Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times

Advertisements

What is the Atlantic Conducto?

Ok, well since you brought it what is the difference between weather and climate?

The polar ice caps have been getting thicker faster for the past few years, record snow falls the last few years.

What is climate other than weather trends?

And one last thing who says that todays temperaturs are the 'ideal' temperature for the planet? Back many years ago (950~1100 AD) before the evils of the industrial revolution planet wide (have to extrapulate since these records only show European Temps) temperatures hit record highs for many years with out a single plane, train or automobile.

The Medieval Warm Period

Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
What is the Atlantic Conducto?

Ok, well since you brought it what is the difference between weather and climate?

The polar ice caps have been getting thicker faster for the past few years, record snow falls the last few years.

What is climate other than weather trends?

And one last thing who says that todays temperaturs are the 'ideal' temperature for the planet? Back many years ago (950~1100 AD) before the evils of the industrial revolution planet wide (have to extrapulate since these records only show European Temps) temperatures hit record highs for many years with out a single plane, train or automobile.

The Medieval Warm Period
Good questions interlaced with some incorrect info:

Glaciers Are Melting Faster Than Expected, UN Reports

Most Alaskan Glaciers Retreat and Thin - US News and World Report

EORC | Seen from Space - Huge glaciers retreat on a large scale in Patagonia, South America (Part 2)

Global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Warming May Alter Atlantic Currents, Study Says

Please note, it's also called the North Atlantic Conveyor.

Part of it is called "The Gulf Stream".

Climate - Weather Vs. Climate

Last edited by Geechie North; 11-19-2008 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Still didn't answer my question, what makes you think that the current temperature is the corrct temperature for the planet, how do you explain the other warm periods long before the industrial revolution, and the simple fact that climate is just a trend of weather over time, therefore climate is weather....

Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM

I can post just as many articles debunking Global warming as you can trying to prove it.

JunkScience.com -- The Real Inconvenient Truth: Greenhouse, global warming and some facts
NCPA - BA #230 - Myths of Global Warming (http://www.ncpa.org/ba/ba230.html - broken link)
Debunking Modern Climate Myths
Science Has Spoken: Global Warming Is a Myth (http://www.junkscience.com/news/robinson.htm - broken link)
The Global Warming Folly - Man Made Global Warming Debunking News and Links

All of them pointing out that Global warming is bunk.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Styrofoam is bad stuff but even in my relatively environment-conscious community, we can't afford the technology required to recycle the stuff. (Small town here.) I think we may very well be banning it locally and it can't be to soon as far as I am concerned. It's gross.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Please stay on topic and let's try not to name call. Maturity goes a long way!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Still didn't answer my question, what makes you think that the current temperature is the corrct temperature for the planet, how do you explain the other warm periods long before the industrial revolution, and the simple fact that climate is just a trend of weather over time, therefore climate is weather....

First, climate has natural variations, but if you check sites which are peer reviewed, you'll find that this latest warming is a result of man-made activities (i.e., Greenhouse Gasses).

As for "corrct temperature", there is obviously not one, as you point out. However, History shows us that civilization functions best in a very limited temp/precip range.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

And similar peers call those same results bunk, as I showed in the above post.

When in History was it shown that we function better in any particular temp/precipitation range?

With warming temperatures we can grow more food, have more water and therefore support more people.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM

No, not peers.

OIl Company shills, etc.

Regardless what you hear on Glen Beck, the scientific community has reached consensus on this issue.

Your other questions can be answered via basic research. But you do raise a valid point re: increased carbon dioxide and plant growth.

I suggest you look for a study on that topic out of SC (local tie-in) Re: poison ivy.

Think we've exhausted this topic.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

No the scientific community has not reached a consensus, as I have pointed out from other scientific web sites, NOT Glen Beck, I don't listen to Glen Beck.

Former Science Mag Editor Speaks Out Against Global Warming Hysteria | NewsBusters.org
Home - Global Warming Petition Project

what do you meant 'Re: poison ivy'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area