Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

i think the racism is just as bad here up north as it is down home in south carolina. the cities are not as bad as the rural areas, but Jersey and Pa are considered new homelands of the aryan nations and brother hood. they burned a cross in a couples yard right in south philly a few years ago

what i experince in the south is stares and ignoranct shunning, but i experience in parts of the north too

Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
BTW, I don't think the slang expression "going south" has anything to do with the American South as a region. On a map, north is up and south is down -- if the economy heads south that means it's going down, i.e. in recession. People in the UK use the term "going south" as well. In the UK, the South is the posh, snooty part of the country and the north is stereotyped as the cracker part of England, so if the expression were based on regional stereotypes, they should say "going north" to mean something's deteriorating, but that's not the case. The expression just is not based on regional stereotype. Sorry to disabuse anyone of such a silly notion.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 120,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I think what wild is describing is more Prejudice not racism, Bob has asked a good question and Leo has given the text book definition of the word and by the definition racism is not as prominant as most think.

People do not go around linching the local Negros, not that this hasn't happened in the past, for looking at a white girl. You do see some interacial couples, the further you get from the city the fewer you see.

The problem with interacial couples around here is that they are not accepted by either race the blacks and whites will both equally shun an interacial couple.
I disagree with you...I have several friends,- a guy that my husband works with - black, who is married to a white woman...They are a great couple, and are very accepted...I think the people that tend not to accept this lifestyle are the older, older people who grew up in a different time period where interracial couples were truly widely shunned and frowned upon (I am definately not condoning this behavior). But, for the most part, I feel like society widely accepts this lifestyle. You will always find people who have a problem with something you do no matter what it is...I don't think race has anything to do with it...

Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,665 times
I think many Northerners are well trained in political correctness and are taught certain words ie: negro, colored are unacceptable...perhaps Southerners use some old style language that seems right out of the politically incorrect handbook (not necessarily with malice)...are the underlying attitudes, prejudices and fears the same?...I think so. (and it goes both ways) I can also attest to the fact that the work "*****" is still alive and well up here in NH/MASS

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

i was just home this month-mt pleasant--and i find that is more comfortable than 20 years ago, but my wife and i tend to still feel the coldness of many of the people when they know we are together. in MP, people are not as bad as on the charleston side-maybe income and education , but i did meet some nice people in goose creek and west ashley who didnt care that we were an interracial couple--though the people were medical interns from Texas

Old 01-30-2009, 01:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Every Friday the secretary and I go to Lunch here in Huger, there is only one place out here, she is an attractive black women about the same age as I, even though she looks younger.

You should see the way the other blacks that live around her and don't know that we just work together look at us, first they notice her then they look at me like 'What is she doing with him'. This is especialy true of the younger black males....

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM

OTC: ditto, you should see the whites look when my wife, she is white i am black go out to dinner--we dont even try to go fishing on the lakes or camping, nooo way. we have to stay within suburban areas where people have common sense and education or the people will come up and say things and stare.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
OTC: ditto, you should see the whites look when my wife, she is white i am black go out to dinner--we dont even try to go fishing on the lakes or camping, nooo way. we have to stay within suburban areas where people have common sense and education or the people will come up and say things and stare.

The only people I've ever heard of actually approaching a person and saying something about them being in an interracial relationship are blacks...not whites.

So, you want people to believe you can't go fishing on the lakes or camping and that you must stay in suburban areas? Come on...give me a break. That's the height of paranoia.

It doesn't take an education to be accepted...nor does common sense only exist within suburban areas. That's a cop out in my opinion.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 51,857 times
I'll keep it simple. Like any college town, racially-mixed couples are well-received Downtown/on-campus and where open-minded educated Charlestonians congregate. North Charleston's mixed-race couples tend to be the crack man and his ho.

I was raised in Jehovah's Witnesses and as such never bore any real prejudice, but I'm guilty of some innocent mistakes. I'm a guitar teacher as well as bass guitar. I had a lady-white-call me for bass lessons for her husband who then emailed me. We were to meet at a local store. I went to the store and waited around for a white guy to show up and the student, African American and a Marine, was there the whole time. Egg On My Face!!!! The lessons worked out, and I had to make the excuse that I was waiting to hear from him on the phone for directions-which I was, but he GPS'd the guitar shop on his wife's car and then drove his non-GPS car to the store. It might have happened without my assuming that they were a same-race couple, given that he was new to Chuck, up from Paris Island and was supposed to call for directions once he "hit" the main surface street. Still: EGG ON MY FACE!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM

12 posts, read 51,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
The only people I've ever heard of actually approaching a person and saying something about them being in an interracial relationship are blacks...not whites.

So, you want people to believe you can't go fishing on the lakes or camping and that you must stay in suburban areas? Come on...give me a break. That's the height of paranoia. Dude, go fishing on the lakes with your wife. If anybody has the temerity to make an issue of it, politely ask them to leave y'all be or you will have no choice but to call 911. Make it clear that calling 911 is doing them a favor given the alternative. I can tell you that Charleston is not "The Dirty South" nearly as much as other little SC towns. If you want to start more slowly, if you've not already, y'all should go downtown in the King@Calhoun through the Market/East Bay/Battery/Anson part. Honestly, that's the only part of the city where people of class and intelligence congregate in a racially mixed community. The other clubs are mostly-black or mostly-white and are spilling over with drunks and dealers of "hard" drugs. Equally Oprortunity Scumbaggery

It doesn't take an education to be accepted...nor does common sense only exist within suburban areas. That's a cop out in my opinion.
You're right and wrong. It is more likely than not that an EDUCATED PERSON will also happen to be an open minded person about race-mixed couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area