Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 10:10 AM

42 posts, read 103,619 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I are looking to move back to SC...My husband was in the Navy there for many many years, but I am unfamiliar with the towns. Any suggestions on what coastals type towns are nice and not really touristy...we would like pet friendly, and a good high school for our daughter. We are in search of a long term rental that is affordable also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Summerville for the better schools, check with one of the realtors for rentals or purchases.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM

42 posts, read 103,619 times
we have been looking around the Beaufort area? Should I look around somewhere else? What else is close to the water that fits what we need?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Beaufort is pretty far from Charleston, not sure about that area, I do know that Dorchester District 2 schools are better than the ones down there.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
Mount Pleasant has an excellent HS. However, rentals will be between 1200-1500 at a min. for a SFH.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,765 times
I am sending you a DM about the H.S.... info I wish I'd had before choosing Mt. P...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
Really? Curious about what you have to say about Wando HS? I have a daughter there is she is doing great and they have excellent test scores and high rate of college entry.

My biggest negative about Wando HS is the amount of $ in this area a lot of spoiled rich kids and all the fun stuff that comes with it. But I guess it's better than gangs, guns and such...

Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Really? Curious about what you have to say about Wando HS? I have a daughter there is she is doing great and they have excellent test scores and high rate of college entry.

My biggest negative about Wando HS is the amount of $ in this area a lot of spoiled rich kids and all the fun stuff that comes with it. But I guess it's better than gangs, guns and such...
She is definitely thriving there... I think you and I are on the same page.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,486 times
Default moving to beaufort

Hello, Beaufort does have a touristy element to it, but it's mainly seasonal, and not that noticeable. The downtown waterfront is quiet and peaceful, but rather pricey for the shops and eating. We homeschool our children, so can't recommend the schools. I hear that Battery Creek HS is ghetto, and Beaufort High, actually located on Lady's Island is much better, but my kids don't go near public schools!! There seems to be ample housing available in Beaufort, and obviously, because of the economy it would be great time to buy if you got the $$$. There are dozens and dozens of houses for sale in this area. Let me know if you have any more questions, cc

Old 12-26-2008, 11:12 PM

132 posts, read 336,640 times
Bluffton is a really nice area in Beaufort County. The schools are pretty good there too. A friend of mine teaches at one of the elementary schools. I am a middle school teacher thinking about relocating to Beaufort County. It is a little farther down my list though only because I think life would get a bit boring in the fall, winter, and summer seasons with less to do. I thought Beaufort County was amazing until I went to Charleston last week. One word that describes Charleston...Breathtaking! If you are looking coastal like me you will find Chaleston, visit, and then stop looking because you found your perfect coastal city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area