U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2011, 03:57 PM

637 posts, read 723,437 times
I found a video of some WTAT ads from 1985 (when they signed on). It begins at about 5:25. Includes ads from Tom Parsell Chevrolet, WEZL, and several others. At 12:19 is an ad for Y-102, WXLY (then a country station). That is why the station is WXLY.

YouTube - ‪Local TV 1985 South Carolina North Carolina Virginia Maryland.wmv‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,712,607 times
Tom Parsell "under the flag", his personal landmark that still stands today!

that, the kmart and ihop are the only places that still stand from back then IIRC... until u get further down where Bessingers is

Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Well, I was just thinking about this. There's a new group on Facebook (over 500 members in one day!) that wants to make a brand new drive-in movie theater in the Charleston area. The closest one now is in Beaufort, but they want to build one here.

Some we had include the North 52 drive-in, one West Ashley, and one in Moncks Corner.

Do you remember drive-ins?
Used to be the Four Mile drive-in on Meeting St. Rd.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suec61 View Post
Sears was on Calhoun street and had escalatorsChicora high schoolCross County Road was dirtThe only IHOP in town was on Savannah Hwy
When I was in high school Sears was catty cornered from the Francis Marion Hotel. Then they built the new one behind the Francis Marion.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluffmud Henry View Post
I remember the crosswalk but over Calhoun @ where?
I don't think it was across Calhoun...it was a few blocks north or Calhoun. Across Mary or John or one of those I think.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPbaby View Post
I did some research because that crosswalk thing was bugging me. I knew a store had one but didn't recall ever seeing a crosswalk over Calhoun St. If meks and I are thinking about the same St. Francis (there was only one in town I know of - I had 3 of my 4 kids there), the building is still there and there was never anything on Calhoun to attach a crosswalk. Besides, pretty much all that in the area was hospital stuff, plus a gas station and the old museum grounds. I think meks is right that it was Condon's that had the crosswalk and from what I read researching that store, I believe it was where Planet Smoothie is now, at the corner of King and Warren. Based on what was written, the crosswalk would've been across Warren Street, from building to building. I have a vague memory of riding down King and looking down a sidestreet to view the crosswalk. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Below is an excerpt (copied and pasted) from the website I was reading:

James F. Condon, an Irish immigrant fleeing the great Irish potato famine, opened a fabric store in 1896 at 434 King Street, bearing the family name. His wife was an expert dressmaker and would cut out and sew dresses for customers, including our first brides. In 1902 two lots across the street were purchased and a wood building built on the site in 1903. The two-story building included a store on the first floor and the family residence above. Later the Condon's shoe store was built next door. In 1912 the Condon Corporation was formed with James F. Condon as President and Treasurer. The original officers included his sons James Joseph Condon (vice president), Matthew A. Condon (secretary) and William F. Condon. In 1914 a brick building was erected at 431 King St. and additional buildings built from 1920 through 1930. The next major change initiated by the company was in 1948 when a large new facility was added to the south side of Warren St., across from the existing store...
Yes....you are correct.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
IOPbaby, thanks for doing the research on this 'cuz it was starting to bug me too after Meks' post, and I'm sure you're correct about it being over Warren St. I can still picture that crosswalk and I remember using a couple times as a child. Perhaps the crosswalk Meks is thinking about is the one that connects the old St.Francis hospital (tower addition) to a parking deck. That would be over Rutledge Ave I believe. I assume that crosswalk is still there.
I think the hospital one crosses Ashley Ave.........I think.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Does anyone remember, as I do, when Dorchester Rd. was dirt for several miles before it joined 17A ?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Interesting take on Summerville. We haven't had many mentions of them on here. 526 has been around since the early 90s, and the part in West Ashley since the early 1980s.

I'm younger, but I remember not long ago when the biggest store in the Summerville area was the one regular Wal-Mart on Main St. Now, how many Wal-Mart Supercenters are there? You have the Supercenter at North Main Market, the one at Oakbrook, the one in Goose Creek (the first super center in the area), and the one in Moncks Corner, plus the one on Rivers.
Anyone remember swimming at the Water Wheel (I think it was) outside Summerville? I think it's a catfish pond now.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Yeah, Sonny Goldbergs. Remember that annoying rap that he had for his ads in the late 80's or early
90's, "go, Sonny, go, Sonny, go, Sonny Goldberg, go......"??? He really did have good prices though. King Street.
"Sonny Goldberg...the King St. singer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area