Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Nonsense. You're crazy.
exactly Led, I just lived in Philadelphia for the last 10 years and I am southern and black. Baltimore has alot of racism, as does Philadelphia and southern Jersey. It might be more subtle than in the deep south but It is still just as insidious.

you have people of other ethnic backgrounds but are white saying the most racist things about blacks(the italian, polish, ukranian and def. irish community) ; you have black ghetto folk that say the most racist things in the office, or on the streets. the segregation of all the different races is still very apparent in the northern cities as they are in the south. go to Philadelphia or baltimore where the cities are run by so called progressive democrats and yet there are still ghettos, black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods, etc. The union guys are wicked racist and live in lots of these segregated neigbhorhoods and have the most vile racist viewpoints.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Hogwash. This never happened. MUSC is well populated by liberals, and I can promise you that NO professor at MUSC who did that would be employed the next day.

You know, lying like that is what reinforces the negative stereotypes about you. You should fix that problem. But please stay whereever it is you landed in 93..
hell they say the same thing at UPENN, Harvard and Yale up north.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I lived in and attended MUSC in Charleston in 1991-1993. All I can say is that a legitimate excuse for not attending a required "assembly on multi-culturalism" at MUSC in 1993 was that the speaker was black. Three students were excused by my professor because they all stated that their great-great-grandpapies owned slaves, and they would be damned if they were to sit and listen to a "n*****" speak. This was considered a legitimate excuse for not attending!! Need I say more? I graduated and was on the next plane out...never looked back. South Carolina was a true ****hole.
thanks you , they got the a hole out of our sh--hole!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 PM

315 posts, read 623,310 times
If you are the type of person that race matters a lot, and you go looking for racism, you'll find a way to find it or see it. You'll cry racism.

If you are the type of person that race matters none at all, and you don't look for racism, you'll rarely see it.......probably only when someone else is pointing to something you didn't see as racism, and calling it racism.

Thats racism in Charleston in a nutshell.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 AM

428 posts, read 831,401 times
I wonder when racism got elevated to one of the greatest crimes in the world. Somehow folks have made not liking people the equitable of rape, murder and child molestation. I'm Black and I know racism exist and may even hold some racist views myself (gasp), but I dont care. It doesnt bother me and I dont bother anyone else.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:12 AM

6 posts, read 14,797 times
Quote:
Nonsense. You're crazy.
Oo

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I wish this thread could end on your comments.

But it seems to go on and on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
If you are the type of person that race matters a lot, and you go looking for racism, you'll find a way to find it or see it. You'll cry racism.

If you are the type of person that race matters none at all, and you don't look for racism, you'll rarely see it.......probably only when someone else is pointing to something you didn't see as racism, and calling it racism.

Thats racism in Charleston in a nutshell.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Jpierpont, Seabass08, and greatblueheron......this is for you!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 AM

21 posts, read 54,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I wonder when racism got elevated to one of the greatest crimes in the world. Somehow folks have made not liking people the equitable of rape, murder and child molestation. I'm Black and I know racism exist and may even hold some racist views myself (gasp), but I dont care. It doesnt bother me and I dont bother anyone else.
great points, its beaten into the minds of everyone esp since the civil rights movement that you cant have a thought that isnt politically correct. you cant say or do anything that makes others feel uncomfortable unless of course if you are liberal and doing things that make others uncomfortable.

sure lots of people are racist, of all races and colors, its a sinful condition of man to judge others based on differences rather than on something an individual has done.

the only issue i have with racism is, when i want to go to a club, restaurant, bar, or live in a neighborhood--that my life or the life of my wife and child are threatened.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 103,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
exactly Led, I just lived in Philadelphia for the last 10 years and I am southern and black. Baltimore has alot of racism, as does Philadelphia and southern Jersey. It might be more subtle than in the deep south but It is still just as insidious.

you have people of other ethnic backgrounds but are white saying the most racist things about blacks(the italian, polish, ukranian and def. irish community) ; you have black ghetto folk that say the most racist things in the office, or on the streets. the segregation of all the different races is still very apparent in the northern cities as they are in the south. go to Philadelphia or baltimore where the cities are run by so called progressive democrats and yet there are still ghettos, black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods, etc. The union guys are wicked racist and live in lots of these segregated neigbhorhoods and have the most vile racist viewpoints.
I hear you -- I live in Philadelphia and you're right, this city is quite segregated. I work in an office that has a majority of black and Latino employees (mostly Puerto Ricans). People get along pretty well here, but there is very little interaction between the white and black employees outside of work (the Latinos seem to have their own subculture and often speak Spanish to each other). I hear my black coworkers say negative things about whites and I'm sure it's true vice-versa. Most people that work here live in neighborhoods that are predominantly white or predominantly black.

You are also correct in saying that many of these white ethnics and white union people are quite racist (I'm old enough to remember those terrible race riots in Boston in the seventies). The union officials, the office types, are more liberal, but go by any construction site and you will see that the skilled laborers and foremen are white and the manual laborers are black or Latino. I am not saying all of them are racist, but many live in neighborhoods like Fishtown, Bridesburg, Port Richmond, etc. where black people are not welcome. Even the highly vaunted Jersey Shore is segregated. At one time the only place blacks were allowed was in Atlantic City, and then only in a section called "chickenbone beach." You see some black people in Ocean City and in Cape May, but other shore areas are mostly white and at some, black people are not quite welcome (I'm not going to mention any names)!

Many whites around here move to South Jersey and the suburbs to get away from blacks and to a lesser extent, latinos (Asians are more acceptable, as long as there aren't a whole lot of them). Whites are already a minority here, at less than forty percent. I have a white friend who works as a therapist and the suburbs and he tells me about the horrible, incredibly racist things his client say about black people, stuff that you would think a Klansman would say. And they are teaching their kids to think like them.

"Progressive" whites talk about diversity but live in exclusive neighborhoods where there are very few blacks. People can live wherever they want, of course, but I think that's kind of hypocritical. It's the same situation in other cities like Chicago, New York, etc. Yet all the media talks about is the evils of the South.

I get tired of hearing apologists for racism say that if blacks "acted better" there wouldn't be so much racism. Many like to point out black crime as an excuse for dislking ALL black people, as if we act and think all alike. Well, I am a respectable, professional woman, have never used drugs, committed a crime, or been a baby mama -- in other words, I fit none of the racist stereotypes. Yet here in the North, where I grew up, I've been spit on, discriminated against, and called n*gger so many times that I lost count. My sister and I were driving along Roosevelt Blvd. about a month ago and some a-hole just hollered it out. Our crime? BWB (BREATHING WHILE BLACK)!

Personally I don't care what color a person is. Treat me with kindness and respect, and you'll get that in turn from me. If someone doesn't like me because of the color of my skin, well, that's their problem, not mine. I just don't want racist stupidity to impact negatively on my life or that of people I care about.

I really want to get out of here. I visited Charleston many years ago and thought it was nice, but it seemed a little slow for my taste. I am divorced now, but when I went down there it was with my husband, who is white. We got some stares, but nobody really bothered us.

Like many black people, I would like to retire down South. I am sick of the cold and all the nasty people here. My family comes from South Carolina and Florida. In a way it would be returning back to my roots. People talk about how racism is bad down there, but I'll take my chances. It can't be much worse than it is here.

well, thanks for reading my rant. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Casher O'Neill; 10-06-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area