Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:05 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Is this weather wierd or what???It is only 70 degrees now here in Charleston, SC. I just checked the weather and temps in other cities in the country on MSN and found that in both Boston, MA andWashington D.C it is only 5 degrees cooler and in Philadelphia it is the same as here (70 degrees) and in Denver, Colorado it is 72 degrees -- the same as it is in Savannah now. Jacksonville, FL is also only 70 degrees! Shouldn't we be in the 80's or at least high 70's this time of year?

Wow! I just checked New Orleans which is much farther south and they are only 71 degrees yet Austin and San Antonio Tx are 79 and 81 respectively.

We endured six months of 90+ degree weather from the end of April to the end of September and had just two weeks of nice 80's temps in early October and now for the past almost two weeks it seem like winter sometimes not even reaching 70. I thought here in the subtropics it would be a lot warmer during the fall months than we've had the past few weeks.

I guess the reason is we've been hit and will continue to be hit by about a half dozen cold fronts according to Forecast Discussion - NOAA's National Weather Service

I guess that explains it.

Still I hope after the cold fronts go though and things return to normal we'll be treated to some warmer temps for November and December at least. I feel a little gyped having moved all this way only for 5 degrees warmer temperature than it is where I moved from. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Charleston Weather | Average Temperatures, Rainfall, Sunset Times in Charleston South Carolina

Here are the average monthly readings for Charleston (looks like AFB; Customs House extremes for Jan are 59/44).

Old 10-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Charleston Weather | Average Temperatures, Rainfall, Sunset Times in Charleston South Carolina

Here are the average monthly readings for Charleston (looks like AFB; Customs House extremes for Jan are 59/44).
Thanks for the link to that site. It gives me some hope.... with its average high temperature for October for Charleston being set at 77 degrees (or a range between 82 and 72 -- which is what I would expect). For the past two weeks it hasn't even felt like its reached the low of that range.

Also, isn't the AFB a little cooler than the city of Charleston?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 PM

In winter, AFB is usually a little warmer during the day and colder (sometimes by 10-15 degrees) at night. In spring (March, April), it might be as much as 5-10 degrees warmer (and a lot less windy) at AFB than at the Customs House.

Blame/credit that Ocean.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 PM

81 posts, read 349,184 times
LOL it gets SUPER cold here, a lot, during the Winter.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine750wife View Post
LOL it gets SUPER cold here, a lot, during the Winter.
I moved here last December and then it was warmer than it is now but in January and February it got colder but I expected that.

I just don't like it being so hot that it is too hot to enjoy being outside for 6 months and then have it drop 20 points or more to where you have to wear a sweater or long sleeves. I'd expect that there would ordinarily be a period of at least a few months where it gradually gets cooler where the highs go from the 90's to the 80s and high 70's for a few months. We should be in that period now.

I hope at least that if we have to endure a cold fall we'll have a warm winter and it will all average out.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM

From what I remember, there is usually a "cold snap" in Oct that may bring a freeze to the Upcountry. Then it will warm back-up, with the first freeze (light) in late Nov.-early Dec.. After that, "winter" consists of warm spells punctuated by sudden drops as the fronts swing-in from the NW.

But just when you start thinking winter in wimpy, you get one like 1973 where it snowed 6", or '68 (or perhaps '67) where the temp at the AFB was 8F. That really messes with the locals. FYI, a "bad winter" is one where (A) It snows (forget snowdepth) or (B) It gets into the teens more than once.

One difference I've noticed today over what I was used to growing up in the dark ages (50's-60's) was that it often gets in the 70's in Jan.; that never used to happen.
Global warming at work.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
It has been a little cooler this month. In the past when the "Coastal Carolina Fair" comes to town is when we can normally expect the cooler temps and the rain to come. The weather from now until April is really unpredictable. One day it can be in the 70's and the next 50's.

On this website you can put in a month and it will tell you the coldest/warmest temps by day instead of a monthly average.
NWS Charleston, SC - Local Climate Data (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/chs/climate_local.shtml - broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 AM

81 posts, read 349,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I moved here last December and then it was warmer than it is now but in January and February it got colder but I expected that.

I just don't like it being so hot that it is too hot to enjoy being outside for 6 months and then have it drop 20 points or more to where you have to wear a sweater or long sleeves. I'd expect that there would ordinarily be a period of at least a few months where it gradually gets cooler where the highs go from the 90's to the 80s and high 70's for a few months. We should be in that period now.

I hope at least that if we have to endure a cold fall we'll have a warm winter and it will all average out.
If you don't like it so hot in the summer, SC isn't for you. The summer here is horrible...you can't do anything most days because it's too hot to be healthy.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I love the weather here...just cool enough to feel like fall/winter..but no nasty snow and ice to deal with. I did that in NJ and it is not fun!!!
The summers are nice too. I mean I lived in Florida for many years and it was too darn hot all the time. I am enjoying having my windows open during the day and flipping my gas fire place when I want to take the chill off.
How can anyone complain about 70's???? It is suppose to get down in the 30's at night this week..but I am sure everywhere else North will be even colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area