Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 42,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
I lived right around the corner from WTMA's manager John Trenton back then... and still walk around doing the Wolfman Jack voice thing, the kids just look at me like I'm crazy.... lol

I've got some old pics laying around here somewhere... even of the old Charleston Inn that used to be on the right side of the marsh as you came over the Ashley River into downtown, or into Charleston as we said back then...
We played music at the Charleson Inn in '74?? I think the club was called the Zanzibar or Xanidu....not sure for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,723 times
Default Anyone recall a street festival by the Battery late 1972

It would have been late October or early November? I'm trying to put pieces of a vague memory back together, thanks Karl

Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,723 times
Default I found great stuff on the link

was a good thing to post here, appreciate it, Karl

Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM

845 posts, read 1,785,273 times
This thread comes back. I remember some more things now which you may have forgotten.

Remember when... it was a big deal in the mid 90s when the Bridge Run had over 10,000 finishers?
The local TV morning newscasts were only 30 minutes long (and the only news you saw was then, Noon, evening and 11)?
Ashley Phosphate wasn't filled with all those hotels?
Cane Bay was so far out there?
Our biggest sporting event of the year was Sertoma?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Remember this: 95SX, 1988:
95SX Talent Search - June 11 and 15, 1988 - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM

18 posts, read 21,154 times
My Mom took my sister and I there to buy dresses for school. We lived in Summerville. Going to Sears was a really big deal. There was always a Back to School dress sale. I can't remember the prices but we would get six dresses for $?? and we would have to share.Couldn't have been very expensive, as my dad was in the Navy. Back when you had to wear dresses to school, unless of course it was 32 degrees or below, then you could wear pants under your dress. I remember so many of the things you have mentioned above. We went to see, "Black Beard the Pirate", Disney movie at the drive in. One nearest the AirBase. It began to hail and by the time we got home our car had dents the size of golf balls all over the top and hood. We couldn't drive until it stopped hailing. We just laughed like crazy. I lived there from 1964 until 1977. I live in Oregon now and would move back to SC, especially the Summerville area in a heart beat. Went back for a visit last summer to look at colleges. My daughter is going to attend CSU next fall. I will have an excellent to return more often for visits.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM

Video from 1998 of the Charleston stations and their sports coverage. The Gamecock football team was bad.

1998 Tennessee-South Carolina Post Game Coverage from Charleston - YouTube

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,702 times
BTW, jetsfan16, Cane Bay is still so far out there ....especially when my friend is at the end in Del Webb!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,731,486 times
Anyone remember Big Jim O'Brien, local 1980's DJ with 95SX, 98Rock, then later 104.5? I'm friends with his wife, Kathi, and he isn't so "big"anymore....lost a lot of weight and looks great! They live in MI now, where he is producer and co-host on a Classic Rock station.

Also, remember Betsy Green, news co-anchor?

Last edited by SCBeaches; 04-10-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM

31 posts, read 104,801 times
Someone asked on the first few pages what the night club was on Montague Avenue, it was Rockin' Johns. Before that it was Hopping John's but the name was changed because someone downtown had the copyright to the name Hoppin' Johns. As for as someone also mentioning the 3 drive-in theaters, there were 4 drive-in theaters. The North 52, The Flamingo, The Magnolia, and the 4 Mile Drive-in on Meeting Street Road across from Rosemont. (Moncks Corner had a drive-in also)
I remember the Turkey Day Relays on the Battery in the early 60's. (I ran in it for Chicora High School.)
Anyone remember the Polaris Club on Rivers Avenue where Trident Tech is now? He He He. How about The Purple Tree Lounge on Rivers Avenue? The Cactus Drive-in restaurant? Claussen's Bakery? Tri-State? Miller's Department Store on Rivers Avenue? Mama Kates where 526 is now? Beacon Lanes Bowling Alley? The Piggy Park on Rutledge Avenue? Old Roper Hospital? How about the Highway Department on Rivers Avenue at Meeting Street Road where there is a day care now? Douan's Store on Rivers Avenue? The Fair downtown next to Johnson Hagood Stadium? How about Liberty Homes? The old (I mean old) North Charleston High School? The ESSO terminal fire? The Clover Farm blowing up on Meeting Street Road and killing 5 young kids? The Rifle Club burning down (I was the one who called 911 when it was on fire. I was at my mothers' (2 doors out from the Rifle Club)and I heard people yelling for help). How about the old cigar factory when it made cigars?

Last edited by TheVenturesFan; 04-13-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area