Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I lived in and attended MUSC in Charleston in 1991-1993. All I can say is that a legitimate excuse for not attending a required "assembly on multi-culturalism" at MUSC in 1993 was that the speaker was black. Three students were excused by my professor because they all stated that their great-great-grandpapies owned slaves, and they would be damned if they were to sit and listen to a "n*****" speak. This was considered a legitimate excuse for not attending!! Need I say more? I graduated and was on the next plane out...never looked back. South Carolina was a true ****hole.

Hogwash. This never happened. MUSC is well populated by liberals, and I can promise you that NO professor at MUSC who did that would be employed the next day.

You know, lying like that is what reinforces the negative stereotypes about you. You should fix that problem. But please stay whereever it is you landed in 93..

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,161 times
Default Yes, and the further from the city the worse it gets!

I have family in Goose Creek, Bowman and Columbia. I am in a bi-racial relationship. My husband is 1/2 african american. I found the racism in SC to be horrible. We caught the most from african american women and caucasian men. Just going to Wal-Mart was stressful. I live in Baltimore where no one even notices, because inter-racial dating/marriages are so common. I would hate to have a mixed child down there, they wouldn't be accepted by anyone.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
[quote=79transam;20809473]I have family in Goose Creek, Bowman and Columbia. I am in a bi-racial relationship. My husband is 1/2 african american. I found the racism in SC to be horrible. We caught the most from african american women and caucasian men. Just going to Wal-Mart was stressful. I live in Baltimore where no one even notices, because inter-racial dating/marriages are so common. I would hate to have a mixed child down there, they wouldn't be accepted by anyone.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is quite a broad statement and an unfair one. We have at least 10-12 bi-racial students at the school where I teach on James Island and no one (students, teachers, or parents) give it a second thought. Those children have as many friends and opportunities as any other child...and yes, they are included in birthday parties, play dates, and sleepovers.

It's nice that "no one notices" in Baltimore, so obviously you have found the right fit for your family.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM

259 posts, read 554,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post

Wow, that is quite a broad statement and an unfair one. We have at least 10-12 bi-racial students at the school where I teach on James Island and no one (students, teachers, or parents) give it a second thought. Those children have as many friends and opportunities as any other child...and yes, they are included in birthday parties, play dates, and sleepovers.

It's nice that "no one notices" in Baltimore, so obviously you have found the right fit for your family.
Yes, it was a broad statement...but this is this person's experience. Also if I'm not mistaken there are rules in school regarding this type of behavior. My husband and I had the horror of listening to a real estate agent say very nasty racial things about the "N...." of Johns Island and how lazy, uneducated, on welfare....etc. etc. How these people just don't care about education and that is why the good people of Kiawah, Seabrook, Mt Pleasent,: all don't bother with the public schools and place their darlings in private schools. How 60+ % of Charleston country is black and just doesn't care about anything but getting welfare.

Also, we recently had some work done on our floors. The gentleman who did the work is in a bi-racial marriage with children. He stated that his children who are bi-racial have experienced some ugly things at school. He was glad that the zero tolerance bullying rules had been implimented, so that now when this occurs there is recourse.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 PM

She may have had a bad experience but she is being stereotypical...the very thing she is complaining about. It has to end somewhere. I have lived her for 28 years and know hundreds of people, none of whom say/make those types of racial slurs or have the attitudes you speak of. It is one thing to say, "My family had some bad experiences there," and quite another to say that bi-racial children wouldn't be accepted by "anyone" down here. This "All ________ are _______" attitude is what perpetuates the problem.

I hope you reported that real estate agent to the Board of Realtors.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
She may have had a bad experience but she is being stereotypical...the very thing she is complaining about. It has to end somewhere. It does have to end and I hope it's some time soon. But usually the only way we hear about some of these things is when the people it affects speak out. Yet, many times when people speak out other's say it just isn't so.

I have lived her for 28 years and know hundreds of people, none of whom say/make those types of racial slurs or have the attitudes you speak of. It is one thing to say, "My family had some bad experiences there," and quite another to say that bi-racial children wouldn't be accepted by "anyone" down here. You are absolutely correct.

This "All ________ are _______" attitude is what perpetuates the problem. Your are right.

I hope you reported that real estate agent to the Board of Realtors. I've contacted the appropriate state agency. The board of Realtors only govern Realtors who belong to their group. Unsure if it's required in SC to belong. Many Realtors are not required to join by state law in their state.

Open communication and the ability to hear what someone is saying, (I can attest to the fact that I don't do this always...but I do try, ask my dh ) regardless of how they are saying it...and stepping in when it is over heard...will do much to squash these attitudes......

Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM

18 posts, read 23,866 times
Default The Southern Whiteracist Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leothelion82 View Post
Also I was just wondering if you could tell me about the area a little. I have heard about racism being a problem there, how bad is it?
It has been my personal experience that the degree of animosity displayed by alert white citizens toward many members of the black citizenry has everything to do with antisocial criminal behavior on the part of the latter -- most particularly on the part of young black males. There are three dead white women in my liberal neighborhood in Oakland, California who were stabbed to death by black men. Two of the women were found by their husbands.

In the third murder, which happened in a house I can see outside my front window, the husband came home from work to find his pediatrician wife dead with her throat cut. The lady next door, also a pediatrician, told my wife she was sure the husband did it. But the suspect husband had a friend in the FBI who told him to watch for signs that someone was using his wife's credit cards. Someone was, and it turned out to be the man who was installing carpets in the murdered woman's house.

I, for one, notice little things like this, and anyone who is blind to them has been seriously diseducated.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Paul View Post
It has been my personal experience that the degree of animosity displayed by alert white citizens toward many members of the black citizenry has everything to do with antisocial criminal behavior on the part of the latter -- most particularly on the part of young black males. There are three dead white women in my liberal neighborhood in Oakland, California who were stabbed to death by black men. Two of the women were found by their husbands.

In the third murder, which happened in a house I can see outside my front window, the husband came home from work to find his pediatrician wife dead with her throat cut. The lady next door, also a pediatrician, told my wife she was sure the husband did it. But the suspect husband had a friend in the FBI who told him to watch for signs that someone was using his wife's credit cards. Someone was, and it turned out to be the man who was installing carpets in the murdered woman's house.

I, for one, notice little things like this, and anyone who is blind to them has been seriously diseducated.
just wondering what your point is?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
just wondering what your point is?
I was wondering the same thing....

Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM

15 posts, read 67,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
People from the Northeast want out so bad but then they want to compare and transform a place into the Northeast. It's easier to just stay in the place that you love. If the taxes are too high get involved and make a change in the North East. They complain about the heat and humidity down south yet they want out of the snow. No place is perfect. Take the good with the bad.

I'm from NY but live in AZ now and I hear the same crap from these people from NY. Too hot, racist, food stinks, blah blah blah....

Anyway ended up on this thread looking for info on Charleston for a retirement place. We are what you could call a mixed couple as well. I am not worried about it though and never have been.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife and I are considering moving to the Charleston area but if the transplants are trying to transform the area into anything remotely similar to the North East then I will stay here in Texas. Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area