also a teacher so I hope that I will be able to make quick friends in school. The most important part of my life is the church. I love taking an active role in the church. I am a strong Christian so I hope to make many Christian friends in the church. Church seems to be a very important part of Charleston life, which is one reason I am so drawn to Charleston.

So would the culture shock come more into play if I moved to the Charleston vicinity (Summerville, James Island, West Ashley) with absolutely no common interest with the everyday citizen? Is this what you are trying to describe?
My point is more that some activities and interests lend themselves more to meeting people and social life than others and thus provide more opportunities. Based on what you describe, you should have no problem. There are adult sports leagues, the beach is of course a good place, and you should have no trouble finding a church you like. You will be fine, and I think you will find that people welcome you.

The Charleston City Paper can be a good resource for finding activities.

Charleston City Paper - Charleston - Food | Music | Events | Arts | News

Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
I don't think you'll experience any "culture shock" My husband and family are from Ohio and love it here. They said they only difference is that church was different with festivals and stuff. Here we have a lot of community functions not as much Church festivals and dinners. I moved from Florida and it feels the same to me. There are many people from all over the country who have moved here....It is just like anywhere else, only with sweet tea!

I guess it might depend on where you live in Charleston also. But I feel totally at home in Mount Pleasant.

Last edited by beachme; 10-25-2008 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: wanted add..

Old 10-25-2008, 09:27 AM

81 posts, read 349,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss015 View Post
Can anyone explain what the culture shock feels like when you move to Charleston? Is it easy to fit in moving from out of the state?
I moved to Charleston in 2006 from Maryland (we're moving back in less than a week). We went through total culture shock when we got here. We moved due to a job transfer and came down here sight unseen (neither my husband nor I had ever been to SC prior). We made the mistake of renting in Goose Creek near the Weapons Station (where he works) in what we like to refer to as "Little Mexico". We were blown away at the Hispanic population down here in comparision to MD. We were told by everyone before we moved that "people in the south are so nice"....not true. As stated in a previous post, i've found that those who have been here forever tend to have much better manners than those who have not but the people here are just as rude as those up north IMO. The traffic is just as bad so that wasn't a big difference. I think the biggest shock to us was the fact that NOTHING gets done quickly down here and almost everything is closed on Sunday.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
this place has pretty much became a melting pot, there should be no real culture shock

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
As a southerner (born & raised in SC) who has been in and out of Charleston, Columbia and many of the surrounding areas all my life, I warn people of the culture shock when they move here. It is different from what you would expect somewhere else, but I love it! The pace of life is slow, things are done at a slower pace, etc.

People are in culture shock here like I was when I visited DC a few times. I was blown away! Huge culture shock!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 125,095 times
I definitely got a culture shock when I moved to Charleston. The pace of things was so slow compared to Jersey. Everything is closed on Sunday, which is quite aggravating at times. That whole "southern hospitality" thing was a lie for sure. On top of that, I'm not a fan of southern-style food. I've been here 3.5 years and still it doesnt really feel like "home" to me.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Jersey, what part of Jersey are you from?

I grew up in South Jersery just outside of AC, maybe I can give you some advise as to where to look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area